WAC vs MWC

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
tangomike
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

WAC vs MWC

Post by tangomike »

ok, how many of you would want UH to join the MWC if we were offered to join thier conference? also why or why not.

I say NO!!!!!!! I really can't see long term benefit. immediately maybe, because they have better television contracts right now. no offense wyokie but, why would we want to renew a rivalry with wyoming....wyoming...???? UH should come up with a trophy or cup or something with fresno st or bsu.

It seems to me like people long for the old wac. it's like we got jilted when the mwc secretly dumped us and the rest of the wac. we can't move on and long for a relationship with someone who doesn't want us. what's up. people need to let go of the past. the wac, in my opinion is just as good as the mwc. there is a percepion still lingering that the mwc is a better conference, and we feed that by not supporting the agreement a few years back that would have made everyone stay in the wac. i don't blame all those schools for going to c-usa. why stay in a conference when, you know most of the schools will jump at an opportuinty to go to the mwc.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Re: WAC vs MWC

Post by wyokie »

tangomike wrote:ok, how many of you would want UH to join the MWC if we were offered to join thier conference? also why or why not.

I say NO!!!!!!! I really can't see long term benefit. immediately maybe, because they have better television contracts right now. no offense wyokie but, why would we want to renew a rivalry with wyoming....wyoming...???? UH should come up with a trophy or cup or something with fresno st or bsu.
No offense taken, tangomike! Everyone has a right to their opinion. The series was never really well-attended by Hawaiians when the games were at Aloha and by Wyominigites at War Memorial in Laramie.

Granted, I'd love to see UH in the MWC however the addition of TCU killed off any hope of the 'Bows joining the MWC. If and when the MWC does expand, they'll take Fresno, Boise, and either Nevada or UTEP.

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

How's it going tangomike,

We actually started something called, "The Blue Pineapple", which would have been a trophy between Hawaii and Boise State. Caught on real well, but just didn't have the support to push foward. Our idea was to start a trophy between fans that might possibly be adopted by the institutions.

I believe we actually have a stronger football conference than the MWC. The Mountain West Conferance had three schools with winning records last year. Two of them schools barely had winning recordings, UNM went 7-5 and Wyoming went 7-5. No team broke even.

The WAC had 4 schools with winning records and 1 school that broke even. Also, all of our schools with winning records had more than 8 wins.

Last season:
the WAC's OOC record was 19-19
the MWC's OOC record was 18-17

both confernces seem basically even right there, with them given a slight edge.

Here's the sad issue: based on OOC schedules, here's how the WAC would have looked without SMU, Tulsa, Rice and UTEP, while adding Utah State, Idaho and New Mexico State.
18-19.

not much of a change, but a change for the worse.

add in TCU's 2-1 OOC record and the MWC goes to
20-18

now compare the two and see which conference is better.

Damn, I went through all this crap and now I've changed my mind, the WAC has a long way to be better than the MWC. I believe if UTEP never left we would be just as good.

Ldub20
All-American
All-American

Post by Ldub20 »

Of all the years Utep leaves, they leave now! They SUCKED for how many years and now I think there an up and coming team!

Especially football! Mike Price will and has turned that program around!
He's brought back excitement and guess what? THEY SELL OUT NOW!
50,000+!

When they played Hawaii last year, that's the first time I've ever seen the Sun Bowl PACKED!

How many time can we say that about Aloha Stadium? What a joke!

Is it too windy! Or too cloudy! Or traffic! You name it! Hawaii fan's will have an excuse! HAHA! :lol:

BigWave96744

UTEP

Post by BigWave96744 »

And UTEP's Basketball reignited their fire power and attendence...
I remeber hearing that UTEP's BBall season ticket holders even got a waiting list and their AD said absolutely no TV or replays (even if the games are sold out night in and night out)

Man teams on the move are like Pro's in their last year of their contract, play super hard to impress.
- UTEP FBall & BBall
- TCU FBall (when they bailed the WAC)
- Louisville Fball (when bailing CUSA)

JWarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NFL: Atlanta Falcons

Post by JWarrior »

Is the MWC really a step up? I use to be all for joining the MWC, but now I don't think so any more. I think it would just be a lateral move now. Especially with the rise in power with Boise, Fresno, and UH. Our top 3 teams are better than the MWC's top 3. It's the rest of the conference that will make or break us.
ImageImageImage

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

JWarrior wrote:Is the MWC really a step up? I use to be all for joining the MWC, but now I don't think so any more. I think it would just be a lateral move now. Especially with the rise in power with Boise, Fresno, and UH. Our top 3 teams are better than the MWC's top 3. It's the rest of the conference that will make or break us.
How can you think it's a lateral move?! :o

1) we just had one school go to a BCS BOWL which is something that no WAC school (sorry my friends) will ever pull off! Why? We have a better SOS than the WAC.

2) Other than UNLV and San Diego State, their's far better competition and parity where NO conference game is a gimmie whereas a game against Idaho is the same as an open date!

Hate to say it but, if the MWC came calling Frazier would accept an invite in a split-second!

tangomike
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by tangomike »

I agree wyokie that the mwc has a stronger conference overall, especially with the 3 new schools. however, to say that no wac school will "ever" play in a bcs bowl game is very arrogant and uninformed. boise st. should have had the opportunity to play in a bcs bowl game last year. boise st. has a real chance to get to one this year. fresno st. has a slim chance this year. if boise gets by georgia, they have a very good chance to run the table. they are higher in the rankings in the preseason than last year. will utah be able to repeat thier performance from last year without herman meyer and alex smith? i don't think so. who else in the mwc has a real shot this year to get to a bcs bowl?

i've said this before, if the top 3 teams in the wac (boise st, fresno st, and UH) would make an agreement to stay in the wac, it would bring stabillity to the conference and we wouldn't have so many teams leaving. going to the mwc would be a lateral, no doubt in my mind. I think the television contract that the mwc took will be huge player in the next couple of years. already, it has helped the wac and hawaii directly. we may have six? games nationally or regionaly televised.

i don't see any advantage of joining the mwc and hope we never do.

go Warriors!!!!

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

I won't start a flame war here since I'm friends with a lot of you but,...

Mark my words...The moment Herman Frazier or whoever Hawaii's AD will be when it happens gets a call from Colorado Springs stating that the MWC will like to extend an invitation he or she will ACCEPT in a heartbeat!!!!!! Sorry, but it's the plain truth!

tangomike
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by tangomike »

wyokie wrote:I won't start a flame war here since I'm friends with a lot of you but,...

Mark my words...The moment Herman Frazier or whoever Hawaii's AD will be when it happens gets a call from Colorado Springs stating that the MWC will like to extend an invitation he or she will ACCEPT in a heartbeat!!!!!! Sorry, but it's the plain truth!
Once again i agree with you, the sad truth is that hawaii and any other wac school would absolutely jump to the mwc at the drop of a hat. sad to say, because i truly beleive it would be a lateral move with the direction the wac is currently heading. we can agree to disagree on point.

i definately disagree with your statement about the possibility of a wac school getting to a bcs bowl. time will tell and i don't think it's a bad thing to debate that. I appologize if i was a bit harsh in my initial response. as a mwc fan you can look at the wac however you wish and say what you wish, i don't have a problem with that. I feel very differently from you regarding the wac. again we can agree to disagree, no hard feelings here.

go Warriors!!!!

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

tangomike wrote:
wyokie wrote:I won't start a flame war here since I'm friends with a lot of you but,...

Once again i agree with you, the sad truth is that hawaii and any other wac school would absolutely jump to the mwc at the drop of a hat. sad to say, because i truly beleive it would be a lateral move with the direction the wac is currently heading. we can agree to disagree on point.

i definately disagree with your statement about the possibility of a wac school getting to a bcs bowl. time will tell and i don't think it's a bad thing to debate that. I appologize if i was a bit harsh in my initial response. as a mwc fan you can look at the wac however you wish and say what you wish, i don't have a problem with that. I feel very differently from you regarding the wac. again we can agree to disagree, no hard feelings here.

go Warriors!!!!
I agree to agree to disagree. I probably sound like I'm drunk. :lol:

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Post by H20 »

wyokie wrote:
JWarrior wrote:Is the MWC really a step up? I use to be all for joining the MWC, but now I don't think so any more. I think it would just be a lateral move now. Especially with the rise in power with Boise, Fresno, and UH. Our top 3 teams are better than the MWC's top 3. It's the rest of the conference that will make or break us.

1) we just had one school go to a BCS BOWL which is something that no WAC school (sorry my friends) will ever pull off! Why? We have a better SOS than the WAC.

2) Other than UNLV and San Diego State, their's far better competition and parity where NO conference game is a gimmie whereas a game against Idaho is the same as an open date!

Hate to say it but, if the MWC came calling Frazier would accept an invite in a split-second!
Hawaii has a better SOS this year than any other mid-major team. I'm not saying we're going to a BCS bowl, just saying that the whole MWC doesn't have a better SOS by default. Fresno was ranked #8 in '01 before they met Hawaii and Boise, they were well on thier way. If Boise would just schedule hard they might have made it any one of the last few years.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

H20 wrote:
wyokie wrote:

Hawaii has a better SOS this year than any other mid-major team. I'm not saying we're going to a BCS bowl, just saying that the whole MWC doesn't have a better SOS by default. Fresno was ranked #8 in '01 before they met Hawaii and Boise, they were well on thier way. If Boise would just schedule hard they might have made it any one of the last few years.
Thank you. That's what I was trying (& failing misblerly) to say!

Plus, perception rules over reality to eastern voters. They think that the MWC is head and shoulders above the WAC! Thus, the WAC'S problem!

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Post by H20 »

Actually I was saying that a WAC team could have made it a few years before Utah so it is possible for a WAC team. And Hawaii could do it this year if we went undefeated, theoretically of couse.