Wrestling 2016 *wrestling and speculation - (no more bitching & moaning)

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
wrestling808
High-quality H20 provider

Re: Wrestling 2016 *wrestling and speculation - (no more bitching & moaning)

Post by wrestling808 »

twnoexcuses wrote:
Kama wrote:The HPW forums are a buzz with Alo staying at 145 to wrestle with Peralta at states. I would have figured Alo would have dropped back to 127 and have an easy time at at another title. But I've gotta give Alo credit going after the toughest opponent she could find in Peralta. It will be the most epic girls final in Hawaii history.
I don't think Alo can beat Peralta twice more. I don't think she'll try.

It's pathetic how HPW writes about Alo's chicken crap victory. The "P4P champion" needed the ref to seal the deal. "twnoexcuses" is dead on that Alo is gonna get outta dodge and find easy fish to fry.

FoxMulder
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by FoxMulder »

wrestling808 wrote:
twnoexcuses wrote:
Kama wrote:The HPW forums are a buzz with Alo staying at 145 to wrestle with Peralta at states. I would have figured Alo would have dropped back to 127 and have an easy time at at another title. But I've gotta give Alo credit going after the toughest opponent she could find in Peralta. It will be the most epic girls final in Hawaii history.

It's pathetic how HPW writes about Alo's chicken crap victory. The "P4P champion" needed the ref to seal the deal. "twnoexcuses" is dead on that Alo is gonna get outta dodge and find easy fish to fry.
Honestly it's pathetic that you are talking about the ref throwing the match. Bad call or not give Alo the credit where it's due she bumped up in weight to wrestle Peralta, if Peralta really was the true p4p it really shouldn't come down to a bad stalling call when wrestling someone who's bumped up to wrestle her.

Hawaiianeye
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hawaiianeye »

Attended the ILH Open at Punahou, nothing exciting. As a matter of fact it was lack luster. The ILH has to do round robins every week and not duals. Not enough matches for each weight class.

wrestling808

Post by wrestling808 »

FoxMulder wrote:
wrestling808 wrote:
twnoexcuses wrote:

Honestly it's pathetic that you are talking about the ref throwing the match. Bad call or not give Alo the credit where it's due she bumped up in weight to wrestle Peralta, if Peralta really was the true p4p it really shouldn't come down to a bad stalling call when wrestling someone who's bumped up to wrestle her.
Hey Fox, you're right it shouldn't matter. But it did matter. You had to have been there to appreciate the BS.

Anyways, so what, the x-files coming back?

_sportcourt
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by _sportcourt »

twnoexcuses wrote:
She does not have to, she took out Peralta the 145lb "beast" that everyone was afraid of...she went in on her own terms bumped three weight classes up and knocked off Peralta. Its not like Peralta was blowing her out of the water.

Alo did Great but its not like Peralta was an unbeaten for years, she always seems to lose against tough competition. I've always wondered why she would not go chase Corbett and take out a champ, there is no way she would go cut weight and chase Alo....or would she?

Peralta is a decent wrestler but she is not in the same realm of "Alo" that has been proven

Kama
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Kama »

_sportcourt wrote:
twnoexcuses wrote:
She does not have to, she took out Peralta the 145lb "beast" that everyone was afraid of...she went in on her own terms bumped three weight classes up and knocked off Peralta. Its not like Peralta was blowing her out of the water.

Alo did Great but its not like Peralta was an unbeaten for years, she always seems to lose against tough competition. I've always wondered why she would not go chase Corbett and take out a champ, there is no way she would go cut weight and chase Alo....or would she?

Peralta is a decent wrestler but she is not in the same realm of "Alo" that has been proven

In this day and age the rematch is what settles disputes. Nuff Said.

FlyingSquirrel808

Post by FlyingSquirrel808 »

Since we are discussing girls wrestling, anybody know what weight Futa from Kamehameha is going this year?

stonecoldstunner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by stonecoldstunner »

I don't know if she's even wrestled this year. But I'm pretty sure I read in an article on HPW or ScoringLive that she was going to be wrestling at 132. We shall see. I suspect Kamehameha may still be trying to slot their wrestlers into their ideal weight classes.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

Kama wrote:
_sportcourt wrote:
twnoexcuses wrote:

So, is there going to be a rematch or not? Peralta cuts down? Alo goes up? They both move weights to meet somewhere in the middle?

The reports on the match make it sound like it wasn't both wrestlers displaying their technique and training to their fullest. Early stalling calls always sully the wrestling. Frankly, consieering the skill levels and tenaciousness, cannot see either one of them "stalling" in a way they should get called. Every one of those calls I've seen in elite matches have been made inconsistently with the way a given ref has refereed other matches, and with what looks like an attempt by a referee to inject themselves personally into outcome. It's pretty clear, for instance, that the monopoly man cherishes the spotlight during stalling calls, his ability to reserve the award of a point at the end of a match to himself, and will even call a match throughout to make it close at the end.

Element of "surprise" also seems to have been at play. Did Peralta know she'd be facing off against Alo that day? Would figure her preparation would have been Alo specific, or perhaps more intense in general, had she known she would face off against Alo.

Yeah, tactical movement up and down, and in and out, of weight brackets is a fact of life in pre and regular season wrestling. But, that doesn't seem to be a game that can or should be played in championship wrestling. To me, a real indicator match is one where the opponents are known (by BOTH SIDES), and the battle is fully prepped.

Who is better? Alo or Peralta? Head to head? I agree with Kama. Rematch and only rematch will settle the dispute.

FlyingSquirrel808

Post by FlyingSquirrel808 »

twnoexcuses wrote:
Kama wrote:
_sportcourt wrote:

So, is there going to be a rematch or not? Peralta cuts down? Alo goes up? They both move weights to meet somewhere in the middle?

The reports on the match make it sound like it wasn't both wrestlers displaying their technique and training to their fullest. Early stalling calls always sully the wrestling. Frankly, consieering the skill levels and tenaciousness, cannot see either one of them "stalling" in a way they should get called. Every one of those calls I've seen in elite matches have been made inconsistently with the way a given ref has refereed other matches, and with what looks like an attempt by a referee to inject themselves personally into outcome. It's pretty clear, for instance, that the monopoly man cherishes the spotlight during stalling calls, his ability to reserve the award of a point at the end of a match to himself, and will even call a match throughout to make it close at the end.

Element of "surprise" also seems to have been at play. Did Peralta know she'd be facing off against Alo that day? Would figure her preparation would have been Alo specific, or perhaps more intense in general, had she known she would face off against Alo.

Yeah, tactical movement up and down, and in and out, of weight brackets is a fact of life in pre and regular season wrestling. But, that doesn't seem to be a game that can or should be played in championship wrestling. To me, a real indicator match is one where the opponents are known (by BOTH SIDES), and the battle is fully prepped.

Who is better? Alo or Peralta? Head to head? I agree with Kama. Rematch and only rematch will settle the dispute.
From what I've heard, Alo has trouble making 127, so she naturally moved up to 132. I heard she weighed in at 132.1 that day so she was technically a 138 pounder which allowed her to bump up one weight class and wrestle Peralta at 145. I don't know if that was on purpose that she missed 132, or if she just decided that because she missed she would try and wrestle Peralta. I don't know either girl personally, but i would highly doubt that a rematch is coming. My guess is that Alo stays at 132 and Peralta at 145 for the rest of the season.

Ramashack

Post by Ramashack »

FlyingSquirrel808 wrote:Since we are discussing girls wrestling, anybody know what weight Futa from Kamehameha is going this year?
Futa did compete in an ILH Dual against PUN at STL on 12/09.
May have been in the 132 wt class back then but will be much lower soon.....01/28 is low-weight day.
Pretty sure she hasn't competed since.

wrestling808

Post by wrestling808 »

Ramashack wrote:
FlyingSquirrel808 wrote:Since we are discussing girls wrestling, anybody know what weight Futa from Kamehameha is going this year?
May have been in the 132 wt class back then but will be much lower soon.....01/28 is low-weight day.

Does anyone know why Futa had such a long layoff?

It's unfortunate that a senior has had such a short final wrestling season.

Ramashack

Post by Ramashack »

wrestling808 wrote:
Ramashack wrote:

Does anyone know why Futa had such a long layoff?

It's unfortunate that a senior has had such a short final wrestling season.
Nothing different than her Junior year and remember that she didn't even play at all her Sophomore year.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

twnoexcuses wrote:
Being Real wrote:This year the tournament was small. How many teams dropped out? where was Mililani, Pearl City, Leileihua, Pac-5, Farrington?
Where were the mainland teams like Liberty and Christian Brothers High School?
We all see and feel it.

Wrestling is a dying sport.

The schools are going out of their way to diminish the activity (look at the way wrestling competitions are scheduled, and resources allocated to practicing and playing the sport).

Kids just aren't being built to work as hard as a wrestler must.

Notwithstanding the gallant and commendable efforts of Jerry Campany, the media is both as blinded by, and the creator of, the misguided, narrow artificial lighting being shined on football.

I echo the post above. Much respect to all the kids who wrestled this pre-season and their coaches. You all have my presumptive admiration and appreciation for your hard work, commitment and sacrifice.
@twnoexcuses: Well, football season is long over (on the high-school level). I would agree with you that wrestling simply isn't that big in Hawaii compared to football, but no sport is as big as football. I mean, football is the 600-lb gorilla, so to speak, but that's probably true in every state, not just Hawaii. But, this thread shows that there truly is a hard-core set of wrestling fans on this site.

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

Well, the last regular season OIA tournaments have completed. Any thoughts leading up to OIA Dual Champs and does ILH have a similar tournament(or is it just a season champ)?
Contenders(in no particular order):
Girls - Roosevelt, Waianae, Moanalua, Kapolei, Pearl CIty, Leilehua?
Boys - Campbell, Moanalua, Leilehua, Kapolei, Pearl CIty, Waianae?

Boys - Campbell earned 2nd at the Moanalua Dual tournament and was highest finisher at Official's(beat Kapolei at the dual tournament). Moanalua was highest finisher at Maui.
Girls - Moanalua highest finisher at Moanalua Dual tournament and Maui(beat Lahainaluna and Kapolei at the dual tournament). Roosevelt Didn't go to either but outscored them by 50 at Official's. Moanalua, Pearl City, Waianae, and Kapolei were all separated by 7 pts at Official's.

Any thoughts? Thoughts on the ILH side as well?