Looking ahead to 2015 Hawaii high school football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Looking ahead to 2015 Hawaii high school football

Post by unpaid »

May is approaching. To me,that means track and field finals and spring football practice.

I know a lot of people are tied into who is transferring where ,but ,for me personally , I don'T have the time for it ,so ,if

you need to correct me...do it...not a big thing with me.I would want people to know.

I have been going through lists to see who the players are who have made a name for themselves that return to prep gridirons this year. and have matched it up to my year-end top tens from D-I and D-II from last year. Just looking ahead to next year. I am not giving out a pre-season ranking here.cuz it is way to early but ,adding up the numbers have me rethinking what 2015 rankings might be. So,here goes.....

D-I
Based on my way subjective list.Mililani has 7 impact players returning...the most of any team in either division. It would be hard to pick against the Trojans.Punahou has suffered severe attrition due to graduation and have 4 impact players returning 3 on offense and 1 is the PK. St.Louis, who I thought perhaps more highly at the end of last year than I should have also has 4 impact players returning. They are all on offense..so I am still concerned about their defense as well as Punahou's since neither ILH contender has proven studs back on defense this year.

Kahuku is a surprise because on paper it looks like they also have 7 impact players returning,but ,if I am not mistaken,one of them is transfering to a Utah school....Kahuku may have to move up from last year...we shall see.
Farrington has five impact players returning ,so I am expecting another solid year from the Governors.

Kamehameha returns 5 impact players,more than Punahou or St.Louis....and the Warriors have at least one on defense unlike Punahou and St.Louis.who I think will both be looking for answers on defense.

Campbell has two impact players returning,Hilo none,Leilehua has one,as does Waianae.

Among teams that finished outside the top ten,my view is that Moanalua and Maui lead the way with 3 impact players returning,Kaiser is close behind with 2,and Aiea and Kapolei have one each.

Iolani is in D-I ,probably for this fall only,but they have 5 impact players back...understand they are coming up from D-II so how the skill set works out in D-I remains to be seen.

Now ,here comes D-II

Looking at my subjective numbers,,,just me...I am really gonna have to reconsider No.1 in preseason.
I was thinking Lahainaluna or Nanakuli....but my stats throw out two other teams.

Kapaa and Kamehameha-Hawaii lead the way with each team having five impact players returning in my view.

Nanakuli is still strong with 4,but Lahainaluna lost heavily to graduation and only have 2 impact players as I see it.

Radford also has ,in my opinion,5 impact players returning just like Kapaa and Kamehameha-Hawaii,but,I am a Radford alum,so based on where the Rams finished last year,I have to say I don'T think they will be in the top two.....but ,they do have 5 coming back so we shall see...

Pearl City got shredded by graduation,no impact players returning,Konawaena has two as does Damien. HPA and some of the BIIF schools I am not sure about because I don'T have class info in terms of who is a junior,soph,frosh ,etch. But I will say that ,based on history,HPA will contend and I think Honokaa will eventually.

My surprise team in D-II is looking like Kalaheo right now...they have 2 impact players returning.

rednblue
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: Looking ahead to 2015 Hawaii high school football

Post by rednblue »

unpaid wrote:May is approaching. To me,that means track and field finals and spring football practice.

I know a lot of people are tied into who is transferring where ,but ,for me personally , I don'T have the time for it ,so ,if

you need to correct me...do it...not a big thing with me.I would want people to know.

I have been going through lists to see who the players are who have made a name for themselves that return to prep gridirons this year. and have matched it up to my year-end top tens from D-I and D-II from last year. Just looking ahead to next year. I am not giving out a pre-season ranking here.cuz it is way to early but ,adding up the numbers have me rethinking what 2015 rankings might be. So,here goes.....

D-I
Based on my way subjective list.Mililani has 7 impact players returning...the most of any team in either division. It would be hard to pick against the Trojans.Punahou has suffered severe attrition due to graduation and have 4 impact players returning 3 on offense and 1 is the PK. St.Louis, who I thought perhaps more highly at the end of last year than I should have also has 4 impact players returning. They are all on offense..so I am still concerned about their defense as well as Punahou's since neither ILH contender has proven studs back on defense this year.

Kahuku is a surprise because on paper it looks like they also have 7 impact players returning,but ,if I am not mistaken,one of them is transfering to a Utah school....Kahuku may have to move up from last year...we shall see.
Farrington has five impact players returning ,so I am expecting another solid year from the Governors.

Kamehameha returns 5 impact players,more than Punahou or St.Louis....and the Warriors have at least one on defense unlike Punahou and St.Louis.who I think will both be looking for answers on defense.
in the ILH I agree, I would add....

Punahou will be returning at least two impact players on defense in Senior LB Laakea Look and Junior DB Seyddrick Lakalaka.

Saint Louis will be debuting two impact transfers that sat out last season, both at linebacker. Junior LB Isaac Slade-Matautia and Senior LB Jordan Iosefa.

Kamehameha has at least two impact players on defense, Senior LB Tainoa Foster and Junior DB Kekaula Kaniho.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Unpaid- Here is my opinion on the BIIF next year. DI will be a battle with Hilo losing most of their defensive players, however, I feel they have the top QB in the BIIF moving up from JV and they do return several starters from last years team. But I would have to go with Kealakehe as the team to beat. Their entire team comes back and most of the impact players have three years under their belt returning for their senior season. Waiakea and Keaau will be better but not at the level of Kealakehe or Hilo.

DII- KS-Hawaii returns probably the best O-line in DII but their problem will be at the QB spot and having someone step in to fill that big void. Yes, they do have impact players but without a QB that can stretch the field like they did last year, it will be very difficult to repeat. They also lost 19 seniors and the Offensive and Defensive POY.

Konawaena is the team to beat here as they return most of their defensive starters and have a few studs on offense. They also had a great JV team and most of those kids saw varsity action during the playoffs. Honokaa is my dark horse, they return lots of good players to include their three year starting QB. They just need to play four quarters of football. Unfortunately HPA will be struggling the next few years, I don't think they'll win more than two games all season.

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: the off season

Post by BullNuts808 »

rednblue wrote:
unpaid wrote:May is approaching. To me,that means track and field finals and spring football practice.

D-I

Punahou will be returning at least two impact players on defense in Senior LB Laakea Look and Junior DB Seyddrick Lakalaka.

Saint Louis will be debuting two impact transfers that sat out last season, both at linebacker. Junior LB Isaac Slade-Matautia and Senior LB Jordan Iosefa.

Kamehameha has at least two impact players on defense, Senior LB Tainoa Foster and Junior DB Kekaula Kaniho.
I think we should factor in coaching changes especially for Kam Oahu with their new rookie DC almost entirely new defensive staff. Although they have experienced college greats coaching like Dave Maeva, I believe it will take a while before the coaches mesh and acclimate to new system whatever that may be. Significant Loss with Beatty and company departing.

Crusaders are loaded and reloaded with a talented JV class. In addition to their back-up QB winning the Heisman last year(jk :hello1: ), I think 2015 will be All Crusaders'.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I am liking these responses...good stuffs brahs!

BullNuts808, curious...Doug Cosbie is showing some staying power,but do you think he should have gotten his people in sooner,or is this current coaching shake-up a sign that continuity is still a few years away for the Kapalama campus?

Getreal$, appreciate info on the BIIF,Hilo and Kamehameha-Hawaii were the only two teams I had decent info on,so thanks for the input. I figure Hilo is taking a hit this year,but really had no real idea what Kealakehe had coming back. Is Keenan Luis RB one of the Waverider returnees?

rednblue, I also picked Tainoa Foster as a impact returnee for Kamehameha....thanks for the info on the other Kam and Pun defensive players. I knew that St.Louis had a couple of transfers on defense that had to sit out last year...so I did not include them since they didn't play. It will be interesting to see what they can do on the field. I think the Crusader O will be fine,but if the defense comes around...then Mililani has a challenge awaiting them in the fall....I would have to think that Kahuku could be an obstacle to Mililani repeat title hopes also ,,if the new coaching staff can jell quickly and get the players on the same page.

Aitorahi
High-quality H20 provider
MLB: Washington Nationals
NBA: OKC Thunder
NFL: SF Niners

Post by Aitorahi »

I too hope that Kahuku gets it together, especially on the offensive side. I believe we will. Defense should be solid again. Hopefully we will still have Coach Sola on the sidelines. I heard that the Govs kicker Sasaoka came back to Kahuku, as well as a few Kamehameha JV guys. Maybe Coach Vavae Tata can lure some of our homegrown boys at St Louis to come back. IMO, anything short of a championship appearance will be a let down in Red Raider country.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Unpaid- for Kealakehe, Riggs Kurashige and Akoni Demello are their running backs, both are three year starters.
I believe Luis played for Baldwin and I think he graduates this year.

Konawaena has Cameron Howes, Luca Vartic, Algene Kelekolio, Kayson Mahiai and others.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Getreal$,

I stand corrected....Luis did play for Baldwin.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

Defense and special teams will be what keeps Kahuku in the hunt while the offense tries to get an identity before the playoffs.
-------------------

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by BullNuts808 »

Unpaid - Cosbie just promoted within, so the DC, previous LB coach, was already there. DC brought in two or three additional coaches. However, I believe Kam still has two defensive coaches still on staff. I think the defense will take a lost not having Beatty there. Good for Kahuku though. It my theory that Cosbie's just going through motions until his son graduates then he moves to an AD position somewhere in KSBE. Its a shame that a lot of the talent at this school aren't playing bc of the inside politics.

I wanted to add........
With Hilo losing a lot of their returnees, no disrespect to BIIF but I don't see any teams from the big isle making it past the playoffs. Kapa'a is peaking right now adding Coach Mike Tressler (former UH footballer) to da mix and should have no problem taking the D2 Title. They were tough last year and will be the team to beat for 2015.

OIA D1 - Mililani (offense powerhouse with a defense that's rebuilding). I think Kahuku could be a force but the head coach change could set them back. It appears that most in the tight-knit community seem skeptical about the new hire being an "outsider". The best move for Coach Tata is to hire most of his assistant coaches from the community to smooth out this transition. I agree with Huki-lau-lau. Kahuku's D is scary good.

OIA D2 - Nanakuli looks strong but Radford has some speedsters. If they have someone to step in at QB, they'll be a force to reckon with. I really like Kalaheo. They got size this year.

All in all, pretty excited to watch the teams play out. Curious to see who will be the dark horses this year.

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker
NFL: Chicago Bears

Post by politclyincrekt »

Before everyone starts counting teams like Kahuku and stuff out...remember...an OIA Division 1 team only needs 1 win to get into play-offs. They need to beat another team just once. All Kahuku has to do is have McKinley or Kailua in their schedule and they are set.

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by BullNuts808 »

politclyincrekt wrote:Before everyone starts counting teams like Kahuku and stuff out...remember...an OIA Division 1 team only needs 1 win to get into play-offs. They need to beat another team just once. All Kahuku has to do is have McKinley or Kailua in their schedule and they are set.
politclyincrekt - For the record, I'm not counting Kahuku out. They should be the top contender but coaching change should have some setbacks especially if Tata brings in more coaches outside the community. It would be ridiculous to overlook that fact that Kahuku probably has the best Defensive personnel in the OIA this year.

BowTow

Post by BowTow »

Aitorahi wrote:I too hope that Kahuku gets it together, especially on the offensive side. I believe we will. Defense should be solid again. Hopefully we will still have Coach Sola on the sidelines. I heard that the Govs kicker Sasaoka came back to Kahuku, as well as a few Kamehameha JV guys. Maybe Coach Vavae Tata can lure some of our homegrown boys at St Louis to come back. IMO, anything short of a championship appearance will be a let down in Red Raider country.
Why would Sasaoka transfer back for his senior year, just to be ineligible?

Aitorahi
MLB: Washington Nationals
NBA: OKC Thunder
NFL: SF Niners

Post by Aitorahi »

BowTow wrote:Why would Sasaoka transfer back for his senior year, just to be ineligible?
I believe the new transfer rule begins on the first day of the 2015-2016 year. He transferred not too long after last year's football season ended and is already attending class at Kahuku. The other homegrown players that came in from Kamehameha are also already attending class, but I don't think it matters coming from ILH to OIA, as long as they live in the area. I heard rumors that some St Louis JV players might be coming home too. I guess we will see.

fballnutbag

Post by fballnutbag »

BullNuts808 wrote:
rednblue wrote:

D-I

I think we should factor in coaching changes especially for Kam Oahu with their new rookie DC almost entirely new defensive staff. Although they have experienced college greats coaching like Dave Maeva, I believe it will take a while before the coaches mesh and acclimate to new system whatever that may be. Significant Loss with Beatty and company departing.

Crusaders are loaded and reloaded with a talented JV class. In addition to their back-up QB winning the Heisman last year(jk :hello1: ), I think 2015 will be All Crusaders'.

I've also heard that Kamehemeha also lost a lot of the offensive staff too. Only 1 coach returning on offense. Can anyone confirm? I did hear Maeva will be up there. He's a good addition to the defense. Hopefully they can play like him!