unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
saintlouisontop
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by saintlouisontop »

If Saint Louis and Punahou got to go into this playoffs. They would sweep.

KindergartenCop
High-quality H20 provider

Post by KindergartenCop »

saintlouisontop wrote:If Saint Louis and Punahou got to go into this playoffs. They would sweep.

They go by how many teams play in your league, not how great or competitive the league is. Not sure what the count would be to add another slot for that league. Does anyone know?

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker
NFL: Chicago Bears

Post by politclyincrekt »

KindergartenCop wrote:
saintlouisontop wrote:If Saint Louis and Punahou got to go into this playoffs. They would sweep.

They go by how many teams play in your league, not how great or competitive the league is. Not sure what the count would be to add another slot for that league. Does anyone know?
Well considering the OIA Division I has 14 schools to the ILHs 4, the OIA should be given 7 more slots into states if 2 ILH schools get into the tournament (maintaining the 3.5:1 ratio). I think a better system would be to have the ILH and OIA play for the final berth into states. ILH second place should play the OIA 3rd place and the winner will receive the at-large berth.

Now putting this argument to rest (as I'm sure unpaid would like to as well), the ILH is more competitive IMO because the talent in the league is concentrated in 4 schools. The OIA (even the best programs) do not have that level of concentration. If the ILHs cumulative talent were spread across 14 schools (the way it is with the OIA), then the ILH schools would be on par with the public schools. And with the obviously superior resources and talent (I have said this over and over) there should be no excuse for a private school to lose to a public school in the same division. Absolutely no excuse. And Punahou and St. Louis, with all its money, superior staff, and talent, cannot consistently beat the top public schools to win championships.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

politclyincrekt wrote:Well considering the OIA Division I has 14 schools to the ILHs 4, the OIA should be given 7 more slots into states if 2 ILH schools get into the tournament (maintaining the 3.5:1 ratio). I think a better system would be to have the ILH and OIA play for the final berth into states. ILH second place should play the OIA 3rd place and the winner will receive the at-large berth.

Now putting this argument to rest (as I'm sure unpaid would like to as well), the ILH is more competitive IMO because the talent in the league is concentrated in 4 schools. The OIA (even the best programs) do not have that level of concentration. If the ILHs cumulative talent were spread across 14 schools (the way it is with the OIA), then the ILH schools would be on par with the public schools. And with the obviously superior resources and talent (I have said this over and over) there should be no excuse for a private school to lose to a public school in the same division. Absolutely no excuse. And Punahou and St. Louis, with all its money, superior staff, and talent, cannot consistently beat the top public schools to win championships.
^^^That is exactly it. The ILH D1 only has four teams...four...and the fourth team is still questionable as to whether they're truly year in, year out D1 material or not. If you reduce the OIA to just the top three or four teams in pretty much any season since that ILH 5th year senior nonsense was put to rest, it would be just as or in some years more competitive than the ILH. Take just this season for example: you'd have Mililani(preferably pre/post-Milton injury, but whatever), Kahuku, Farrington and Waianae. Even the 5th and 6th best teams Kailua and Kapolei would probably be at least be competitive as Iolani has been so far if they were in the ILH.

Like others have already pointed out, regardless of how many entries each league gets into the state tourney, the best in the OIA has beaten the best in the ILH in the final game more times in the 2000s than the other way around. Sure you could argue that too many OIA teams get into the state tourney, but it's been one of the top two public school teams that's made it to and/or won the state championship. There have been no Cinderella seasons as far as I can remember.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

ILH supporters need to stop crying. Only your champion gets in,while the OIA gets three...boo to the hoo! ILH has a playoff to determine their league champion and so does the OIA. If I am not mistaken,the OIA state champions have also won the OIA championship game.Yeah,two other OIA schools got in,but none of them ever went on to win a state championship over the OIA team that won the league playoffs. So. the bottom line is,OIA champ vs.ILH champ best in both divisions,,,OIA still has more state titles.

If you want to prove to me that the OIA has an unfair advantage in state titles in D-I compared to the ILH, then show me for the record how many OIA state championship teams were not also the OIA playoffs champ as well. The answer is none. All of the OIA state champs also won the OIA playoffs in their respective years. nEVAH been any OIA runnerups or even third seeds win a state championship against the ILH sole entry who has been the second team in the finals.

No,my ILH friends,your best has always faced our best in the end ,and the OIA has the edge.

KindergartenCop

Post by KindergartenCop »

unpaid wrote:ILH supporters need to stop crying. Only your champion gets in,while the OIA gets three...boo to the hoo! ILH has a playoff to determine their league champion and so does the OIA. If I am not mistaken,the OIA state champions have also won the OIA championship game.Yeah,two other OIA schools got in,but none of them ever went on to win a state championship over the OIA team that won the league playoffs. So. the bottom line is,OIA champ vs.ILH champ best in both divisions,,,OIA still has more state titles.

If you want to prove to me that the OIA has an unfair advantage in state titles in D-I compared to the ILH, then show me for the record how many OIA state championship teams were not also the OIA playoffs champ as well. The answer is none. All of the OIA state champs also won the OIA playoffs in their respective years. nEVAH been any OIA runnerups or even third seeds win a state championship against the ILH sole entry who has been the second team in the finals.

No,my ILH friends,your best has always faced our best in the end ,and the OIA has the edge.

How do you feel about the outer islands BIIF & MIL getting a bid. do you think its a waste of money and time flying them in to play? wouldn't that be better served if another OIA and ILH get the spot, just to make it more competitive.

RedBull
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by RedBull »

Sounds like some ILH fans are afraid of this ^ insert Mililani/Kahuku. It's a possibility that the loser of the OIA championship game may knock out the ILH winner, and peoples frustrations are getting the better of them.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Got a feeling StL will not make the trip.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

How do you feel about the outer islands BIIF & MIL getting a bid. do you think its a waste of money and time flying them in to play? wouldn't that be better served if another OIA and ILH get the spot, just to make it more competitive.[/quote]

Do that and it would not represent the HHSAA. Classic game 2006, Baldwin is leading Kahuku 20-14 with time for 1 play. Shiloh Teo throws a halfback option hail Mary pass. Yup, caught in a crowded end zone with no time left. Following week Kahuku beats #1 StL. 7-6 on a Richard Torres pass and a SASAOKA kick. Baldwin had studs that year.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

RedBull wrote:
Sounds like some ILH fans are afraid of this ^ insert Mililani/Kahuku. It's a possibility that the loser of the OIA championship game may knock out the ILH winner, and peoples frustrations are getting the better of them.
It's got no business happening since there should only be a 4-team tournament with the winners from the ILH, OIA, BIIF, and MIL.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

And one question: why is the OIA letting the 5th and 6th best teams in both divisions qualify? Just have a three-week playoff involving 8 teams. What could be wrong with that?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Punahou 26, Kamehameha 23 F

We are the team that never quits.

On the other side, I'd hate to be a Kamehameha fan and feel for them. Three losses where they've held double-digit leads.

HaterOfElitists

Post by HaterOfElitists »

I wonder who's had more luck: this year's Punahou team or the 2012 Iolani team (which won maybe 6 games that were nearlosses).

SRJC
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by SRJC »

[/quote]How do you feel about the outer islands BIIF & MIL getting a bid. do you think its a waste of money and time flying them in to play? wouldn't that be better served if another OIA and ILH get the spot, just to make it more competitive.[/quote]

yes it is a waste of money flying them in to play this year but every now and then the M.I.L. does field a competitive team that can hang with the states best. For example Lahainaluna when they were in division 1 beat Mililani in the quarters not the same Mililani progam of today. back then they were coached by James Millwood but still a win
http://archives.starbulletin.com/2004/1 ... ndex5.html

and hung with eventual state champs Kamehameha in the semi's before losing.

WhoAmI?
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by WhoAmI? »

Anyone who wishes the OIA and ILH never merge belongs in Guantanamo!