2009-2010 Wrestling Season Reports

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Chuckiesan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: 2009-2010 Wrestling Season Reports

Post by Chuckiesan »

As for the coverage, it's evident that the Star-Bulletin has really stepped up its prep sports coverage. They might not have the resources of the Advertiser, which is owned by the USA Today people, but an honest comparison between the two isn't much different. Prep sports in Hawaii are going through "hard times" and it's great to see the kids get their due.
Just keep in mind that things like official results are out of a newspaper writer or editor's hands. In a Tournament, there are typically a handful of coaches and high school kids who volunteer to do stats. They do a heck of a job-working the tables all day and typically being rewarded with an occasional plate lunch, spam musubi, or bag of chips. The wrestlers do their match, and an official fills out a little piece of paper, which goes to a statistician to input the result into the computer. Easy, right? BUT, if the scores are close and there might be a slight chance the input is off, the staff has to go through every score sheet and make sure it jibes with the computer. Verifying those results are essential, but often go past a publication deadline.
In addition, the HHSAA, OIA, ILH, and other leagues used to post the results in "real-time." But with athletic programs statewide just struggling to exist, it's understandable that we don't have the results seconds after the match.
Having said that. BRUDDAH, I am looking forward to States!

oh2d
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by oh2d »

On the coverage/statisticians/managers note.... this is quite off topic, but do the other leagues have the same problems with this as the ILH?
A lot of the teams no longer have official statisticians and so the wrestlers frequently work the tables. However, the wrestlers obviously are not always focused solely on the match that they are working and errors happen a bit more than they might otherwise. Plus the teams that don't field enough workers force other teams to pick up their slack. :(
But anyyyyways, back at the peak, some ILH teams had enough managers to run an entire tournament by themselves so everyone had ample break time and matches were run VERY smoothly. Rarely, did papers get lost or timers lose focus or all of the little things that slow things down nowadays. As Chuckiesan pointed out, we DID use to pump results out a lot faster.

anywho.... do the other leagues struggle with this, and if not.... any suggestions on how to recruit statisticians before the next season starts up?
there's a lot of ppl struggling with the Dunning Kruger effect.... -_-

oh2d
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by oh2d »

there's a lot of ppl struggling with the Dunning Kruger effect.... -_-

milk-n'-cookies
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by milk-n'-cookies »

turbo101 wrote:Congratulions to Campbell although they did it in an unpopular fashion. I was at the OIA championships and let me tell you it was intense. I was very dissapointed in the sportsmanship displayed by some wrestlers. It was a disgrace to the wonderful sport of wrestling. I'm an OIA loyalists and OIA grad but, from what I seen at the tournament; I hope the ILH runs all over them at states. All that head jabbing and head slapping is not gonna get you anywhere at states especially against more disciplined wrestlers. I hope the ILH takes it to each and everyone of you cheapshot wrestlers.
May I ask you to specifically point out the OIA wrestlers that you hope get smashed by there ILH counterparts?

bungahead
All-conference
All-conference

Post by bungahead »

milk-n'-cookies wrote:
turbo101 wrote:Congratulions to Campbell although they did it in an unpopular fashion. I was at the OIA championships and let me tell you it was intense. I was very dissapointed in the sportsmanship displayed by some wrestlers. It was a disgrace to the wonderful sport of wrestling. I'm an OIA loyalists and OIA grad but, from what I seen at the tournament; I hope the ILH runs all over them at states. All that head jabbing and head slapping is not gonna get you anywhere at states especially against more disciplined wrestlers. I hope the ILH takes it to each and everyone of you cheapshot wrestlers.
May I ask you to specifically point out the OIA wrestlers that you hope get smashed by there ILH counterparts?
. . . basically any of them thinking about going out for judo. . . .

bloodred
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by bloodred »

oh2d wrote:via matside
http://matsidehawaii.com/2010/02/2010-l ... p-results/ league championships full results
and
http://matsidehawaii.com/2010/02/2010-h ... -brackets/ brackets for states
Good luck to the 53 Schools that have wrestlers going to states, I hope they represent your schools and your communities well. Below is a legend for the schools abbreviation list that is used on the State Tournament Brackets.

1 AIE Aiea
2 BAL Baldwin
3 CAM Campbell
4 CAS Castle
5 DMN Damien
6 FAR Farrington
7 HAN Hana
8 HBA Hawaii Baptist Academy
9 HIL Hilo
10 HNL Hanalani
11 HON Honokaa
12 HPA Hawaii Prep Academy
13 ILO Iolani
14 KAH Kahuku
15 KAS Kaiser
16 KAU Ka'u
17 KEA Kealakehe
18 KEU Keaau
19 KIL Kailua
20 KIM Kaimuki
21 KIN King Kekaulike
22 KLH Kalaheo
23 KLN Kalani
24 KON Konawaena
25 KPO Kapolei
26 KSH Kamehameha Hawaii
27 KSK Kamehameha Kapalama
28 KSM Kamehameha Maui
29 LAH Lahainaluna
30 LAN Lanai
31 LAU Laupahoehoe
32 LEI Lelehua
33 MAR Maryknoll
34 MAU Maui High
35 MCK Mckinley
36 MIL Mililani
37 MOA Moanalua
38 MOL Molokai
39 MPI Mid Pacific Institute
40 PBA Pacific Buddhist Academy
41 PEC Pearl City
42 PRI St Andrew's Priory
43 PUN Punahou
44 RAD Radford
45 ROS Roosevelt
46 SHA Sacred Hearts Academy
47 STF St. Francis
48 STL Saint Louis
49 UHS University
50 WAK Waiakea
51 WAL Waialua
52 WAN Waianae
53 WAP Waipahu

theINSIDER
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by theINSIDER »

I am honestly upset with the poor sportmanship shown at OIA'S especially cooper and perez . they both are returning state champions and had shown poor sportsmanship .

i was watchin the tape of cooper v. corbett and had seen him throw a closed fist punch toward corbett . who had gotten out of the way of it. cooper was penalized but it was very uncalled for and i also had seen him knee corbett in the head when they had gone out of bounds . the knee was on purpose it wasnt an accident , you can tell from the tape .

oh and on another note the butt drag that cooper gave corbett was the deepest butt drag i have ever seen . i would like to know why it wasnt stopped.

i also had seen perez taunt ,during and after the match , hyashi . which was very uncalled for especially the push but from what i understand perez had apoligized to his team and plans to apoligize to hyashi .

and thoughts on those to matches ?
i would like to know other peoples opinions . i will try to get a post of the corbett v. cooper match{video} .

bungahead
All-conference
All-conference

Post by bungahead »

theINSIDER wrote:I am honestly upset with the poor sportmanship shown at OIA'S especially cooper and perez . they both are returning state champions and had shown poor sportsmanship .

i was watchin the tape of cooper v. corbett and had seen him throw a closed fist punch toward corbett . who had gotten out of the way of it. cooper was penalized but it was very uncalled for and i also had seen him knee corbett in the head when they had gone out of bounds . the knee was on purpose it wasnt an accident , you can tell from the tape .

oh and on another note the butt drag that cooper gave corbett was the deepest butt drag i have ever seen . i would like to know why it wasnt stopped.

i also had seen perez taunt ,during and after the match , hyashi . which was very uncalled for especially the push but from what i understand perez had apoligized to his team and plans to apoligize to hyashi .

i would like to know other peoples opinions . i will try to get a post of the corbett v. cooper match{video} .

This is the second post about poor sportsmanship. Insider, would you please post the video you speak of?

InertYelp
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by InertYelp »

theINSIDER wrote:I am honestly upset with the poor sportmanship shown at OIA'S especially cooper and perez . they both are returning state champions and had shown poor sportsmanship .

Thanks for the information.. I was unaware why Cooper was charged that first point. And yes, the butt drag seemed very unnecessary and very deep. However, it is a completely legal move, and in the referee's eyes, he felt that the move hadn't moved into the description of "potentially dangerous". Cooper has gained notoriety for somewhat-unsportsmanlike conduct, including his antics at the Iolani duals.

I am a bit thrown of by the comment made by turbo101:
I would politely disagree with your view on sportsmanship. Yes, a particular Campbell wrestler showed very bad sportmanship. However, the other three boys wrestlers that were in the finals (Corbett, Lankford, Myers), and the others that wrestled for Campbell showed a slew of sportsmanship. Especially someone like a Myers, who's probably one of the nicest and most respectful kids out there. The reason they tend to wrestle a lot rougher than others is because they've been taught a Mainland-altered style of wrestling, which involves a lot more headslaps and aggressive, tough wrestling. We are trained to see it as unsportsmanlike because it doesn't follow the norm of typical Hawaii wrestling. We should be open to all styles and not be so critical because it's a bit too rough on some of the other wrestlers.. wrestling wasn't made to be an easy, lovey-dovey sport.

To tell you the truth, some of the best wrestlers are big time head-jabbers and head-slappers, INCLUDING ILH wrestlers. So if you don't like "cheapshot" wrestlers in the view I assume you take, then that eliminates a lot of wrestlers from contention we initially chose to win.
It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it.

WrestlingFan808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by WrestlingFan808 »

States is on hold for now, if anyone has any updates please post and inform the rest of us.

WrestlingFan808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by WrestlingFan808 »

Update Wrestling on for tomorrow( sunday). 4lb weight allowance. Good luck to all the wrestlers and God bless.

theINSIDER
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by theINSIDER »

bungahead wrote:

This is the second post about poor sportsmanship. Insider, would you please post the video you speak of?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m95Ix8z5scY
2:20 in the video is the punch .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y11Srr6Y ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFYH8WfN ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J94MP9Ap ... re=related

CoachPuka

Congratulations all 2009-2010 wrestlers

Post by CoachPuka »

Once again I'd like to thank all members of the high school wrestling community, from the fans to the coaches and to the custodians and bus drivers who make it possible for our wrestlers to compete day after day. Most importantly I would like to express my gratitude to the the young men and women who sacrifice of themselves and their time to a craft that demands more from them physically and mentally than any other I know. Some wrestlers have spent their entire lives on the mat and some barely a full season, but the lessons learned and the bonds created during that time are the true rewards of the sport that they will carry with them for the rest of their lives.

To the young men and women who competed this past weekend from Kapaa to Pahoa and from private and public schools alike your effort on the mat and willingness to challenge yourselves day after day are overwhelmingly appreciated. You are the ones that make such opportunities possible for us the fans and for those who will follow in your footsteps. Whether you were a state champion or a non starting member of the lowest scoring team in the state please know that you are a part of something much larger and more important in magnitude and scope than just a member of your team. You are a part of a community that loves you and appreciates you no matter your skill level or success on the mat. You are a part of a community who understands your efforts, the after practice sprints, the meals skipped, the ounces of sweat, blood and tears that you have shed over experiencing some of lifes highest highs and lowest lows. I applaud you all on another exciting, explosive and enjoyable year of wrestling. I wish you a producitive, safe and fun off season (two weeks for you freestylers) and look forward to seeing you on the mat next year. Go Hawaii Wrestling.

CoachPuka