All Time Hawaii High School Baseball Team

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Sickbastard
Pine rider
Pine rider

All Time Hawaii High School Baseball Team

Post by Sickbastard »

Alright guys, list your choices in this thread. Bust out all the names throughout the past century.
"Stop overpopulation... Shoot a stupid person today!"

Gatorade
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by Gatorade »

Back in the day, Mike Lum Roosevelt High School--Atlanta Braves.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Gatorade wrote:Back in the day, Mike Lum Roosevelt High School--Atlanta Braves.
He also played for the Cinncinati Reds during the "Big Red Machine" glory years with Bench, Morgan, Rose, Foster, Perez, Concepcion and Griffey Sr.

Here's a couple more:

John Mathias (4 HRs in one game in the Honolulu Stadium)
Glen Goya (perfect game in State finals)
Joey Meyer
Derek Tatsuno
Gerald Ako

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

A number of excellent nominees were listed in the other post. I still list Greg Oniate and Les Kakazu from Waipahu. My recollection is that Kakazu's batting average (not slugging percentage) at the end of the season was over .500 and Oni was just under .500 (which is extra fantastic for a power hitter).

Sid Fernandez of Kaiser was listed in the other thread. He was a dominant pitcher. Mike Fetters of Iolani, too.

When growing up in Kaneohe, my heroes were Castle guys - Terrance Tajima (SS), Sam Kakazu (SS), Jeff Akamine (OF), Glenn Silva (P) and Carlos Diaz (P). My classmate Wayne Takamori (P) was outstanding, too.

Richard Olsen (P) from Kailua (the current Rainbow's dad) was a thorn in the side of Castle.

Gene Smith (P) and David Smith (P) from Kalani, I believe. Also Len Sakata and Ryan Kurosaki.

I think Terry Derby of PC stole a lot of bases and was the State 100 yard champ his senior year.

Wally Yonamine should be mentioned as well, but I wasn't even born when he played.

Hard to compare guys from different eras, though.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Duster: Do you remember a player named Carl Fratticelli (not sure about the spelling). I think he played for Kailua High in the 80s, and then college ball somewhere (perhaps Loyola).

Anyways, I played against him in a Little League All-Star game in Hilo, and he was they dominant pitcher of the tournament.

bulla
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bulla »

Grinch wrote:Duster: Do you remember a player named Carl Fratticelli (not sure about the spelling). I think he played for Kailua High in the 80s, and then college ball somewhere (perhaps Loyola).

Anyways, I played against him in a Little League All-Star game in Hilo, and he was they dominant pitcher of the tournament.
he's coaching at St Louis i believe.....

Gobows66
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

ch

Post by Gobows66 »

My buddy who coaches at kaiser said that Colby Ho, Peter Ho's son had only 3 strikouts...alll year!!! That's got to be some record.

sl1322
All-conference
All-conference

Post by sl1322 »

bulla wrote:
Grinch wrote:Duster: Do you remember a player named Carl Fratticelli (not sure about the spelling). I think he played for Kailua High in the 80s, and then college ball somewhere (perhaps Loyola).

i think he went to kalaheo. anyway, he did play for LMU and they would one day meet UH in a regional (can't remember the site). LMU had a good team with fraticelli, chris donnels (future MLB), tim layana (future MLB) and billy bean (future MLB as well, but more famous recently for coming out regarding his sexuality).

Gatorade
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by Gatorade »

He also played for the Cinncinati Reds during the "Big Red Machine" glory years with Bench, Morgan, Rose, Foster, Perez, Concepcion and Griffey Sr.
That’s good recall, Lum was sort of like a hero for all us PAL kids, local boy in the Pros. They didn’t have many back then but local baseball was big.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

sl1322 wrote:
bulla wrote:

i think he went to kalaheo. anyway, he did play for LMU and they would one day meet UH in a regional (can't remember the site). LMU had a good team with fraticelli, chris donnels (future MLB), tim layana (future MLB) and billy bean (future MLB as well, but more famous recently for coming out regarding his sexuality).
Yep. He was a Kalaheo guy. Aside from the great talent, the thing that I seem to remember about that LMU team was their "skill" at getting on base via HBP.

letsgobows
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets

Post by letsgobows »

brandon toro and jason doi. kamehameha c/o 92's finest.

Gobows66
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

kam

Post by Gobows66 »

From that 92 class, what about Kalalea M? I remember he could pound that ball. Paul Ah Yat (Iolani '91) wasn't too bad of a pitcher who went to Cal then transfered to Hawaii.

alohaspirit
High-quality H20 provider

Post by alohaspirit »

Duster wrote:A number of excellent nominees were listed in the other post. I still list Greg Oniate and Les Kakazu from Waipahu. My recollection is that Kakazu's batting average (not slugging percentage) at the end of the season was over .500 and Oni was just under .500 (which is extra fantastic for a power hitter).

Sid Fernandez of Kaiser was listed in the other thread. He was a dominant pitcher. Mike Fetters of Iolani, too.

When growing up in Kaneohe, my heroes were Castle guys - Terrance Tajima (SS), Sam Kakazu (SS), Jeff Akamine (OF), Glenn Silva (P) and Carlos Diaz (P). My classmate Wayne Takamori (P) was outstanding, too.

Richard Olsen (P) from Kailua (the current Rainbow's dad) was a thorn in the side of Castle.

Gene Smith (P) and David Smith (P) from Kalani, I believe. Also Len Sakata and Ryan Kurosaki.

I think Terry Derby of PC stole a lot of bases and was the State 100 yard champ his senior year.

Wally Yonamine should be mentioned as well, but I wasn't even born when he played.

Hard to compare guys from different eras, though.

"Gene Smith (P) and David Smith (P) from Kalani" - played for Kaimuki.

Glenn Goya - I believe he went to Colorado and was the NCAA batting champ one year.

All those Kaiser teams of the late 70's and early 80's ... Belen, Kapuniai, Ho, Komeji, Sid ...

Radford's middle infielders of the early 80's ... Jon Diaz, Jeff Obrero and pitcher Peter Kendrick

Aiea pitching staff of the mid 70's ... Ako, Heard, Tatsuno

what about Mitchell Moran (I think that was his name) played for Waipahu and the Dodger system ...

what ever happened to Brant McCreadie of Kaiser ... wasn't he supposed to be a stud???? did he get injured after high school???

alohaspirit

Post by alohaspirit »

slightly off topic ... what about high school coaches?

I think there is one common thread of many of the local players that made the majors in the 70's ... John Nakamura I think was the head coach or at least pitching coach for various OIA baseball teams... last I heard was an assistant coach for Bob Coolen's UH Wahine softball teams.

I believe Nakamura was the coach at:

Kalani when Lenn Sakata (Orioles, Yanks, Brewers?) and Ryan Kurasak (Cards)i played there.

Kailua when Doug Capilla (Reds)

Castle's pitching coach to - Carlos "Bimbo" Diaz (Dodgers, Mets, Braves),as well as Glenn Silva, Wayne Takamori, Guy Ogawa, Ross Sakamoto, Mark Kawakami ...

Gobows66
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

bm

Post by Gobows66 »

I think Brant McCreadie went into boxing. He was nuttie and had about 49 cards in his deck!!!!!