But, but Colin Kaepernick was never any good

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: But, but Colin Kaepernick was never any good

Post by SundayJam »

Kap is beyond question a great quarterback. While you go on about Jimmy Garoppalo, you forget to mention that the team also has a different coach as well. I don't disagree that Garoppalo is a great quarterback...only that Kaepernick is a great one too.

The NFL blew it where Kap is concerned and stands to lose a lot of money. He would be a perfect fit for the Raiders. They have always been a team of unconventional bad boys. Why not have one more for the other teams to hate on.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Check out Jimmy G mic'ed up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCmBmlWBhfQ
Now check his final drive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQiagk01c7M
The only Colin Kaepernick video I could find is reminiscent of why I stopped watching the 49ers. Besides watching Richard Sherman the following year daring Colin to throw the ball his way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9gZRYN60p8&t=87s

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Answer me this: Was Richard Sherman any good? Were the Super Bowl Champion Sea hawks any good when they put a stop to the 49ers with Kaepernick leading them? The 49ers lost close games to great teams. The fact is...Kap was...and is better than 1/2 of all NFL quarterbacks. Let's not forget that it takes a team to win games.

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

Once the Read-Option was figured out and defenses adjusted to it, Kaepernick was never the same. Defenses knew if you didn't blitz him and played zone, he would struggle from the pocket. Kaepernick struggled going through reads in the NFL, never pass the ball with anticipation and always relied on his arm strength or scrambling to win him games.

I won't say he's bad at being a QB in the NFL, but he struggles with the fundamentals. And if you can't pass from the pocket in the NFL, you won't be in the NFL for very long.

Dude rather be in the weight room than the film room, THAT'S why he's not in the NFL. Also 49ers gave gave him a choice, he could either opt out of his contract or they can release him, he chose to opt out.

People want to bring up Kaepernick being black-balled, if 49ers were to pick up that 6th year option they would've had to pay him $15.5 million. 49ers weren't gonna pay a QB that much money coming off a 1-8 year, using the NFL as his political platform and quite frankly someone who struggles at taking 3, 5 and 7 step drops unable to go through his reads. 49ers picked up Blaine Gabbert for $2 million and he matched Kaepernick's record in 2016. So if you're an NFL GM, would you pay Kaepernick $12-$16 million? The going rate right now for a franchise QB is $20-$25 million......HELL NO!!! That's why he's not in the NFL.
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Makana
Starter
Starter

Post by Makana »

shrek2 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:33 pm Check out Jimmy G mic'ed up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCmBmlWBhfQ
Now check his final drive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQiagk01c7M
The only Colin Kaepernick video I could find is reminiscent of why I stopped watching the 49ers. Besides watching Richard Sherman the following year daring Colin to throw the ball his way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9gZRYN60p8&t=87s
Jimmy G. is the man, he is exactly what you want in a QB, very poised in the pocket, manipulates defenders with his eyes, throws with anticipation, leads his receivers with accuracy and ball placement. Jimmy G.'s accuracy is crazy, on top of that he has one of the quickest releases in the NFL. Jimmy G. aka Jimmy GQ aka Jimmy Gorgeous aka Jimmy Jesus aka jimmy G-Thang is the anti-Colin Kaepernick.
― Albert Einstein

-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Makana wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:56 pm Once the Read-Option was figured out and defenses adjusted to it, Kaepernick was never the same. Defenses knew if you didn't blitz him and played zone, he would struggle from the pocket. Kaepernick struggled going through reads in the NFL, never pass the ball with anticipation and always relied on his arm strength or scrambling to win him games.

I won't say he's bad at being a QB in the NFL, but he struggles with the fundamentals. And if you can't pass from the pocket in the NFL, you won't be in the NFL for very long.

Dude rather be in the weight room than the film room, THAT'S why he's not in the NFL. Also 49ers gave gave him a choice, he could either opt out of his contract or they can release him, he chose to opt out.

People want to bring up Kaepernick being black-balled, if 49ers were to pick up that 6th year option they would've had to pay him $15.5 million. 49ers weren't gonna pay a QB that much money coming off a 1-8 year, using the NFL as his political platform and quite frankly someone who struggles at taking 3, 5 and 7 step drops unable to go through his reads. 49ers picked up Blaine Gabbert for $2 million and he matched Kaepernick's record in 2016. So if you're an NFL GM, would you pay Kaepernick $12-$16 million? The going rate right now for a franchise QB is $20-$25 million......HELL NO!!! That's why he's not in the NFL.
I agree with everything you said. By the way, Jimmy G only got $850K this year. And, Alex Smith got released by KC and got picked up by another team. So if Colin wanted to play, he could. But you know, after watching him at UNR, I was not impressed. He kind of lucked out with Harbaugh calling his plays but that only worked as you said for a short time until the "D" started figuring him out.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

I'll agree that there are a lot of overpaid, horrible quarterbacks in the NFL. Joe Flacco is the first one that comes to mind. But, ignoring the black-balling allegation is naive.
“We made a mistake by addressing the anthem and the military part of it,” said Dolphins defensive back Michael Thomas. “We should have kept it about systemic oppression. Never allow them to hijack that conversation.”

“Them” is a lot of different groups, whether outright opponents of the protests or certain media pundits or the President of the United States. Kaepernick was very clear about his motives: addressing police brutality and racial inequality. But the ensuing conversation (especially on TV) was rarely about those issues specifically. How often did the conversation delve into bail reform or apartheid schools as a part of this discussion?
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/moment-nfl ... 03107.html That was an excerpt from a piece on white NFL players taking up this same cause.

Also, I looked up Blaine Gabbert. He played on the same team as Kaepernick and never broke a 90 passer rating. Kap finished his career with a 90.7 passer rating in 2016. Kap's overall stats were:
72 tds 30 ints 12,271 yds 88.1 passer rating

Gab 2017 stats: 6 tds 6 ints 1,086 yds 71.9 passer rating
His 2016 stats were even worse.

That was really not even worth comparing. Thanks for making me aware of one more substandard, overpaid NFL quarterback.

Makana
Starter
Starter

Post by Makana »

That still says absolutely nothing or no proof at all that Kaepernick is being black balled?

What about meeting with the Seahawks, a meeting that went longer than expected?

Ravens almost signed Kaepernick until his girlfriend made a racist remark.

How is that being black balled? If anything Ray Rice is being black balled and rightfully so, at least Kaepernick came close with two teams and even three with the Texans who considered signing Kaepernick. (Articles aren't hard to find it's all on Google)

You also have to take into account at other teams cap situations and compensatory formulas which teams think highly of - See Jimmy Garoppolo trade.

Also not sure WHY you bothered to post their stats especially Kaepernick's. Most of Kaepernick's stats, yards and TD's were made when the game/s were pretty much lost. Don't get me wrong he played a couple of decent games, but when you're a franchise QB moral victories aren't what put fans in the stadiums. Only stat that matters are W's.

But my point in comparing Gabbert and Kaepernick were to show just as good or on par performance with a $12 million dollar QB and a $2 million dollar QB. And that no team in their right mind would pay a QB $16 million dollars coming off injury, being benched and a 1 win season.
― Albert Einstein

-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Makana
Starter
Starter

Post by Makana »

One more thing, Passer ratings are a poor stat for an argument. In 2013 when the 9ers went to the NFC Championship his passer rating was 91.6 and that's with an All-Pro O-line in front of him. 2016 90.7, but with only 1 win, hmm....but why? The year he was asked to pass more from the pocket not only did his passer rating drop to a 86.4 but his sacks numbers and INT's were up. Plain and simple Kaepernick lacks and struggles with fundamentals.
― Albert Einstein

-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Makana wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:12 pm One more thing, Passer ratings are a poor stat for an argument. In 2013 when the 9ers went to the NFC Championship his passer rating was 91.6 and that's with an All-Pro O-line in front of him. 2016 90.7, but with only 1 win, hmm....but why? The year he was asked to pass more from the pocket not only did his passer rating drop to a 86.4 but his sacks numbers and INT's were up. Plain and simple Kaepernick lacks and struggles with fundamentals.
The 49ers had THE worst defense in the NFL in 2016. The first two years Kap got the call to start, the 49ers went to a Super Bowl and the NFC Championship. 2015 featured an interim head coach who was fired and replaced with another head coach who also lasted one season. The 49ers had become a bad team but it was not Kaepernick's fault.
On January 14, 2015, Tomsula became the 49ers' head coach, succeeding Jim Harbaugh who had been forced out by 49ers CEO Jed York.

Tomsula employed new coaching practices, which included giving his players breaks to check social media during meetings, shorter, easier practices, and more days off. The result was one of the worst offenses in team history. Scoring only 238 points, the 49ers would struggle to a 5-11 season, with Colin Kaepernick ending the season on injured reserve after being benched. The 49ers would ultimately be eliminated from the postseason in Week 14 of the 2015 regular season.
...and another rumor has it that Jimmy Garoppolo was traded because Tom Brady didn't like him. There are plenty of articles on this topic also...just google it.

Makana
Starter
Starter

Post by Makana »

I think you missed my point about the passer rating. My point was to show that regardless of passer rating it doesn't tell the whole story about a QB's performance that season. For instance Kaepernick's 90.7 isn't that far off from Kaepernick's 91.6 in 2013, but why is that. Truth is Kaepernick produced a lot of stats when the game was out reach or in the first half then struggled after the half.

Here's an example, in week 8 vs. Chicago, Kaepernick passed for only 4 yards.......4 FRICKIN YARDS and he played for three quarters!!!!

Out of 12 games started, he looked good for three, vs. New Orleans, Seattle and Rams, all were home games.

Also are you implying that Kaepernick being bench was just a rumor? lol

check this out:

Pre-snap reads, which one would've been the correct one?

Hint.....see Torrey Smith waving?..........THAT'S WHY HE WAS BENCHED!!! Kaepernick just isn't good outside of the Read Option.
― Albert Einstein

-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Makana wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:40 am I think you missed my point about the passer rating. My point was to show that regardless of passer rating it doesn't tell the whole story about a QB's performance that season. For instance Kaepernick's 90.7 isn't that far off from Kaepernick's 91.6 in 2013, but why is that. Truth is Kaepernick produced a lot of stats when the game was out reach or in the first half then struggled after the half.

Here's an example, in week 8 vs. Chicago, Kaepernick passed for only 4 yards.......4 FRICKIN YARDS and he played for three quarters!!!!

Out of 12 games started, he looked good for three, vs. New Orleans, Seattle and Rams, all were home games.

Also are you implying that Kaepernick being bench was just a rumor? lol

check this out:

Pre-snap reads, which one would've been the correct one?

Hint.....see Torrey Smith waving?..........THAT'S WHY HE WAS BENCHED!!! Kaepernick just isn't good outside of the Read Option.
Good one Makana. After watching two great quarterbacks in last night's Superbowl, you realize that Kaepernick would not even be on the depth chart of those teams. I don't know why the 49ers picked both Alex Smith or Colin Kaepernick. Alex Smith stuck with the 49ers long enough to know how not to throw the ball out of bounds on the roll out. Alex Smith used to run or throw the ball out of bounds on the roll out until he gained more experience. But even then, he was only mediocre in the NFL.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Kaep just plain sucked. That's all there is to it.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Kaepernick had two great years and two bad years. Yes, he was still a young quarterback who needed coaching.

You also missed my point. What did you not understand about the 2015 coach engineering the worst offense in the NFL? Yes, he was benched, but the coach was also fired. In 2016, under the next head coach, the 49ers also had THE worst defense in the NFL. That coach was then fired. My take: terrible coaches x 2 = 2 terrible years for a developing quarterback.

So now they have a new coach and guess what? They are still at the bottom of the barrel without Kaepernick. It takes time to turn these things around. It simply was not Kaepernick's fault that the team sucked.

I can also dig up a meme for just about any professional or college player. Kaepernick may never get the chance to become the elite quarterback he was meant to be, but he was still a lot better than at least 50% of the starters in the game today.

Check out these gifs of an elite quarterback playing very stupidly.

ImageImageImage

Makana
Starter
Starter

Post by Makana »

Again it doesn't matter what the coaches did or didn't do. Obviously you are doing little to none research about Colin Kaepernick and his development in the NFL even before Jim Tomsula and Chip Kelly.

In 2015 Jim Tomsula wanted Kaerpnick to become more of a pocket passer and Kaepernick even worked out with Kurt Warner to help him with that. But he was still unable to grasp the fundamentals of a pocket QB.
He appeared tethered as the Niners attempted to convert the dual-threat QB into more of a pure pocket passer. So I asked new coach Jim Tomsula if Kaepernick needed to be unleashed next season.
http://www.espn.com/blog/san-francisco- ... o-have-fun

Like I said before and everyone else saw the same thing, Kaepernick needed to spend less time in the wieght room and more time in the film room.
Harrison said Kaepernick should spend less time “worrying about his six-pack and how he looks” and more time hunkered down in the film room. Harrison, who won two Super Bowl trophies as Tom Brady’s teammate with the New England Patriots, hailed Brady as a role model for preparation.
Donovan McNabb, a six-time Pro Bowl selection for the Philadelphia Eagles was, like Kaepernick, a dual threat. Reached on Friday, McNabb said Kaepernick seems so determined to take his downfield shots that he has all but forgotten about the option of dumping a short pass to a check-down receiver.

“You tend to forget read No. 3, which is your running back standing there with his arms up,” McNabb said.
― Albert Einstein

-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum