PAC-12 hurting for good coaches

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

PAC-12 hurting for good coaches

Post by shrek2 »

Looks like the Pac-12 is going to have another year as just another also-rans. The top coach in my mind is Scott Petersen of UW and David Shaw of Stanford. Of the rest, they can never even dream of making the top four teams in the National playoffs. The worst thing they could do was hire Chip Kelly who I never thought was any good at Oregon and went on to worse fame at Philadelphia hired at UCLA. Chip Kelly leaves the Eagles and they take the Superbowl. No way that's possible with him there. At Oregon, he had the talented quarterbacks but still no trick to defending his offense. At this point in the season, I'm sure that the Pac-12 is looking at some of the talent in the mid-majors and looking to hire some successful head coaches. Have no clue why Cal fired Jeff Tedford as he developed Aaron Rodgers and Cal at least was a possible contender. Hope Rolo sticks with UH for as long as JJ did to bring Hawaii back into national prominence.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: PAC-12 hurting for good coaches

Post by EITSwarrior »

shrek2 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:13 pm Looks like the Pac-12 is going to have another year as just another also-rans. The top coach in my mind is Scott Petersen of UW and David Shaw of Stanford. Of the rest, they can never even dream of making the top four teams in the National playoffs. The worst thing they could do was hire Chip Kelly who I never thought was any good at Oregon and went on to worse fame at Philadelphia hired at UCLA. Chip Kelly leaves the Eagles and they take the Superbowl. No way that's possible with him there. At Oregon, he had the talented quarterbacks but still no trick to defending his offense. At this point in the season, I'm sure that the Pac-12 is looking at some of the talent in the mid-majors and looking to hire some successful head coaches. Have no clue why Cal fired Jeff Tedford as he developed Aaron Rodgers and Cal at least was a possible contender. Hope Rolo sticks with UH for as long as JJ did to bring Hawaii back into national prominence.
Chris Peterson bud, not Scott. As for Chip Kelly, I think UCLA doesn’t have the pieces or they’re just too young to really execute his offense.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

EITSwarrior wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:47 am
shrek2 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:13 pm Looks like the Pac-12 is going to have another year as just another also-rans. The top coach in my mind is Scott Petersen of UW and David Shaw of Stanford. Of the rest, they can never even dream of making the top four teams in the National playoffs. The worst thing they could do was hire Chip Kelly who I never thought was any good at Oregon and went on to worse fame at Philadelphia hired at UCLA. Chip Kelly leaves the Eagles and they take the Superbowl. No way that's possible with him there. At Oregon, he had the talented quarterbacks but still no trick to defending his offense. At this point in the season, I'm sure that the Pac-12 is looking at some of the talent in the mid-majors and looking to hire some successful head coaches. Have no clue why Cal fired Jeff Tedford as he developed Aaron Rodgers and Cal at least was a possible contender. Hope Rolo sticks with UH for as long as JJ did to bring Hawaii back into national prominence.
Chris Peterson bud, not Scott. As for Chip Kelly, I think UCLA doesn’t have the pieces or they’re just too young to really execute his offense.
Thanks for your correction bud. So, do you see the Pac-12 making the NCAA playoff bowl championship series any time soon?

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

BCS doesn’t exist anymore. If you’re asking if I see a PAC-12 team making the CFB playoffs then at this point of the season, no. Bama, Clemson I think are almost guaranteed locks. Ohio St, Georgia, Oklahoma, LSU, are the other three I think will contend for the other two spots. Stanford and Washington look to be the best of the PAC-12, but I don’t know if they’ll be able to get playoff spots.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

There is still a bias towards the SEC and some other conferences. If you ask me, Scott Frost's team UCF should have been national champions last year. Frost now coaches Nebraska...and they lost their opener. Frost may have been the offensive coordinator for Oregon...but I'm not sure.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

SundayJam wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:08 am There is still a bias towards the SEC and some other conferences. If you ask me, Scott Frost's team UCF should have been national champions last year. Frost now coaches Nebraska...and they lost their opener. Frost may have been the offensive coordinator for Oregon...but I'm not sure.
I agree with your statement about UCF but Auburn beat Washington this year and Washington was the hope of the Pac-12.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Tedford started losing near the end of his tenure and was a victim of his success.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

shrek2 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:01 am
SundayJam wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:08 am There is still a bias towards the SEC and some other conferences. If you ask me, Scott Frost's team UCF should have been national champions last year. Frost now coaches Nebraska...and they lost their opener. Frost may have been the offensive coordinator for Oregon...but I'm not sure.
I agree with your statement about UCF but Auburn beat Washington this year and Washington was the hope of the Pac-12.
Auburn beat both Georgia and Alabama last year...and lost to UCF in the Peach Bowl. I feel that the National Sham-pionship should not be an all-SEC loser fest. It is awesome that Tua got to step in to save the Tide last year.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:46 pm
Tedford started losing near the end of his tenure and was a victim of his success.
I'd like to see his Bulldogs beat the Bears soon. He took a bottom dweller in the MWC to the top of the pack in his first year.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

SundayJam wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:53 am
shrek2 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:01 am
Auburn beat both Georgia and Alabama last year...and lost to UCF in the Peach Bowl. I feel that the National Sham-pionship should not be an all-SEC loser fest. It is awesome that Tua got to step in to save the Tide last year.
For some reason, I can't stand the SEC too. Maybe they glorify the conference on tv, not sure. That's why I like to see Ohio State in the mix and Clemson take the championship two years ago. But I kinda wish that the Pac-12 was not a weak sister of the Power-5.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Chip Kelly's lack of success in not just limited to my point of view that he wasn't that great at Oregon.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... spartandhp

rodfather
All-American
All-American

Post by rodfather »

My two cents. Well more than two cents. Chip Kelly is using pro set QBs and personnel in his spread system. As for the playoff, I want 8 teams. One for each Power 5 champ. And three at large...1 goes to best group of five team. The other two at large, eg. 2nd SEC team or Notre Dame, BYU at large if they reach a certain rank etc. The one catch, Seeds 1-4 hosts Seeds 5-8. So for example, you last year you could have had a UCF going to play at Alabama. Some say this is unfair...but to quote Ric Flair "In order to be the MAN, you have to BEAT the MAN." But then again, If this is done, I also want everyone to go back to 11 game seasons with the Hawaii exception of course. Imagine how fun if we had a playoff back in the 90s. The SWC, Big East football, Big 8, and WAC conferences would still be around!
"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat." --- Jigoro Kano, The Founder of Judo

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

I've enjoyed watching Pac12 football over the years. Teams have their up years and down years. I have to say, I've always enjoyed bowls where the Pac12 (10) were involved...rather than the SEC or Big 10. Nah...I don't buy the bias towards any given conference or team in any given year.

To say that the Pac12 is hurting for good coaches is just plain...poo poo. Dooohhh...the Ducks got ripped by the Cardinals last week! What was that all about? Bad coaching? Stuff happens. Sometimes things don't pan out the way you want them to.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

I was watching the Ducks/Cardinals game. Ducks had them the entire game. I mean entire game. Oregon with the ball with under two minutes left about mid-field. All they had to do was kneel down but they went for the first down on a run up the middle, fumble. Stanford went for the tie and won in over time. Oregon had the lead the entire time except for the end of the game. I feel sorry for the Ducks fans. The one thing Stanford does well is use their big receivers as possession receivers. Not fast but they throw jump balls to these big wide receivers and tight ends. In comparison, though, the Pac-12 cannot compete with the SEC teams so they don't have a chance in the final four teams.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Pac-12 sinks to another low. An attorney for the Pac-12 overrides the officials and reverses targeting call although he is not an official.
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/pac ... ty-wilner/