Kevin Clune to Utah State

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
sl1322
All-conference
All-conference

Kevin Clune to Utah State

Post by sl1322 »

Matt
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Kevin Clune to Utah State

Post by Matt »

Not a good week, hope we get some good news from recruiting to make up for it.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Not looking good.... crap right before LOI day. Utah St is visiting a few local boys in the upcoming weeks

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

This one hurts! We need to stop bleeding and get rid of Chow. Who's gonna come and work here knowing that they might be out of a job after one season.

Chow'sNextQB
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Chow'sNextQB »

Im surprised Chow hasn't had more to say in his coaching staff. Seems like a lot of people are leaving. Why doesn't he get some USC guys in?

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Probably the job he wanted to begin with. Will be interesting to see what Chow does now. It could mean his end or show his genius. Just bad timing because Chow will probably wait until after the recruiting period to hire a new DC unless he promotes from within. Daronte was also the associate head coach so if anything happens to Chow...... I don't see anyone on the current staff who is ready to take over the program.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

Egonator
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: Brewers/Rays
NBA: Jazz/Timberwolves
NFL: Vikings/Bills

Post by Egonator »

I really hope he hires someone from out of state. Although I do like local coaches, being a high school coach is nothin compare to a coach with college football background. .

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Clune was really chummy with the Utah St guys after they beat us last season. He even shoo'd away the OC16 camera guys who filming after the game when Clune was talking with some Aggies

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

BigWave96744 wrote:Clune was really chummy with the Utah St guys after they beat us last season. He even shoo'd away the OC16 camera guys who filming after the game when Clune was talking with some Aggies
We'll just have to find someone who is better.
ImageImage

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

it kinda sucks that we have a lame duck AD right now. if the new AD was in place, we could go after someone really good and give them assurances that they'll get first crack at the HC job next year. hard to do that when the guy hiring the next HC isn't even on campus yet.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

We are experiencing the ripple effect that exists with the coaching carousel. Coach Clune is heading to Utah State because Todd Orlando left Utah State to be DC at Houston. The Houston DC job opened up because David Gibbs left Houston to be DC at Texas Tech. Coach Clune was here for just a year, and I would suspect that one of the reasons he left Utah State because he was passed over. after spending multiple years at Utah State and Weber State I believe. It should come as no surprise that he bolted back to Utah the first chance he had.

I had some reservations about him when he was hired here because he was apparently passed over in favor if Todd Orlando whose resume included stops at Florida International and UConn before his brief stint at Utah State. Coach Clune has shown that he is a capable DC here, so he got the offer this time. I can't say that I am totally correct and only based my conclusions from checking coaching backgrounds.

The timing of Coach Clune's departure during the few days before NLI Day is a setback, but there is no use crying about it. It is what it is. Gotta move forward. As Irse mentioned, just find someone better. I believe there are better college DCs out there, and one may be looking for an advancement opportunity. He may not be here for long, but another DC may actually be better. Remember when some scoffed at the Cal Lutheran DC? I realize that he was not initially hired as DC, but he turned out to be darned good, eh?

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

the coaching carousel is always going to be a thing, but it is compounded by our lame duck ad/hc situation that makes UH a less-attractive destination for potential replacements. this is worst-case scenario for us right now.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

poidog wrote:the coaching carousel is always going to be a thing, but it is compounded by our lame duck ad/hc situation that makes UH a less-attractive destination for potential replacements. this is worst-case scenario for us right now.
I would argue that dismissing Greg McMackin at the cost of $500,000 to hire a lame head coach was the cause of this worst-of-all-case scenarios. Lame coach fires awesome coaching staff...which opposing coaches quickly snap up...now, ironically, the fired coaches are now hiring Norm's replacements.

I won't miss Klune because, like all of Chow's replacements, he was only ever temporary.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

SundayJam wrote:
poidog wrote:the coaching carousel is always going to be a thing, but it is compounded by our lame duck ad/hc situation that makes UH a less-attractive destination for potential replacements. this is worst-case scenario for us right now.
I would argue that dismissing Greg McMackin at the cost of $500,000 to hire a lame head coach was the cause of this worst-of-all-case scenarios. Lame coach fires awesome coaching staff...which opposing coaches quickly snap up...now, ironically, the fired coaches are now hiring Norm's replacements.

I won't miss Klune because, like all of Chow's replacements, he was only ever temporary.
Actually if Clune had hung around and helped Chow turn things for the better he may have ended up with an inside track for the HC job. I don't think that Chow has many years left ih him.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

SundayJam wrote:

Having options and then picking the wrong one is not as bad as not having options.