Who played on the 1990 St. Louis football team that?

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
cp222
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: Who played on the 1990 St. Louis football team that?

Post by cp222 »

If that was the year 1990 when St'Louis beat Farrington, then here is some of the players that played on that team. I got this from the 1990 All State team. Looks like they had some good players, cant believe they lost that bad to the Cal team.
Also Waipahu had the best team in the West that year, losing to Farrington in the 2nd rd in a close wet game.

John Hao Qb
Ed Siaosi DL
Kaipo McGuire WR
Tasi Malepeai OL
Roy Maafala OL
George Tupuola (Noga) LB
Craig Miki DB
Gavin Ozaki OL
Ricky Tong DB
Nohili Naumu WR
Troy Bailey DL
Kone Salavea DL

cr808
High-quality H20 provider

Post by cr808 »

not making any excuses, St, Louis played the last game of a double header on Saturday night and came back on the following Thursday night to play Canyon Country high school and lost 40-0. After that game, St. Louis said they will never play a game so close together again.

SoCal27
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by SoCal27 »

That was no mediocre team. DL Chuck Osborne was a eventual starter for the University of Arizona Desert Swarm defense that included Tedy Bruschi and Rob Waldrop in the early 90s. Inside backer Scott Blade played for SDSU and started on the same team that included Marshall Faulk. He was an all-WAC player. A number of other players on that team played on thru college ball. As for the team itself, they lost 2 games that year which were the 2 finalist for the CIF championship game. Both games were lost by under 7 points or less and should have been won had it not been for some key injuries earlier in the season. They knocked off powerhouse Bishop Amat whom was the favorite to win the CIF section championship whom had beaten the eventual winner Loyola earlier during the regular season. Canyon lost to Loyola 10-3. These are all division I powerhouses. Also note that Canyon beat De La Salle for the California State Championship DivI in 2005. So mediocre.. no.
[-X

Martin
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Martin »

islandstyl wrote:
BigWave96744 wrote:Could St. Louis' Best team be the 1994 team...
I think at one point they were ranked #4 in the Nation.
Studs included: Darnel Arceneax & Jason Gesser (QB), Chris Fuamatu-Maafala (RB), George Ornellas (SB), Olin Kruetz & Dominic Raiola (OLine) and that's just on the offense
BigWave, in my opinion, that was THE best St.Louis team. Ever.
Beat Kahuku 26-20 in the prep bowl. DPOY Kautai Olevao Kahuku...OPOY George Ornellas, St.Louis via Kahuku. Also big names Vai Notoa, scorched STL for 211 yards in the Prep Bowl. Stevie Laulu, scorched StL for a 90 yds kick off. Olevao knocks out Fuamata on a tackle. In those days helmet jobs was legal,lol.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Martin wrote:
islandstyl wrote:
Studs included: Darnel Arceneax & Jason Gesser (QB), Chris Fuamatu-Maafala (RB), George Ornellas (SB), Olin Kruetz & Dominic Raiola (OLine) and that's just on the offense
Beat Kahuku 26-20 in the prep bowl. DPOY Kautai Olevao Kahuku...OPOY George Ornellas, St.Louis via Kahuku. Also big names Vai Notoa, scorched STL for 211 yards in the Prep Bowl. Stevie Laulu, scorched StL for a 90 yds kick off. Olevao knocks out Fuamata on a tackle. In those days helmet jobs was legal,lol.
Too bad Ornellas didn't stay home and play for Big Red. If I remember correctly, Ornellas bounced off a big hit from Laulu and took it to the house.

CityWithNoPity!!!
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by CityWithNoPity!!! »

Martin wrote:
islandstyl wrote:
That Kahuku D was Solid!!! D Line had Mike Nuga, Maui K, Brach Nautu, Sione Fuluvaka. Linebackers: Kautai Olevao, Shane D, Paulo K. DBs had all around player Steve L. They was some monsters compare to St Louis. I really thought Kahuku was goin to win but the #2 for the crusaders came to play against his fellow town. Martin and i dont remember kautai knocking out chris....but kautai was a beast!!!!!

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

SM96753 wrote:Does anyone know who the prominent players were on the 1990 St. Louis football team that was demolished by Canyon Country high school (CA) by a score of 40-0 snapping the Crusader's 55 game win streak?

I believe that Crusader team would later go on to defeat Farrington by a score of 38-3 in the Prep Bowl. I'd like to know how our "mythical state champs" led by Cal Lee were shut out and destroyed by a middle tier California team. It's a lucky thing Concord De LaSalle was "ducking" our top Hawaii team at the time or it may have been worse. Anyone recall?
Funny story about that game...2 of my cousins went to that game and sat on St Louis' side line. Being true Red Raiders(meaning anti-Crusaders), they cheered on Canyon and were told by St Louis fans to go sit on the other side..lol.

Leftfieldcoachlikeu

Post by Leftfieldcoachlikeu »

cr808 wrote:not making any excuses, St, Louis played the last game of a double header on Saturday night and came back on the following Thursday night to play Canyon Country high school and lost 40-0. After that game, St. Louis said they will never play a game so close together again.
I saw those 2 games. It was brutal

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

cr808 wrote:not making any excuses, St, Louis played the last game of a double header on Saturday night and came back on the following Thursday night to play Canyon Country high school and lost 40-0. After that game, St. Louis said they will never play a game so close together again.
what do u mean "so close together"? isnt that how a double header works, one game after the other?
every year we have multiple double headers at the aloha stadium especially in the playoffs.
-------------------

agent g
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by agent g »

IMHO the 1994 and 1999 STL team were the best in that era. D1 prospects all over the field.

kulolo
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by kulolo »

1988 St.Louis is the best team Cal Lee had because they had only star player returning which was Micah Matsuzaki. Defensively the starters played 2 1/2 quarters because no team was close to giving them any competition. This team went out and destroyed everybody including Kahuku in the preseason!! This year was the no name defense that shut down offenses in the state. Well if I'm not mistaken, Damien probably played St.Louis the best. Damien had lots of hammer players on the team that year.
Back in those years, St.Louis was the Best!! ST. LOUIS is TITLE TOWN and CHAMPIONS OF ALL CHAMPIONS!! No Hawaii high school will come close to what they did!!

harus0ra
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by harus0ra »

kulolo wrote:1988 St.Louis is the best team Cal Lee had because they had only star player returning which was Micah Matsuzaki. Defensively the starters played 2 1/2 quarters because no team was close to giving them any competition. This team went out and destroyed everybody including Kahuku in the preseason!! This year was the no name defense that shut down offenses in the state. Well if I'm not mistaken, Damien probably played St.Louis the best. Damien had lots of hammer players on the team that year.
Back in those years, St.Louis was the Best!! ST. LOUIS is TITLE TOWN and CHAMPIONS OF ALL CHAMPIONS!! No Hawaii high school will come close to what they did!!
Sure buddy