Favorite Hawaii High School Running Back of All-Time

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Favorite Hawaii High School Running Back of All-Time

Post by unpaid »

Bernard Rembert,Radford. Set a then OIA record of 1,458 yards in 1968 for single season rushing total. One mean-spirited Oahu daily flat out said Rembert would never have made 1,000 yards if Radford had been in the ILH. Hmmmmm...I can'T remember the number of times I saw him take a pitch-out from David Kinimaka and take it to the endzone from 40+yards out. A class individual. Let's be serious, in those days Radford and several other OIA schools had enrollments at 3,000-4,000.and the private schools didn't have much more than they have now. I think Rembert would have gotten his 1,000+in the ILH.

Because, Onosai Tanuvasa did it for Farrington in the same time frame when Farrington was in the ILH and they had the enrollment numbers to compete. GO GOVS.

Baba Kruetz,Kalani. just on the name alone,but also saw him play and I think he got around 900-yards one year in the late sixties,again when Kalani was in the ILH.

Since I'm on a history kick, don'T forget James Morgado who was a 1.000+ yard rusher for Radford before Bullet Bernie!

letsgobows
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets

Post by letsgobows »

kapakahi wrote:
95 Boyz wrote:
letsgobows wrote:
wasnt he farrington? i liked him too when i was a kid.
Yes he went to Farrington. Don't know where he got Radford from
FYI....Josh "Zeus" White transferred from Radford after his junior season to Farrington for his senior season....joining Talbert (sp?) Kahakai in Gov backfield.
thanks for the info. yeah i think telbert kahakai was their RB and josh white was the FB. they were the same year as mark atuaia, i believe. but i was really young at that time, so im not sure if im remembering correctly.
college football=drama for men.
GO WARRIORS!

browndog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by browndog »

if george ornellas can be classified as a true RB, i would go with him as my top guy. He was a scoring machine.
Igber, Atuaia and Murrell too.
No forget kealoha pilares, he was phenomenal at damien.

kToWn
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by kToWn »

Mark Atuaia was so dominant when he played for Kahuku despite his great line.

95 Boyz
All-conference
All-conference
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Eagles / Bears

Post by 95 Boyz »

letsgobows wrote:
kapakahi wrote:
95 Boyz wrote: Yes he went to Farrington. Don't know where he got Radford from
FYI....Josh "Zeus" White transferred from Radford after his junior season to Farrington for his senior season....joining Talbert (sp?) Kahakai in Gov backfield.
thanks for the info. yeah i think telbert kahakai was their RB and josh white was the FB. they were the same year as mark atuaia, i believe. but i was really young at that time, so im not sure if im remembering correctly.
Zeus was class of '95 or '96, but Kahakai could have been the better of the two. He was one of those all around athletes (if I remember correctly, he started at Farrington as a freshmen. If not, then I know for sure as a sophomore)
GO BIG RED WARRIORZ!!!
95 Boyz Production
"Don't worry... pee happily"

Are you ready to BLASTOFF

mulesboi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by mulesboi »

I would like to Chris Ma'afala to this list! \:D/

Maui Boy in Alaska
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Bears

Post by Maui Boy in Alaska »

Mark Atuaia would be my favorate RB to come out of Hawaii. However, in my opinion he lost something when he went on his 2 year Mission. When he got back to BYU he was no longer the same great RB that he once was just a ok one. Still he was an important player on that 1996 Cotten Bowl BYU team.

My favorite RB from Maui would be Arron Bascon (I hope I am spelling his name right) He played his Soph and JR years at Maui High in 1991 and 1992 and was the first MIL RB to go over 1,000 yards in a 6 game season and was a 2-time 1st team MIL star and was 1st team all-state in 1992. I believe he played his college ball at Eastern University as a WR.

I should also give Coach Lee so love as I have been told to many times by my dad and uncles that he was also a great RB back in the 1960's and held the MIL single game rushing record for over 25 years before it was broken by 2 of his players in 1993. 1st by a Sr. name Harry (can't remember his last name) and latter by Soph. Robert Kemfort who would go on to play for UH.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Afatia Thompson and Dalton Hilliard, Punahou. Two of the greats of all-time.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!