Waianae vs Kapolei

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HRC Paul
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Waianae vs Kapolei

Post by HRC Paul »

blueblood's comparison of Keoni Napierala-Rose to Kama Bailey isn't far off the mark. Like Kama, Keoni has amazing shiftiness in the box. They both have that unique sixth sense, knowing that a hit is coming blindside from some direction, and then somehow wriggling their hips just enough (a few inches to a foot) to elude the tackler while maintaining balance and explosion into the second level and beyond. I saw Kama do this many times during his senior year, and Keoni has shown this trait, too, on straight-ahead dive plays.

I've been fortunate enough to see Keoni run for the past two weeks, and the athlete he reminds me of most (besides Bailey) is Jordan Dizon. I won't be surprised if Keoni ends up starring as a OLB in college, though his overall skills on offense are outstanding.

He could also be an intriguing H-back/wing back/slotback type for an offense that puts a versatile, strong (he'll be 225-230 by college) athlete in motion between the edge and the backfield. Too strong a blocker for cornerbacks and too quick in space for most linebackers. If he becomes a very good route runner, he'll outmuscle CBs for the ball.

kalilix7
Play Maker
Play Maker
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Patriots

Post by kalilix7 »

What surprised me about Keoni is how upright he runs, but yet he is still powerful enough to break arm tackles. He also has elusive speed in the open field. I attended the game to watch all the D1 prospects from both sides of the ball, mostly from Kapolei D. I left the game thinking how did this kid go under the radar?
HRC Paul wrote:blueblood's comparison of Keoni Napierala-Rose to Kama Bailey isn't far off the mark. Like Kama, Keoni has amazing shiftiness in the box. They both have that unique sixth sense, knowing that a hit is coming blindside from some direction, and then somehow wriggling their hips just enough (a few inches to a foot) to elude the tackler while maintaining balance and explosion into the second level and beyond. I saw Kama do this many times during his senior year, and Keoni has shown this trait, too, on straight-ahead dive plays.

I've been fortunate enough to see Keoni run for the past two weeks, and the athlete he reminds me of most (besides Bailey) is Jordan Dizon. I won't be surprised if Keoni ends up starring as a OLB in college, though his overall skills on offense are outstanding.

He could also be an intriguing H-back/wing back/slotback type for an offense that puts a versatile, strong (he'll be 225-230 by college) athlete in motion between the edge and the backfield. Too strong a blocker for cornerbacks and too quick in space for most linebackers. If he becomes a very good route runner, he'll outmuscle CBs for the ball.

HRC Paul
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HRC Paul »

He's not the same athlete he was a year ago. Last year, he was listed at about 185 and played QB, didn't scramble a whole lot.

Now he's listed at 215 and truly looks it, has more speed and strength, a lot of aggression with the ball and doesn't fumble. Good hands. He's not a polished RB yet, either. At times against Kapolei, he went wide instead of staying between the tackles, but his speed and will overcame those minor mistakes. By the second half, he was a north-south blast machine. They just wore Kapolei's D-line down.

He could put on another 10 pounds by freshman year of college, and I'll be surprised if a college defensive coordinator doesn't have him at linebacker by then. You can only play one or two RBs at a time; LBs are always in demand since every team needs a truckload of them.

If I were a college coach I'd leave him at RB/SB and see what he can do with another year or two of refining. He could even play FB eventually in a West Coast offense because of the hands and aggression, plus he's got the background of a former QB.

CoachK
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by CoachK »

For everyone information Keoni Napriela-Rose racked up 191 yards on 21 carries against Kapolei. I had the pleasure of watch this beast run north and south in the second half. I myself who loves football also have to give major props to the BIG O-Lineman(ALRIGHT) who made that happened for Keoni. Keoni has the size, weight, vision, off hand, moves and take it to the house speed that will give any defensive coordinator fits. With all of that talent it should also give him a free education and the chance to play in the nexts level. I have a question for anyone who has any information in regards to Keoni College Offers. Waianae always produces athletes like Keoni and like always we hear of them only in High Schools ball. Not in the nexts level, people might say that it is because of their grades. If we as adults guide these kids in the correct path and assists them with there goals. I bet we would have more kids coming out of Waianae with a better future and desire. Waianae in football aspects has the talents and kids to push for the STATE CHAMPS.

letsgobows
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets

Post by letsgobows »

paul or doris,

do you know if UH is interested in keoni? i know hes under the radar right now bc he played QB last year, but i hope the UH coaches start taking a look at him.
college football=drama for men.
GO WARRIORS!

HRC Paul
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HRC Paul »

UH has checked in with the Seariders, but only a few of them are likely qualifiers at this point. The others have work to do on the academic side to qualify. I can't go beyond that, but UH is doing its homework more than ever since Mack took over.