*** Official State Championship Game Thread ***

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
njoynlife
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: State Championship Game

Post by njoynlife »

BRADAHMAN wrote:
COACH BEE wrote:
BRADAHMAN wrote:We should not be hearing any of that "the only team that can stop Punahou is Punahou." Farrington showed everyone that Punahou was just a play or two better than the OIA runner up. Punahou should be the favorite, they have more weapons, but Leilehua are the returning Champions. They play solid defense, one that is used to seeing a 4 wide offense (Unlike FHS) and their offense has their own weapons that is capable of scoring in bunches. Should be a great game.
The only team that can stop Punahou is Punahou :wink: ....I'm sorry I had to say it! :D
Okay then, Farrington lost to Farrington this past Friday. Punahou got lucky.
wait. didn't punahou beat farrington (without Roby Toma) in a scrimmage earier in the year at punahou???? do u actually think punahou got lucky this time???

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

BRADAHMAN wrote: The Penalties and 4 turnovers did them in. You take away those last few penalties in the 4th quarter and St. Louis would still have won that game. The defense did well. 4 turnovers and still only gave up only 20 points.
St. Louis had a great defensive game that night, but most of it was early on. I think that Leilehua's offense, even with Manley struggling and the play of the SL, was to good to be bottled up all night. This year, Leilehua may be too good offensively to shut down all game. That's what happened in the Kahuku game. But if we do enough defensively and avoid mistakes offensively, the game should be in our favor. It's worth repeating that unlike Farrington, Punahou can underestimate an element of Leilehua's arsenal. Make their running game beat you and put most of the focus (or the entire focus if you must) on their receivers and Manley.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

BRADAHMAN
Starter
Starter

Post by BRADAHMAN »

njoynlife wrote:[
wait. didn't punahou beat farrington (without Roby Toma) in a scrimmage earier in the year at punahou???? do u actually think punahou got lucky this time???
Actually, I was just joking about that. The better team always wins on that night. I was referencing to the quote about "The only team that can stop Punahou is Punahou." I watched Punahou twice this year, the first game against St. Louis and the Farrington game. Punahou is a very good team, but they are far great...

The OIA starts their practices much later than the ILH, so the preseason is not much of an indicator of who will be better in December. Especially a scrimmage... Farrington, Kahuku, St. Louis and Leilehua are capable of beating them on any given night.

fanoffb
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: *** Official State Championship Game Thread ***

Post by fanoffb »

Anybody know the status of Dumlao for tonight's game?

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Good question about Dumlao. While I think Punahou will win, Dumlao is a high school receiver to be reckoned with. Good hands, fearless, and tough as nails.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

browndog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by browndog »

10,000+ seeing the game tonight.
Anyone got a score update?

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

browndog wrote:10,000+ seeing the game tonight.
According to the Advertiser it's
Punahou 21
Leilehua 7 Halftime

browndog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by browndog »

ulua wrote:
browndog wrote:10,000+ seeing the game tonight.
According to the Advertiser it's
Punahou 21
Leilehua 7 Halftime
Thanks Ulua, nice avatar by the way.

BRADAHMAN
Starter
Starter

Post by BRADAHMAN »

Congrats to Punahou on a memorable season. :)

COACH BEE
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by COACH BEE »

BRADAHMAN wrote:
njoynlife wrote:[
Actually, I was just joking about that. The better team always wins on that night. I was referencing to the quote about "The only team that can stop Punahou is Punahou." I watched Punahou twice this year, the first game against St. Louis and the Farrington game. Punahou is a very good team, but they are far great...
and now?
BRADAHMAN wrote: The OIA starts their practices much later than the ILH, so the preseason is not much of an indicator of who will be better in December. Especially a scrimmage... Farrington, Kahuku, St. Louis and Leilehua are capable of beating them on any given night.
Really? Punahou started in August, when did the OIA start?
KAHUKU RED RAIDERS
2005-06 STATE FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS!!!

PUNAHOU BUFFANBLU
2008 STATE FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS!!!

fanoffb
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by fanoffb »

It was clear last night that the only team that could beat Punahou was Punahou. Other than those personal fouls (were they actual personal fouls?) did the Mules have any success moving the ball? Manley is a very skilled qb but last night he looked overmatched and confused, or at least his offensive coordinator did. Punahou just came out from the opening kick return and physically man-handled and out-finessed the Mules. I was very impressed with how dominant the Buffanblu looked. And what about the hurdle by Dalton (so what if it didn't count, WHOA!) and the dominating run in which 9 Mules tried to tackle Manti. This Punahou team was picked at the beginning, took their shots from St Louis at the beginning of the year, but rebounded and really finished strong. Congrats Punahou on your first title.

kauinoa
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by kauinoa »

fanoffb wrote:It was clear last night that the only team that could beat Punahou was Punahou. Other than those personal fouls (were they actual personal fouls?) did the Mules have any success moving the ball? Manley is a very skilled qb but last night he looked overmatched and confused, or at least his offensive coordinator did. Punahou just came out from the opening kick return and physically man-handled and out-finessed the Mules. I was very impressed with how dominant the Buffanblu looked. And what about the hurdle by Dalton (so what if it didn't count, WHOA!) and the dominating run in which 9 Mules tried to tackle Manti. This Punahou team was picked at the beginning, took their shots from St Louis at the beginning of the year, but rebounded and really finished strong. Congrats Punahou on your first title.
after watching the replay on tv I almost feel asleep after the first minute when punahou absolutely left Leilehua in the dust, must have been a good night for the puns and off night for the mules. But then again I think the standings held true in this game in that the number 1 team in the state was playing an unranked team, it sure looked like it friday night.

someone else mentioned earlier that when kahuku lost to leilehua in the semi's, the state championship was played in the farrington/punahou game. very true.

However, If I were to predict an outcome before the championship game started I would have said 31-28 Punahou. Too bad it was a yawner.

warriorfb
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by warriorfb »

First off, congratulations to the Puns and Mules on great seasons. The Mules played with tremendous heart and courage. They have a knack for making clutch plays as evident by the 4th down td reception with no time on the clock. And #9 Edieson Dumlao is one tough cookie. It was a great team effort for the Puns. Yes, their stars did what they've been doing all season. I was just as impressed with their "unsung" heroes; # 85 Mark Sliverstein, #3 Galen Arakawa, #42 Mina Gould, #7 Sean McFadden, # 12 Jordan Honjiyo, # 21 Brian Suite, to name a few. Puns also dominated the trenches. #99 Sani Fuimaono is a beast. And finally, props to the Puns O-line. After a tough week against Farrington (arguably the toughest OIA team), they really stepped it up for this one. They definitely deserved to be recognized as impact players of the game. As Kanoa described, Shutter had time to "eat a sandwich, grab a glass of water......" all night long. It was refreshing to hear their post game comments, often referencing each other as brothers and family in which all five must play as one.

As for the RUTS posts, I felt that Punahou was running the clock out. Look at their play-calling in the 4th quarter. Many of their pass plays early in the quarter were necessary due to unusually long down and distance situations. Let's also remember that Leilehua has a knack for clutch plays and incredible comebacks. Towards the end of the 4th, they were running the ball mixed in with the occasional pass play to keep the D off-balanced. But it was mostly running plays. Even their last TD with Arakawa seemed more like the coaching staff wanted to give a hardworking lesser known senior a bit of recognition rather than RUTS. And it was a running play. If anything, I felt that the refs had a huge impact on the game. I totally support the referees and thank them for doing what they do. They will always be second guessed as they do not have the same luxury as us guys with TIvo. It just seemed to me that some of the subjective calls (holding, personal fouls, pass interference, a few of the facemasks) happened at crucial times and affected the flow of the game, for both teams. At one point in the third, the mules had more yards in penalties than in total offense. Nevertheless, this game would not be possible without the incredible sacrifices that these men and women in black and white make.

All in all, a great 2008 football season with great sportsmanship by all teams!

fatboi847
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by fatboi847 »

is that right.... i heard a few days ago that punahou is just a FEW plays ahead of the OIA teams... PUNAHOU proved they are the best in the state and deserved to win the state championship... i give props to Leilehua on their great example of sportsmanship and the prayer they shard together after the game. Leilehua just did not adjust to Punahou's offense. Then again i haven't seen any defense that could stop Punahou's offense. Other than Punahou itself of course. Hat's off to the boys from Manoa on a great season. After losing it's first league game to St. Louis, we ALL wrote the off and to see them come back and win is a great story. They are truly the states if not the NATION'S best athletic program. Last week Farrington brought pressure on Shutter by getting through the weak Punahou O-Line, but this week they played like champs. Those five boys diserve everything their getting. In the beginning of the year that was their weakness, but after friday Night's game, they are the best thing coming back for Punahou. Crabb, Romero, Kino, Faatea are going to be BIG for Punahou next year. Although i think STL is the favorite im rooting for the BUFF AND BLUE and great season boys :hello1:

Seniram*
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Seniram* »

fatboi847 wrote:is that right.... i heard a few days ago that punahou is just a FEW plays ahead of the OIA teams... PUNAHOU proved they are the best in the state and deserved to win the state championship... i give props to Leilehua on their great example of sportsmanship and the prayer they shard together after the game. Leilehua just did not adjust to Punahou's offense. Then again i haven't seen any defense that could stop Punahou's offense. Other than Punahou itself of course. Hat's off to the boys from Manoa on a great season. After losing it's first league game to St. Louis, we ALL wrote the off and to see them come back and win is a great story. They are truly the states if not the NATION'S best athletic program. Last week Farrington brought pressure on Shutter by getting through the weak Punahou O-Line, but this week they played like champs. Those five boys diserve everything their getting. In the beginning of the year that was their weakness, but after friday Night's game, they are the best thing coming back for Punahou. Crabb, Romero, Kino, Faatea are going to be BIG for Punahou next year. Although i think STL is the favorite im rooting for the BUFF AND BLUE and great season boys :hello1:
Impact players of the GAME Punahou's O-Line, they deserve all the credit. The D-Line also played extremely well. Great game by both teams. :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: