Looks like the Big East is one step closer to losing bid

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
warriorfan808

Looks like the Big East is one step closer to losing bid

Post by warriorfan808 »

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ss ... 203240.xml
Ted Lewis wrote:In another development from the meeting, the Big East's hopes for keeping its automatic qualifying status took another hit in the meetings when the Orange Bowl declared it only wanted to continue to be tied in with the Atlantic Coast Conference and not both leagues. The Big 12 will continue its ties with the Fiesta Bowl and the Big 10 and Pacific-10 with the Rose Bowl.

But the Big East champion will not have an anchor bowl. The conference's automatic bid will be subject to review if it does not meet unspecified performance standards over a four-year period that started last season.

The BCS commissioners will meet again in St. Louis during the Final Four and April 25-28 in Scottsdale, Ariz., where the selection process is expected to be the major topic of discussion.

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Post by H20 »

I think it will get picked up by the MWC if they lose it. The balance of power needs to be shifted and right now only the Pac-10 is representing the west.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

H20 wrote:I think it will get picked up by the MWC if they lose it. The balance of power needs to be shifted and right now only the Pac-10 is representing the west.
The MWC will get the Big Least's automatic spot. You can bet the farm on it. But, the BCS require the MWC to go to 12 before getting the spot. Five seconds later, the ADs at Boise, Fresno, and at Manoa will get calls from the MWC asking them if they want to join the conference.

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

wyokie wrote:
H20 wrote:I think it will get picked up by the MWC if they lose it. The balance of power needs to be shifted and right now only the Pac-10 is representing the west.
The MWC will get the Big Least's automatic spot. You can bet the farm on it. But, the BCS require the MWC to go to 12 before getting the spot. Five seconds later, the ADs at Boise, Fresno, and at Manoa will get calls from the MWC asking them if they want to join the conference.
Nevada is going to be part of the group, so I"m a little worried about Fresno State and Hawaii's chances. The thing is, all the Fresno State problems could actually benefit Hawaii when it comes to choosing a partner. Here's how I see it as far as right now.

First Choice: Boise State. You can't deny their success these past few years. In fact, I don't think the MWC has any school that has been as successful as Boise State for the past 5 years. They've been upgrading their basketball team lately, so that gives them more of a shot.

Second Choice: Nevada. They don't have much of a football team, but they are being backed by UNLV and have a very good basketball program.

Third Choice: Hawaii. I think it's actually pretty close between Nevada and Hawaii, but travel will be Hawaii's downfall.

Last Choice: Fresno State. They got a lot to offer, but those scandles are really going to hurt them.

WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by WA Warrior »

wyokie wrote:Five seconds later, the ADs at Boise, Fresno, and at Manoa will get calls from the MWC asking them if they want to join the conference.
Acutally it will be the ADs from the schools once again begging to be let in or in UH's case, back in the "ole boys club".

Mahalos [*]Red Gun[/color] for the update!!!

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

WA Warrior wrote:
wyokie wrote:Five seconds later, the ADs at Boise, Fresno, and at Manoa will get calls from the MWC asking them if they want to join the conference.
Acutally it will be the ADs from the schools once again begging to be let in or in UH's case, back in the "ole boys club".
Mahalo, WA Warrior. LOL I meant to say that. ROFLOL :lol: :lol:

tangomike
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by tangomike »

I think we should stay where we are. If boise, fresno and Hawaii stay in the wac our conference is just as good as the mwc. why is everyone so hot and heavy to go back to the traitors that iced us out in the first place. then when they were expanding, they wanted us to pay the other schools to come to hawaii to play.

the mcw may be looked upon as a higher rated conference, but in reality I don't think they are. If the main 3 schools stay put, I see good things for the WAC. the grass is not always greener or better on the other side of the fence.

H20

Post by H20 »

The MWC is better top to bottom, you don't see many MWC teams ranked in the bottom 20 year after year, in the WAC you do. Plus best against best, Utah is better than Boise.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

H20 wrote:The MWC is better top to bottom, you don't see many MWC teams ranked in the bottom 20 year after year, in the WAC you do. Plus best against best, Utah is better than Boise.
Thanks, H20! :D

Besides, in college football, perception is far more powerful than reality.

H20

Post by H20 »

Yeah don't get me wrong though, Boise, Fresno, and Hawaii could hold our own in the MWC, but the rest of the teams suck. Maybe Nevada is the exception. Utep would have been the other one but they're gone now.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

H20 wrote:Yeah don't get me wrong though, Boise, Fresno, and Hawaii could hold our own in the MWC, but the rest of the teams suck. Maybe Nevada is the exception. Utep would have been the other one but they're gone now.
Agree. As for your comment about Boise, Fresno, and/or Hawaii holding their own against the MWC; Well, we're going to found out in 2006 as Boise State travels to Laramie to get horsewhipped by some Paniolos.

The problem the WAC has is that the bottom bunch of teams are super bad! Beating the likes of USU, NMSU, Idaho, and SJSU won't help your cause for a BCS invite.

As I said before perception is the norm in college football, NOT reality!

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

The whole WAC vs. MWC rivalry is exactly why I thought that the Hawaii bowl, or any bowl for that matter, should showcase a winning team from each conference put up against each other. Maybe the winner can be awarded the, "Golden Airport", which will symbolize the break up of the two bodies.