Unpaid D-I Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Unpaid D-I Football

Post by gopunahou »

Very frustrating loss. While our season won't end like it would've in years past, we've gotta make adjustments, obviously. We couldn't respond to the defensive adjustments St. Louis made and lost another key game with turnovers on our part. That's what cost us the regular season title last year and the early game against them this year.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

St.Louis made use of the best option available to them. Nearly continuous blitzing and QB pressures did the trick for the Crusaders on defense.28 points was enough to win the game.Punahou could not seem to get in a rhythm on offense ,and of course,there were all those interceptions.

My guess for Open Division right now is that Kahuku and St.Louis get the top two seeds and the bye week. Punahou will get put in Kahuku's side of the draw and will have to play the sixth seed which I believe will be Farrington should they lose to Kapolei. If Farringon wins tonight,then Kapolei might get the 6 spot and have to go through Punahou and Kahuku. This would leave Waianae in the St.Louis draw having to get through either Kapolei or Farrington to face the Crusaders for a spot in the championship game.

I would not want to be on the seeding committee.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

unpaid wrote:St.Louis made use of the best option available to them. Nearly continuous blitzing and QB pressures did the trick for the Crusaders on defense.28 points was enough to win the game.Punahou could not seem to get in a rhythm on offense ,and of course,there were all those interceptions.

My guess for Open Division right now is that Kahuku and St.Louis get the top two seeds and the bye week. Punahou will get put in Kahuku's side of the draw and will have to play the sixth seed which I believe will be Farrington should they lose to Kapolei. If Farringon wins tonight,then Kapolei might get the 6 spot and have to go through Punahou and Kahuku. This would leave Waianae in the St.Louis draw having to get through either Kapolei or Farrington to face the Crusaders for a spot in the championship game.

I would not want to be on the seeding committee.
@unpaid: Well, guys with agendas might want to be on the committee. As long as teams are very close in terms of strength, then--if you're on the committee--you can seed them in such a way that you might get the outcomes you want. Assuming that the teams are close in terms of strength, no one can call you on it.

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

Seeding should be pretty straightforward...OIA Champ plays winner of ILH #2 vs OIA #3 and ILH Champ plays winner of OIA #2 vs OIA #4.

So based on last nights results my prediction is:
Kahuku over Farrington in OIA Championship
Kapolei over Waianae for 3rd place

Open Division Tournament
Punahou vs Kapolei - winner vs Kahuku
Farrington vs Waianae - winner vs Saint Louis

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Twelve,

1.Kahuku 9-1 No.4 Farrington next for the OIA title.
2.St. Louis 8-1 defeat Punahou for the ILH title.
3.Punahou 7-2
4.Farrington 7-2 Jumped up three spots with victory over Kapolei.
5.Hilo 8-1 Beat Waiakea for the BIIF title.
6.Kapolei 8-2
7.Waianae 8-3
8.Baldwin 8-2
9.Campbell 6-4 Win by forfeit from Moanalua.
10. Mililani 6-3

MauiSun
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by MauiSun »

Hearing on Maui that after last night game is Mililani is traveling to Maui to play Baldwin. Mililani coaches were seen at Baldwin/Maui High game. It will be part of a doubleheader at War Memorial stadium. Ummm Leilehua vs Iolani ?

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

If Baldwin does host an Oahu team as part of a double header, then I think it is more likely that the second game would be Lahainaluna hosting a first round Oahu team as part of the D-II tournament.

TheKrew808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by TheKrew808 »

Wow not one vote for St. Louis beating punahou? Guess they really didn't know the supporting cast...

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

TheKrew808 wrote:Wow not one vote for St. Louis beating punahou? Guess they really didn't know the supporting cast...
@TheKrew808: I still can't get over that game; I figured Punahou would win by something like 2 TDs. I tell you what: I think Cal Lee won that game, so to speak. He doubles as DC, and he--and, I guess, his D-line coach--came up with that outstanding blocking scheme for the D-line. Cal is living-up to his reputation as a defense guru. St Louis' supporting cast? When you think about it, the only players that one might consider "blue-chip" are QB Tuatagovailoa and LB Slade-Matautia. But, other players on the team really stepped-up during that game, both on O and on D. Frankly, I think the entire St Louis team should take a bow, including the coaching staff. They really blew people away by winning that game, I'm sure. They certainly blew me away. I mean, like I totally freaked-out. Like, at one point it was 21-0, St Louis. Insane.

Aitorahi
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
MLB: Washington Nationals
NBA: OKC Thunder
NFL: SF Niners

Post by Aitorahi »

Ei
reignjah11 wrote:Seeding should be pretty straightforward...OIA Champ plays winner of ILH #2 vs OIA #3 and ILH Champ plays winner of OIA #2 vs OIA #4.

Open Division Tournament
This seems likely, considering the teams in each side haven't played each other yet. In the case of Kapolei/Waianae game, I would prefer to lose, so I would get Farrington instead of Punahou. It would make the path to the championship a little easier for them, imho.

I would like to see the Tagovailoa brothers head to head. I think a lot of people would like that too. So in your scenario, a Waianae over Kapolei could give us that.

Either way, Kahuku's path to the championship would be tough and St Louis much easier, again imho.

TheKrew808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by TheKrew808 »

Cal Lee was out on Kidney stones, And Wes Tufunga ran the D. But this is the same team that beat them last year and also took the Jv title..And with juniors Like Purcell, Tuilolo,Tufunga,Feary and Taliulu returning next year. If they fix the O line and QB situation I'd have to put my money on them 3peating..But....Not strong enough for Kahuku IMO...

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

TheKrew808 wrote:Cal Lee was out on Kidney stones, And Wes Tufunga ran the D. But this is the same team that beat them last year and also took the Jv title..And with juniors Like Purcell, Tuilolo,Tufunga,Feary and Taliulu returning next year. If they fix the O line and QB situation I'd have to put my money on them 3peating..But....Not strong enough for Kahuku IMO...
@TheKrew808: I know Cal has had that kidney-stone problem for several weeks, but I thought he was there coaching that last Punahou game? Anyway, whoever devised the D-line's blocking scheme deserves a medal. 1.) They held Punahou to a season-low 14 pts, and, 2.) Helped cause Punahou to throw what must certainly be a season-high 5 INTs for one game. Of course, the secondary has to get credit for that, too. Both of those feats are unreal. But, I agree, I don't think St Louis can get past Kahuku. For one thing, Kahuku is a totally different animal than Punahou. Kahuku is run-oriented, while Punahou is pass-oriented; stopping Kahuku's run game is totally different than stopping Punahou's pass game. Also, Kahuku's D is better than Punahou's D.

TheKrew808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by TheKrew808 »

Yes cal was there but heard from the grapevine he was Kinna laidback( not 100%) and Wes ran the show. Yep and ur right on that ANIMAL part haha..Big Red has been smashing everyone. Atleast we get a couple good games left with the puns and the Lou playing other OIA teams still..I know the teams not set but the brackets should be announced already!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

TheKrew808 wrote:Yes cal was there but heard from the grapevine he was Kinna laidback( not 100%) and Wes ran the show. Yep and ur right on that ANIMAL part haha..Big Red has been smashing everyone. Atleast we get a couple good games left with the puns and the Lou playing other OIA teams still..I know the teams not set but the brackets should be announced already!
@TheKrew808: OK, would I be correct in assuming from your last post that you're a St Louis alumnus? Again, St Louis pulled-off a beast of an upset against Punahou. I mean, if St Louis had won by even 1 point, I would have been shocked. And again, the brilliant pass-rush scheme used by the St Louis D-line against Punahou would be almost useless against run-oriented Kahuku. If St Louis' D-line tried that against Kahuku, Kahuku's O-linemen would be already blowing past the line of scrimmage, cleaning-out Slade-Matuitia and the other LBs. And if the O-linemen don't do that, the blocking-backs would finish the job.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Aitorahi wrote:Ei
reignjah11 wrote:Seeding should be pretty straightforward...OIA Champ plays winner of ILH #2 vs OIA #3 and ILH Champ plays winner of OIA #2 vs OIA #4.

Open Division Tournament
This seems likely, considering the teams in each side haven't played each other yet. In the case of Kapolei/Waianae game, I would prefer to lose, so I would get Farrington instead of Punahou. It would make the path to the championship a little easier for them, imho.

I would like to see the Tagovailoa brothers head to head. I think a lot of people would like that too. So in your scenario, a Waianae over Kapolei could give us that.

Either way, Kahuku's path to the championship would be tough and St Louis much easier, again imho.
@Aitorahi: Yes. Isn't it ridiculous, that teams are seeded in such a way that--if you're Kapolei or Waianae--you'd rather lose, just so that you draw Farrington rather than Punahou in states? It's perverse when you have an incentive to lose.