2010 High School Wrestling Mid-season Rankings

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
wrestlinghi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

2010 High School Wrestling Mid-season Rankings

Post by wrestlinghi »

Hawaii HS Wrestling Rankings Rankings

1- 108 Cassidy Oshiro - Mid Pac
2 Bradley Suda - McKinley
3 Amon Pollister-Kahuku
4 Sage Aoki- Kona
5 Chasen Yuu - Roosevelt
6 Ralph Ortega - Kealakehe
1-114 Jordan Ng - Punahou
2 Ryan Nakagawa - Kaiser
3 Jacob Palimoo - Moanalua
4 Marc Fagaragan - Iolani
5 Justin Hirae- KSH
6 McDaven Gumboc- Maui
1-120 David Terao - Mid Pacific
2 Devin Lee- KSK
3 Bryant Fukushima - Punahou
4 Nainoa Tompkins - Millilani
5 Nalu Souza - KSH
6 Brandt Yakabe - Kaiser
1-125 Todd Murakawa - Punahou
2 Brady Lafortane - Moanualua
3 George Chihara - Lahainaluna
4 Micah Andrade - KSK
5 Logan Bucsit - Farrington
6 Louis Smolka- Kapolei
1-130 Shayden Terukina - KSK
2 Jimmy Romualdo -Kona
3 Jon-Ross Okuda - Aiea
4 David Archangel - Lahainaluna
5 Sean Tachibana - Pac Five
6 Bryson Komatani - Moanalua
1-135 Bryan Peralta - Punahou
2 Jacob Luning-Hoshino - KSK
3 Bradley Viloria - Farrington
4 Shayden Apostodiro - Aiea
5 Kevin Dudoit - Molokai
6 L Cabanilla, Lahainaluna
1-140 Gaelen McCleary- Punahou
2 Chanse Uyeda - Lahaianluna
3 Bubba Reyes - Farrington
4 Wayne Kim - Waianae
5 Wong Ly - Hilo
6 Shayvis Wilson, Damien
1-145 Ian Akamine - Iolani
2 Rodney Howard - Radford
3 Blake Ball - Lahainaluna
4 Daeson Guillermo - Castle
5 Joshua Rivera-Farrington
6 Kelli Kwon - Millilani
1-152 Robert Ostovich- Moanalua
2 Isaiah Fonoti, Kamehameha
3 LJ Remillard - Punahou
4 Luis Pico - Lahainaluna
5 Jesse Kauhola - Kaiser
6 Bronson Kobayashi, HPA
1-160 Kameona Hokoana - KSK
2 Raynald Cooper - Pearl City
3 Jesse Carney - Kalaheo
4 Geo Chavez-Padini Honokaa
5 Zack Hernandez - Punahou
6 Jonathan Dinong - Waianae
1-171 Pat Sheehan- Punahou
2 Punahale Soriano - Kahuku
3 Kevin Corbett - Campbell
4 Kanoa Matutino - Waianae
5 Panthen Asuncion - Damien
6 Marco Gonzales, PC
1-189 Tyson Tynanes - Campbell
2 Tyler Hayashi - Roosevelt
3 Evan Johnson- Punahou
4 Dustin Ching - Pearl City
5 Dominic Munoz - Leilehua
6 Jarret Nahooikaika - Lahaina
1-215 Kolu Buck - Punahou
2 Marcus Finau - Damien
3 Paihi Pestano - Kamehameha
4 Teanu Rickard - Lahainaluna
5 Lopaka Hera-Bermundo
6 Marcus Desforge - Waianae
1-285 Sani Fuimaono - Punahou
2 Keith Chargualaf - Far
3 Garrett Newton - St. Anthonys
4 Jordan Hao - Kealakehe
5 David Nohara - Kaiser
6 James Pamplin – Maui

Coach Potato
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: 2010 High School Wrestling Mid-season Rankings

Post by Coach Potato »

Isaiah Fonoti is at 145

Uluwatus
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer
MLB: Red Sox
NBA: Pistons
NFL: Ravens

Post by Uluwatus »

I don't agree with having rankings unless all the wrestlers ranked have actually wrestled each other. Otherwise, you are saying that one wrestler is better than the other which is just speculation on your part. And in a sense, that is putting down the other wrestler.

And how can you have Hokoana at 160 when he hasn't even wrestled there yet? Sure, that may be his goal eventually, but that is not true right now. And also, Jordan Ng has been wrestling at 120, so you shouldn't have him at 114 now.

wrestlinghi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by wrestlinghi »

Uluwatus wrote:I don't agree with having rankings unless all the wrestlers ranked have actually wrestled each other. Otherwise, you are saying that one wrestler is better than the other which is just speculation on your part. And in a sense, that is putting down the other wrestler.

And how can you have Hokoana at 160 when he hasn't even wrestled there yet? Sure, that may be his goal eventually, but that is not true right now. And also, Jordan Ng has been wrestling at 120, so you shouldn't have him at 114 now.
Over 90% of the ranked wrestlers have competed in either this years Maui, Officials or Iolani tournaments. In the vast majority of cases wrestlers are ranked higher than opponents they have defeated. Feel free to post exceptions, particularly at Iolani, were due to 2 gyms, 5 mats, and no posted results, I catch markee matches (i.e. Hokoana v Cooper), but miss plenty.

As there are roughly 100 HS wrestlers per weight class in Hawaii, I respect every wrestler and the effort and sacrifice they put into each practice. To be placed in the top six of this group is an honor, not a put down. not everyone can be be number 1. Unlike All- state football teams, the wrestling rankings are largely based in on the mat results, with a touch of judgement applied.

Certain decisions are made to compile rankings, among those used for this ranking include wrestlers are ranked in a weight class they are projected to wrestle in the State tournament. Rankings follow the HHSAA State Tournament Qualification rules, such as one wrestler per team per weight class.

The rankings are intended as a tool to increase the interest and excitement in HS wrestling. The final season rankings are all determined on the Mats at Blaisdell in February.

bungahead
All-conference
All-conference

Post by bungahead »

[quote="wrestlinghi"][quote="Uluwatus"]I don't agree with having rankings unless all the wrestlers ranked have actually wrestled each other. Otherwise, you are saying that one wrestler is better than the other which is just speculation on your part. And in a sense, that is putting down the other wrestler.

And how can you have Hokoana at 160 when he hasn't even wrestled there yet? Sure, that may be his goal eventually, but that is not true right now. And also, Jordan Ng has been wrestling at 120, so you shouldn't have him at 114 now.[/quote]

Over 90% of the ranked wrestlers have competed in either this years Maui, Officials or Iolani tournaments. In the vast majority of cases wrestlers are ranked higher than opponents they have defeated. Feel free to post exceptions, particularly at Iolani, were due to 2 gyms, 5 mats, and no posted results, I catch markee matches (i.e. Hokoana v Cooper), but miss plenty.

As there are roughly 100 HS wrestlers per weight class in Hawaii, I respect every wrestler and the effort and sacrifice they put into each practice. To be placed in the top six of this group is an honor, not a put down. not everyone can be be number 1. Unlike All- state football teams, the wrestling rankings are largely based in on the mat results, with a touch of judgement applied.

Certain decisions are made to compile rankings, among those used for this ranking include wrestlers are ranked in a weight class they are projected to wrestle in the State tournament. Rankings follow the HHSAA State Tournament Qualification rules, such as one wrestler per team per weight class.

The rankings are intended as a tool to increase the interest and excitement in HS wrestling. The final season rankings are all determined on the Mats at Blaisdell in February.[/quote]

. . . . . . . .

InertYelp
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by InertYelp »

My take on the rankings.

108 - Looks pretty good.
114 - Looks pretty good.
120 - Looks pretty good, though I'm pretty sure Buscit will be at 120lbs this season. He was only at 125 for Officials because of decent. I would put him at 2 or 3 at 120.
125 - Minus Logan and the graduating Smolka and this is correct.
130 - Viloria at 130, defeated Kometani at Moanalua tourney this past Saturday. Jon-Ross/Jimmy debate for the second seed will be very interesting since both had Officials and MIT championships against Archangel in very close bouts.
135 - Welcome back Apostodiro, haven't seen you since the 06-07 season. This guy will give Luning and Peralta serious rubs.
140 - Ikea Ikehara anyone? He's gonna be a tough out, the last name should give it away. The Kaimuki kid looks tough though. Howard dropping to 140, he will probably face Mccleary for the state title in the battle for Virginia pride.
145 - Minus Howard, and add Fonoti, then it looks good. Kelii Kwon should be ranked higher, sixth is a joke for a wrestler of his caliber. He did only lose to Howard by three points in the semi-finals of Officials. I think it should be, in my opinion, 1- Akamine, 2- Fonoti, 3- Ball, 4-Kwon, 5- Guillermo, 6- Rivera. Rumors that Kauhola is going here too, but that's debate.
152 - About right minus Fonoti.
160 - Pardini over Carney, no doubt. The quality of wrestlers at 152 last year were stronger then the 160's, they had a bigger crop of talent. Eric Roth, the man that dominated Carney to a pin for 3rd place at OIA's last year, defeating Dinong. Watch out for Roth, he's a sleeper. He had victories last year over guys like Koa Yoshida and Carney, to name a couple. However, my 5th seed in front of Hernandez would be Kalae Carr from Kahuku.
171 - Matutino is graduated. Munoz is at 171, though he lost to Maka Kamaka from Waianae. He could be an OIA sleeper. Good kid, hard worker, and dominated Munoz and wrestled a tight one with Corbett.
189 - Munoz gone from the weight. Finau possibly dropping. Other than that, pretty good.
215 - Finau possbily dropping, as stated before. If not, I have him over Buck anyway. Other than that, pretty good.
285 - The Kam kid looks very good. He should be somewhere in there.
It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it.

Kam Dad
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Kam Dad »

After practice Saturday morning I was able to go down and wacth the OIA west at Aiea.

130- Aiea guy dominated the weight classes making short work of everyone.

160 - This past weekend both Dinong and Roth lost to Cooper didn't see Dinong match but Cooper pinned both of them this past weekend. I was able to catch the Cooper vs. Roth 5-0 first period Cooper pins him in the second.

Kam Dad
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Kam Dad »

So what happens with the rankings when the wrestler dosen't wrestle there at the end of the year? Does it hurt another wrestler that has been wrestling in that weight division when time for seeding in state finals who could of got a better seeding had the other wrestler been ranked in his actual weight class. Do they get the same ranking in another weight by speculation?

Kam Dad
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Kam Dad »

Sorry guys also noticed that Big Bad Beau Yap is missing in there for the rankings of KSK. Beau will make hydration on this week he was trainer for All-american football game but will weigh-in this week.

Chuckiesan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Chuckiesan »

I know the ILH is pretty dominate but I'm intruiged whith Ostovich from MOHS being #1. I know he finished first in the OIA East last year and I think he placed 4th in States. Do you consider him a dark horse at 152 in Feb?

800runner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 800runner »

Ostovich won officials, beating Fonoti and Remillard. I think he also beat Remillard at Iolani Duals. He is definitely not a dark horse.

InertYelp
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by InertYelp »

Kam Dad wrote:After practice Saturday morning I was able to go down and wacth the OIA west at Aiea.

130- Aiea guy dominated the weight classes making short work of everyone.

160 - This past weekend both Dinong and Roth lost to Cooper didn't see Dinong match but Cooper pinned both of them this past weekend. I was able to catch the Cooper vs. Roth 5-0 first period Cooper pins him in the second.
Aiea kid looked sick, I heard he threw up during the match. That's saying something about the level of wrestling this kid is on.

160 - Dinong didn't wrestle Cooper at Aiea. Dinong lost his only match that tournament to Roth and went on to the backside eventually taking third. Roth wrestled Cooper in the finals and was pinned, although he has the potential to do much better. Roth didn't wrestle to his potential in that particular match, which is what wrestling a guy like Cooper can do to you: intimidate you.
It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it.

Kam Dad
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Kam Dad »

Sorry yeah I caught that later Dinong was on Roth's side after reading the brackets again. I agree once your fear someone on the mat you're dome you tend to just wait until he finishes you. Mental part is always yje X factor in wrestling.

Forever2ndPlace
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Forever2ndPlace »

Anyone got results from OIA dual meets yesterday?

WrestlingFan808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by WrestlingFan808 »

Saw Damien's possibly second string 140 do well @ iolani day 2 when Wilson was not wrestling. Damien looks pretty good this season second in maui. Garret from iolani went to 171 at maryknoll and looked as though akamine was not wrestling, possibly avoiding fonoti for now. Damien's 135 Royce mori from kam judo club looked solid. Heard he was only a freshman could possibly be a top placer in states in the coming years