OG Tyler Whisenhunt commits to Cal Poly

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

OG Tyler Whisenhunt commits to Cal Poly

Post by Sportsbow »

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TYLER WHISENHUNT Image OG, 6-4, 280 lbs.
(California HS - San Ramon, CA)
(Committed to Cal Poly)

Video: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/2082310/tyler-whisenhunt

Maxpreps.com profile: http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/tyler-w ... -stats.htm

ESPN.com profile: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... whisenhunt

Rivals.com profile: http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/r ... unt-145567

Scout.com profile: http://hawaii.scout.com/a.z?s=219&p=8&c=1&nid=7213312

SoCalBowFan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: UH offers OG, Tyler Whisenhunt a scholarship for 2015 cl

Post by SoCalBowFan »

Getting interest from a lot of big schools

BigWave96744

Re: OG Tyler Whisenhunt commits to Cal Poly

Post by BigWave96744 »

committed to Cal Poly

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Did we offer him?
ImageImage

Matt
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Matt »

Irse wrote:Did we offer him?
According to rivals, us and 3 other MWC schools offered him.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Matt wrote:
Irse wrote:Did we offer him?
According to rivals, us and 3 other MWC schools offered him.
And he picks Cal Poly? I wonder how accurate his info is.
ImageImage

JustMyOpinion
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by JustMyOpinion »

He chose an academically superior school in a beautiful mid sized California city. In a lot of ways, his decision shows superior intelligence if he's thinking about his life after football. Same is true of a kid who picks Stanford or Harvard over Ohio State ... there's more than football to think about!

Just my opinion that kids should think more about the big picture than they do. The UH is great and if you were interested in tropical agriculture or oceanography, it would be the place to go for a smart kid. Otherwise, really smart kids should not give up Harvard, Yale or Princeton for major college football.

Keith

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

JustMyOpinion wrote:He chose an academically superior school in a beautiful mid sized California city. In a lot of ways, his decision shows superior intelligence if he's thinking about his life after football. Same is true of a kid who picks Stanford or Harvard over Ohio State ... there's more than football to think about!

Just my opinion that kids should think more about the big picture than they do. The UH is great and if you were interested in tropical agriculture or oceanography, it would be the place to go for a smart kid. Otherwise, really smart kids should not give up Harvard, Yale or Princeton for major college football.

Keith
I don't know about Cal Poly (San Luis Obispo?). I agree with you with respect to Stanford, the Ivy schools and other academic top 25 schools. That's why, as a parent, I cannot understand why some local recruits recently picked Oregon over Stanford (I think Rex Manu decommited from Stanford to do so). However, the Ivy schools do not award athletic scholarships, so if the student athlete does not receive enough in grants and aid, the Ivy schools may be a no go. I applauded the decisions of Matt Masifilo and Luke Kaumatule (Stanford), Mike Souza (Northwestern), Jason Ching (Shawn's brother) and Manti Te`o (Notre Dame) and others who chose more academically-oriented universities over glitzier schools.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

I agree. Players should look at the complete package. Unless you work for Nike there aren't as many (good paying) job opportunities in Oregon vs the Bay Area, Seattle or Southern California.

And you typically end up working in the surrounding area of the school that you go to.

JustMyOpinion
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by JustMyOpinion »

Cal Poly (both campuses) was just named the best public university in the West ... for the 22nd consecutive year. Both campuses are highly regarded while each emphasizes different specialties. SLO is more into applied science than theoretical, but this just reflects a slightly different focus. SLO has the Ag School ... and that might be source of the different perceptions of their focuses.

Anyway, you got to be among the best to get into either campus. Reed College in Oregon is usually the toughest private college to get accepted to.

Keith