Who played on the 1990 St. Louis football team that?

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
SM96753
All-conference
All-conference

Who played on the 1990 St. Louis football team that?

Post by SM96753 »

Does anyone know who the prominent players were on the 1990 St. Louis football team that was demolished by Canyon Country high school (CA) by a score of 40-0 snapping the Crusader's 55 game win streak?

I believe that Crusader team would later go on to defeat Farrington by a score of 38-3 in the Prep Bowl. I'd like to know how our "mythical state champs" led by Cal Lee were shut out and destroyed by a middle tier California team. It's a lucky thing Concord De LaSalle was "ducking" our top Hawaii team at the time or it may have been worse. Anyone recall?

DonkeyPunch22
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Who played on the 1990 St. Louis football team that?

Post by DonkeyPunch22 »

First of all, Canyon is nor was at the time a "middle tier California team". They compete against the likes of Notre Dame California, St Bonaventure, Crespie, Servite, and on. If you have all the Fox sports channels, spend some time watching them and you may catch some of their past games in the california state tournament. Then you will see for yourself they are well coached, tough, and talented. Heck, they have their own multi million dollar stadium. So be careful how you throw that term "middle tier" around.

Second, the 1990 St Louis team was good. In fact, that year, they were best in the state of Hawaii, and way better than any team from Maui, that's for sure. Nah, just kidding 96753... but it is true. I mean, don't tell me Baldwin could have beat them that year if only they had been in the Prep bowl instead of Farrington.

That being said, Tasi Malapiai was on the line and Tupu Alualu was running the ball. Ricky Tong was in the defesive back field, and the middle line backer was Kale Kaanoe - one hard pipe hitting mofo.

PS- I didn't even go to St Louis, but I did see the game in question.

HRC Paul
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HRC Paul »

SM96753 wrote:It's a lucky thing Concord De LaSalle was "ducking" our top Hawaii team at the time or it may have been worse. Anyone recall?
1. As of 1990, Saint Louis' best teams were yet to come. Same with De La Salle.

2. Ask Cal Lee or anyone inside the Crusaders program during that ensuing era if you need verification, which apparently, is the case. Or shall I go and do the asking for you? Only if you insist, SM.

Only if you insist.

sl1322
All-conference
All-conference

Post by sl1322 »

DonkeyPunch22 wrote:First of all, Canyon is nor was at the time a "middle tier California team". They compete against the likes of Notre Dame California, St Bonaventure, Crespie, Servite, and on. If you have all the Fox sports channels, spend some time watching them and you may catch some of their past games in the california state tournament. Then you will see for yourself they are well coached, tough, and talented. Heck, they have their own multi million dollar stadium. So be careful how you throw that term "middle tier" around.

Second, the 1990 St Louis team was good. In fact, that year, they were best in the state of Hawaii, and way better than any team from Maui, that's for sure. Nah, just kidding 96753... but it is true. I mean, don't tell me Baldwin could have beat them that year if only they had been in the Prep bowl instead of Farrington.

That being said, Tasi Malapiai was on the line and Tupu Alualu was running the ball. Ricky Tong was in the defesive back field, and the middle line backer was Kale Kaanoe - one hard pipe hitting mofo.

If I remember correctly, Tupu Alualu and Kalei Kaanoi were 1990 grads, so they weren't on the 1990 team. You're right though, Kalei Kaanoi was a baller.

The team that lost to Canyon had John Hao and Kaipo McGuire, to name a few.

islandstyl
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by islandstyl »

SM96753 wrote:Does anyone know who the prominent players were on the 1990 St. Louis football team that was demolished by Canyon Country high school (CA) by a score of 40-0 snapping the Crusader's 55 game win streak?

I believe that Crusader team would later go on to defeat Farrington by a score of 38-3 in the Prep Bowl. I'd like to know how our "mythical state champs" led by Cal Lee were shut out and destroyed by a middle tier California team. It's a lucky thing Concord De LaSalle was "ducking" our top Hawaii team at the time or it may have been worse. Anyone recall?
Geez, SM...according to your quote above, I would say you are a bit perturbed and disturbed about me asking the question in another thread, "why do these top-tier California teams coming down here to play Hawaii's second-tier teams?".
Go on...tell me how much you love me...I can take it!

islandstyl
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by islandstyl »

...I am not a St.Louis alum.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Could St. Louis' Best team be the 1994 team...
I think at one point they were ranked #4 in the Nation.
Studs included: Darnel Arceneax & Jason Gesser (QB), Chris Fuamatu-Maafala (RB), George Ornellas (SB), Olin Kruetz & Dominic Raiola (OLine) and that's just on the offense

HRC Paul
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HRC Paul »

I, also, am not a Saint Louis alum.

islandstyl
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by islandstyl »

BigWave96744 wrote:Could St. Louis' Best team be the 1994 team...
I think at one point they were ranked #4 in the Nation.
Studs included: Darnel Arceneax & Jason Gesser (QB), Chris Fuamatu-Maafala (RB), George Ornellas (SB), Olin Kruetz & Dominic Raiola (OLine) and that's just on the offense
BigWave, in my opinion, that was THE best St.Louis team. Ever.

SM96753
All-conference
All-conference

Post by SM96753 »

DonkeyPunch22 wrote:First of all, Canyon is nor was at the time a "middle tier California team". They compete against the likes of Notre Dame California, St Bonaventure, Crespie, Servite, and on. If you have all the Fox sports channels, spend some time watching them and you may catch some of their past games in the california state tournament. Then you will see for yourself they are well coached, tough, and talented. Heck, they have their own multi million dollar stadium. So be careful how you throw that term "middle tier" around.

Sorry DonkeyPunch22, Fox Sports wasn't around to televise Canyon Country's game back in 1990. Also, I don't believe any of the prep teams in the entire state of Hawaii could have defeated those St. Louis Crusader squads in the 90's. Definitley not in a state championship game anyway. St. Louis was on a different level.

SM96753
All-conference
All-conference

Post by SM96753 »

islandstyl wrote:
SM96753 wrote:Does anyone know who the prominent players were on the 1990 St. Louis football team that was demolished by Canyon Country high school (CA) by a score of 40-0 snapping the Crusader's 55 game win streak?

Geez, SM...according to your quote above, I would say you are a bit perturbed and disturbed about me asking the question in another thread, "why do these top-tier California teams coming down here to play Hawaii's second-tier teams?".
Not really, I was not at that game so I'm am very, very curious to know how the Crusader run n shoot offense was shut down. They were on a 55 game win streak and later killed what I assume to be a very good Farrington team in the prep bowl so the program was firing on all cylinders. Were they just outplayed? Did they sit players due to academics? Any injuries? What the heck happened?

Cal Lee Crusader teams don't just get blown out in fact if I recall, this is probably the only lopsided loss in the programs past 20 years. During those times, a Crusader loss was extremely rare let alone a blow out. Wouldn't you agree?

islandstyl
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by islandstyl »

Agreed. Good point!

letsgobows
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets

Post by letsgobows »

haha my parents are proud GOV alumn, im pretty sure they took me to that prep bowl. i was only around 7 or 8 at that time, and all i remember was randall okimoto getting SHUT D!
college football=drama for men.
GO WARRIORS!

95 Boyz
All-conference
All-conference
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Eagles / Bears

Post by 95 Boyz »

That '90 season Kahuku got robbed :bootyshake: LOL
GO BIG RED WARRIORZ!!!
95 Boyz Production
"Don't worry... pee happily"

Are you ready to BLASTOFF

letsgobows
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets

Post by letsgobows »

was that mark atuaia's year? sorry im a youngn.
college football=drama for men.
GO WARRIORS!