Indian names banned

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
2ScoopRice
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by 2ScoopRice »

The University of Northern Colorado
Some folks are wise and some folks are otherwise. ~ Old English Proverb

A teacher affects eternity. He can never tell where his influence stops. ~ Henry Adams

Lucky you live Hawaii !!!

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

2ScoopRice wrote:The University of Northern Colorado
Thought so. Someone was mentioning them YEARS ago on Wyoming board and I think on the MWC board as well.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Go white people!!! :D

2ScoopRice
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: reply

Post by 2ScoopRice »

J-Rod98801 wrote:Go white people!!! :D
Be careful not to cheer for them in the wrong part of town. ;)

A teacher affects eternity. He can never tell where his influence stops. ~ Henry Adams

2ScoopRice
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by 2ScoopRice »

I wonder if they play that old Vanilla Ice song at their games, you know where the back up singers say Go White Boy, Go White Boy, Go!!! :-

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

I still cant believe it :-? The whites :x True 2scoop I cant imagine the other nationalities in the locker room putting on that white uni(no pun intended)

2ScoopRice
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by 2ScoopRice »

I know it sounds goofy but they did it to make a point.

The T-shirt and other paraphernalia sales helped fund the team. A couple of years ago their was a big write up in the press about them and they said a lot of white guys that they were parodying bought their stuff because it was so ridiculously funny.

It's good to see someone make their point with humor instead of the usual shouting and name calling. Although I agree with you, I don't think I could sport that uni and I'm your average white guy.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Same here. That would be weird. I refuse to play with a.... well not going to say not creative but stupid mascot. Are there any teams with a african-american name. Oh I'm hedding one name :x

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

MASCOTS - Racism in Schools by State

Many of these schools and school board members claim to be "honoring" Native Americans by their use of a mascot like "Braves", or "Chiefs", or "Indians", or "Warriors", and even the more obvious racial slur "Redskins". I ask of each of these schools and school board members - If the people being "honored" feel only degradation, pain, racism, and disgust, then where is the "honor"?????!!!! One particular school in California who refer to themselves as "Apache", were told by the Apache students of a school on the Apache reservation that they felt it was an insult for this to continue. The Califorina school decided that No matter what the Apache people feel and expressed to them, the "Apache" mascot will continue. This is "HONOR"?
See; Arcadia "Apache"

Children are being harmed by these mascots, and not just the Native American children. Once the stereotype is established in a student's mind, it makes it very difficult for children of any race to learn about present day Native Americans. For instance, I have been asked by school children if I still live in a TiPi, and I have been told by a young school aged child that I can't possible be an Indian, because Indians were all killed a long time ago, and that's why the school mascot is an "Indian" - so Indians can be remembered. That is racism. There does not have to be a feeling of hate to make it racism. And, we aren't saying that these people are terrible people, we are saying that they have choosen a mascot that offends, and they might not even understand that it offends. We don't want a confrontation with them, we want to talk to them and convince them that for the good of all the children in the schools, the mascot should change. Many times I have seen the school boards or the school put the mascot issue to a vote - majority rules. Issues involving racism or civil rights CANNOT be solved by having them put to a vote. This should not be a situation where the majority dictates to the minority how things are going to be, it should be a situation where the RIGHT thing is done even if it is not the most popular opinion of the RIGHT thing to do.

I am NOT honored when the people in a stadium are encouraged by a white student on horseback and wearing what "they" think is Indian attire, to do the "tomahawk chop"!
I am NOT honored to hear the students of a rival school screaming "kill the Indians"!

I am NOT honored to see various racist depictions of what a "Brave" or "Warrior" or "Chief" are supposed to look like in the eyes of those who mock us!

I am ESPECIALLY NOT honored when we tell you it is not an honor but an insult to be depicted in this way - and it continues anyway!

Indians are real living people, and we are the ONLY living race of people to be used as mascots. Why? And, most importantly - why teach racism to children in school????? Why are there no schools with a mascot called the "Blackskins"? Why are there no schools with a mascot called the "Jews"? I think the answer is obvious, it would be an insult to Black people or to Jews - yet schools have a mascot of "Redskins" or "Indians" - why?

Here are a few quotes by people that these schools claim to "honor".

Vernon Bellecourt: "We are saying - start playing football and stop playing Indian. Stop this dehumanizing, degrading, and despicable exploitation of our culture and spiritual life."

Clyde Bellecourt, National Director, AIM: "We don't want to be mascots for America's fun and games."

Kathy Morning Star, Director AICS and Director VA AIM: "It is the responsibility of educators to set the example and teach the youth of today to respect other ethnic or minority peoples - NOT to exploit or disrespect them by using them as 'mascots' or stereotypical 'images' which purpetuates racism."

Mike Wicks, participating member AIM and AICS Co-director: "We need to educate the educators. Show them the harm that is being done to all children."

Barbara Munson (Oneida): "When someone says you are hurting them by your action, if you persist - then the harm becomes intentional."

And this one from a Washington Post Editorial: "Redskins is not a term fashioned by American Indians. The nickname was assigned to them just as the pejorative designation "darkies" was once imposed on African-American slaves.
That was wrong then - this is wrong now."

Actually the term "Redskins" is far worse than implied in the statement above.
See REDSKINS for more information on the source of this racist term.

For a list of schools by state, who are using these racist mascots,
see SCHOOLS for more information.

For a list of state education agencies who are allowing these racist mascots,
see AGENCIES for more information.

For all supporters of this issue, please read this message.RULES!.

Here is a letter from the Society of Indian Psychologists;

Here is an article from Dr. Cornel Pewewardy;

Here is a letter from Dr. David Rider;

Here is a rather special paper by Dr. Chris Kraatz;

U.S. Department of Justice report entitled "American Indians and Crime"

U.S. Commission on Civil Rights Statement

In Whose Honor? a film for educators;

Teaching Indians to Be White - another film for educators;

The National Coalition on Racism in Sports and the Media;

The Washington DC City Council resolution 14-262;

http://www.aics.org/mascot/mascot.html

vailima
All-conference
All-conference

Post by vailima »

nothing wrong with mascots with an indian theme or whatever if it sells.....nobody seems to be complaining about UNLV's mascot, the running rebs, in fact everybody thinks its cool, they're making a whole lot out of nothing, and if u don't like the mascot.....don't watch the game. i think the schools have the right to name their mascot without interference from ncaa or from tribes........freedom of speech, everybody get over it, just because u don't like something doesn't mean someone else has to be banned from saying or printing it, i'm surprised ACLU isn't on this on behalf of the colleges, but they're a bunch of hypocrites anyway......uh's mascot should have been alii's or menehunes who gives a damn

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

I bet no one will pick on Notre Dame.............Fighting Irish?

but they will pick on Warriors.

beegpk
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by beegpk »

TheDuke wrote:I bet no one will pick on Notre Dame.............Fighting Irish?

but they will pick on Warriors.
from their website:

The Fighting Irish

Exactly where and how Notre Dame's athletic nickname, "Fighting Irish," came to origination never has been perfectly explained.

One story suggests the moniker was born in 1899 with Notre Dame leading Northwestern 5-0 at halftime of a game in Evanston, Ill. The Wildcat fans supposedly began to chant, "Kill the Fighting Irish, kill the Fighting Irish," as the second half opened.

Another tale has the nickname originating at halftime of the Notre Dame-Michigan game in 1909. With his team trailing, one Notre Dame player yelled to his teammates - who happened to have names like Dolan, Kelly, Glynn, Duffy and Ryan - "What's the matter with you guys? You're all Irish and you're not fighting worth a lick."

Notre Dame came back to win the game and press, after overhearing the remark, reported the game as a victory for the "Fighting Irish."

The most generally accepted explanation is that the press coined the nickname as a characterization of Notre Dame athletic teams, their never-say-die fighting spirit and the Irish qualities of grit, determination and tenacity. The term likely began as an abusive expression tauntingly directed toward the athletes from the small, private, Catholic institution. Notre Dame alumnus Francis Wallace popularized it in his New York Daily News columns in the 1920s.

The Notre Dame Scholastic, in a 1929 edition, printed its own version of the story:

"The term 'Fighting Irish' has been applied to Notre Dame teams for years. It first attached itself years ago when the school, comparatively unknown, sent its athletic teams away to play in another city ...At that time the title 'Fighting Irish' held no glory or prestige ...

"The years passed swiftly and the school began to take a place in the sports world ...'Fighting Irish' took on a new meaning. The unknown of a few years past has boldly taken a place among the leaders. The unkind appellation became symbolic of the struggle for supremacy of the field. ...The team, while given in irony, has become our heritage. ...So truly does it represent us that we unwilling to part with it ..."

Notre Dame competed under the nickname "Catholics" during the 1800s and became more widely known as the "Ramblers" during the early 1920s in the days of the Four Horsemen.

University president Rev. Matthew Walsh, C.S.C., officially adopted "Fighting irish" as the Notre Dame nickname in 1927.

JWarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NFL: Atlanta Falcons

Post by JWarrior »

Last I heard, Hawaii was one of the schools that was in question about using Native American or Indigenous peoples names as nicknames. Anyone heard anything since?

As for Florida State, they have an agreement with the Seminole tribe, where that the tribe gets certain advantages discounts/scholarships, I don't recall which, when going to FSU.
ImageImageImage

Starter
Starter

Post by 1014 »

I cant tell you the exact story, but when Stanford asked the students to vote on a proposed name change in the 60s(?) from their previous mascot the Indians, the ever progressive student body voted for The Robber Barons in memory of Stanford himself. the admin nixed the vote and changed the name to the cardinals instead.

Starter
Starter

Post by 1014 »

JWarrior wrote:Last I heard, Hawaii was one of the schools that was in question about using Native American or Indigenous peoples names as nicknames. Anyone heard anything since?

As for Florida State, they have an agreement with the Seminole tribe, where that the tribe gets certain advantages discounts/scholarships, I don't recall which, when going to FSU.
I believe it was only by the Department of Hawaiian Studies and how the term "Warrior" brought about a "persistant" negative stereotype of Polynesians. But it was never brought on the national level such as the case of FSU.