Cross Country 2009

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
todaresq
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Cross Country 2009

Post by todaresq »

Well, the state cross country map is out (www.sportshigh.com). It's definitely at Island School which means there's really no major hill involved. There's a slight incline back up from the coaches parking area to the start area. Outside of that it'll definitely be fast, mostly grass, some pavement around the half mile area and a couple of dips here and there. Good luck to all, stay healthy and race smart.

HI Way
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by HI Way »

According to the famous Roosevelt H.S. measuring wheel, the Waialua course is only 10 meters short.

MilRunFan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by MilRunFan »

Anybody know what happened at the ILH meet at Punahou today?

800runner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 800runner »

I know this isn't much but this is what I know so far. I could be wrong because I missed someone/couldn't completely see the finish line.
Girls- Team Champ Punahou
1. Ellie Brady (by 15-30 seconds)
2/3/4. Kyleigh Mann, Claire Hann, Jenna Wong. I think it is in that order but I just don't remember all that well.
5. Julia Brand

Boys: Team champ Kamehameha, 2nd Iolani, 3rd Punahou
1. Borys Pleskacz
2. Jordan Thibodeau
3. Nikolai Schaerer

Something like that...Kamehameha looked good as an overall team but their front pack was broken up for pretty much the first time in several weeks.

MilRunFan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by MilRunFan »

Thanks 800...

Looks like the 31st may be a yawner in the boys race. Girls: Mililani vs. Punahou is going to be exciting. I got told the other day that Brady isn't even training and she's playing soccer instead. That can't be right.

800runner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 800runner »

I don't believe Duncan Macdonald would let one of his runners play a different sport with 2 weeks until states, especially when this year will be a close one.
Probably just a rumor.

hzy
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by hzy »

Thanks for the results 800runner!

MilRunFan, when is a State Cross Country Championship race ever a yawner!?

train hard win easy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by train hard win easy »

MilRunFan wrote:Thanks 800...Yawner? What are you talking about? Maybe you should spend your weekends watching nascar.

Looks like the 31st may be a yawner in the boys race. Girls: Mililani vs. Punahou is going to be exciting. I got told the other day that Brady isn't even training and she's playing soccer instead. That can't be right.

800runner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 800runner »

To stimulate some discussion:

Are all conference championships next week? Where? How are the courses (especially compared to the Island School course)?
Anyone hold champs this week? Results?
Any conference championship predictions? Individual? Team?

train hard win easy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by train hard win easy »

Kauai had the KIF championship race this last weekend on the Island school course (witch measures about 150 ft. long). Pierce Murphy took 1st place with a time of 16:23, two minutes to the second ahead of 2nd place.

HI Way
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by HI Way »

Based on all of the OIA results so far, I would say that there will be 3 to 4 scoring teams from the OIA qualifying for States in both the Boys and Girls event, depending on whether some JV runners move up.
Leilehua will have a battle on their hands for the OIA boys title, if Pearl City and Mililani move up their JV runners.
The OIA girls title race will be a "yawner" (to quote MlRunFan) most likely going to the veteran Mililani team.
Most of the drama will be for all of the runners on the "bubble" trying to qualify for States by finishing in the top 48 boys and 50 girls.

n0t1but2
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by n0t1but2 »

train hard win easy wrote:Kauai had the KIF championship race this last weekend on the Island school course (witch measures about 150 ft. long). Pierce Murphy took 1st place with a time of 16:23,
....so 150 ft is equal to 50 yds long, which would translate into a 16:13.77 time at the 3 mile mark, or adding roughly 10 seconds to a regular 3 mile time. Not accounting for wind, altitude, turf conditions, barometric pressure, humidity, wind chill factor and fluctuations in the space-time continuoum.
How's my math this time?

800runner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 800runner »

Yes your math is fine, but to be technical, the amount of time it takes to run 50 yds at 16:23 pace is 9.33 seconds, not 10. You never know, 0.67 of a second can be a huge difference. Just kidding about that whole thing.

Anyways, after observing most of the ILH races this year, the boys individual side should be fairly crazy. Jordan Thibodeau was at the top for almost the entire year, only getting beaten twice (both by his teammate Dan Kaneko) until last week, Borys Pleskacz won in a fairly strong manner. Pleskacz and Nikolai Schaerer are two runners who appear to be peaking at the right time. Ryan Hobson was the second ILH runner at CORP, can he do well on his home course? What about a dark horse coming from out of nowhere to win? Not likely but it could happen. It could come down to a very exciting finish on the boys individual side of the ILH this weekend at Mid-Pac.

On the other hand, the girls side, I feel, will be dominated by Ellie Brady. As long as she does not feel the need to gain a huge lead on the competition early on , she can win it fairly easily. If she just sits in the front pack of runners, she can use a strong 3rd mile to secure the championship. However, should she go out too fast, I think it could go to either Kyleigh Mann or Jenna Wong. Both have been really strong lately and are usually fairly good pacers.

Waipi'o Lookout
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Waipi'o Lookout »

800 Runner - Thanks for the update from the ILH. Are there official results of the meet up? Or do you know what the top boys times were?

crosscartography1O1
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by crosscartography1O1 »

The State Information Packet is also available now - http://www.sportshigh.com/files/content ... _10_20.pdf
Boys go first this year, at 9:00am, followed by the Girls Race at 9:45am.

Go Oakland!