*** Official McKenzie Milton thread ***

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Congrats to McKenzie Milton in beating Auburn

Post by shrek2 »

I don't think Milton wouldn't do as well at UH that he did at UCF. I think UnBias said something about the UCF coach moving upward and I think we can only hope that our head coach is so good that he has other "substantial" offers. UH looked like they were dancing to the wrong music this year. So, yeah, still disgruntled fans, Nisei and disappointed only because UH came out saying they were going to competing for the MWC rather than they were going to play competitive. I would really like to see the quarterback calling for the ball rather than the center. Good for local boy make good on da mainland. I think the kid will have head coaching capabilities even if he doesn't go pro. Kind of like Petersen of UW.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

Ah, another Rolo did not recruit Milton thread. Comes up everytime Milton rocks. When is the misinformation going to stop?

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

But I do congratulate Milton on his success this season, capping it off with the bowl victory on national tv.
Last edited by Duster on Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

UnBiasFan wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:12 pm
Nisei wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:58 pm
People are mad that the season didn't go the way many had hoped for, and are venting.
UCF also accomplished what Hawaii has never been able to. And UCF coach showed how you can move on to another job and do it with class. A good lesson for everyone to learn.

Hard to say if Milton can go to the next level and succeed like Mariota. I wouldn’t rule him out.
Scott Frost was at UCF for a quick hop-skip-and a jump of two seasons, hardly enough time to make relationships that will get people all butt hurt when things go south. Can’t compare how Frost and Jones left, very different circumstances.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

The Milton-like situation happens in academics as well. Kids apply to UH as their safety school along with applying to their dream school, and are set to go to UH until they come off the waitlist or gain late admission at their dream school. Milton made the right choice for himself, and I enjoyed watching him in the bowl game.
Last edited by Duster on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

UCF paid $2mill for Da Coach. Da Coach was Gruden-esque...McKenzie Milton fulfilled the Gruden-esque coaches' wishes and then the Gruden-esque coach moved on. Dang if Hawaii couldn't build the same machine that saw head coaches come go then we'd be somewhere.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

quikfeat wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:51 pm McKenzie was a lifelong UH Fan sleeping in his UH gear when he was a kid, committed to Chow & once Chow was fired Milton stated, I'll still honor my commitment to UH if the new UH coach has him. We all knew Rolo screwed up when Milton went with Scott Frost but now, every Big Game that Milton wins makes letting him go look even worst. If you can beat Auburn, you can beat anybody. If Scott Frost stayed at UCF, now it almost looks like a Guarantee Milton would have won the Heisman had Frost stayed at UCF. Let's hope Milton still wins the Heisman or decides to come home since Milton has stated he really misses Hawaii. After today, Josh Heupel is going to do everything in his power to keep him at UCF.
So for the misinformation to continue . . . if Rolo screwed up when Milton went with Scott Frost, then Frost screwed over Milton by bolting to Nebraska for the big bucks. There went his Heisman hopes down the toilet.

BTW - congrats to McKenzie and UCF on their outstanding victory! And kudos to Frost and his staff for coaching this game when they really should have been getting down to business with the Cornhuskers.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

No doubt Milton did really well in the game but the defense for UCF was really tough. Tougher than I've seen them play this year. They were in on the passer on almost every play. Frost is going to make a difference in Nebraska.

quikfeat
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by quikfeat »

Ok guys...I appreciate everyone's reply...
Coach Rolo's hiring was 11/28/2015 and Milton decommitted from UH 1/20/2016 so he was still committed to Rolo. Scott Frost was announced UCF head coach 12/2/2015. Frost always liked Milton, stating he was the best QB at one of the camps they had and he wanted to sign him with Oregon however the Oregon head coach wanted a bigger prospect so Frost stated if Milton was 6'4" 225 lbs. every school in the country would be after him.
The other thing, UCF was 0-12 the season Scott Frost was hired.
May I allude to Dick Tomey's book, Rise of the Rainbow Warriors? Dick Tomey stated, the first thing he knew he had to do when he took the UH job was keep Blaine Gaison home; he didn't know anything about Gaison however he knew he had to keep him home. I'm just stating, Rolo did not do enough obviously to keep Milton home whether it was Milton being only 5'11" and 155lbs at the time or some other reason. However he was the best recruit of that UH class being at that stature before decommitting.
UCF was 0-12 before Frost arrived and who's to say he would be a Great Head Coach at that point in time (you never know until they start their Head Coaching Tenure) since there are a lot of Great Offensive/Defensive Coordinators who have failed as Head Coaches.
So being Mckenzie, do you take a chance and go with Scott Frost to a school that was 0-12 the year before or do you stay home where you were a lifelong UH fan and go with Rolo where UH was 3-10 the previous year?
I'm just saying, UCF being 0-12 the previous year and no previous head coaching experience for Scott Frost is a tough sell however obviously Scott Frost was able to sell Milton on that idea which was a job well done on Frost's part with Milton being a lifelong UH fan.
Obviously, Milton made the right decision so far...

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

quikfeat wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:40 pm Ok guys...I appreciate everyone's reply...
Coach Rolo's hiring was 11/28/2015 and Milton decommitted from UH 1/20/2016 so he was still committed to Rolo. Scott Frost was announced UCF head coach 12/2/2015. Frost always liked Milton, stating he was the best QB at one of the camps they had and he wanted to sign him with Oregon however the Oregon head coach wanted a bigger prospect so Frost stated if Milton was 6'4" 225 lbs. every school in the country would be after him.
May I allude to Dick Tomey's book, Rise of the Rainbow Warriors? Dick Tomey stated, the first thing he knew he had to do when he took the UH job was keep Blaine Gaison home; he didn't know anything about Gaison however he knew he had to keep him home. I'm just stating, Rolo did not do enough obviously to keep Milton home whether it was Milton being only 5'11" and 155lbs at the time or some other reason. However he was the best recruit of that UH class being at that stature before decommitting.
UCF was 0-12 before Frost arrived and who's to say he would be a Great Head Coach at that point in time (you never know until they start their Head Coaching Tenure) since there are a lot of Great Offensive/Defensive Coordinators who have failed as Head Coaches.
So being Mckenzie, do you take a chance and go with Scott Frost to a school that was 0-12 the year before or do you stay home where you were a lifelong UH fan and go with Rolo where UH was 3-10 the previous year?
I'm just saying, UCF being 0-12 the previous year and no previous head coaching experience for Scott Frost is a tough sell however obviously Scott Frost was able to sell Milton on that idea which was a job well done on Frost's part with Milton being a lifelong UH fan.
Scott Frost mentored local boy, Marcus Marriota at Oregon, I believe that was part of it too. Thanks for you post.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

I don't know about the situation at UCF before Frost was hired, but here when Chow was fired, the coaching staff basically dropped the ball and stopped all recruiting efforts, leading to the recruits wondering what was happening because there was no word whatsoever from UH until Rolo got on board with some of his staff. Kudos to Kalakaua Timoteo for hanging in there and signing. Now if he can only shake the injury bug and get some playing time!
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

quikfeat wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:40 pm Ok guys...I appreciate everyone's reply...
It's nice to try to back up your argument with dates and Tomey stuff, but none of that really proves that Rolo could have held off Scott Frost's charge to sign his targeted recruit. We can agree to disagree, but here is some history of what transpired as contemporaneously recorded during that time period:

https://ucf.rivals.com/news/frost-gets-his-qb

http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/football ... ed-milton/

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Good for him...we have to move on as fans. ..reality is that his success wouldn't mean he'd do the same @ UH. I mean J Montana wouldn't make a difference running that crappy offense with huge issues in OL play we saw this past season.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:52 pm Good for him...we have to move on as fans. ..reality is that his success wouldn't mean he'd do the same @ UH. I mean J Montana wouldn't make a difference running that crappy offense with huge issues in OL play we saw this past season.
This kind of sums it up. Measuring UH and UCF, you see the difference between two mid-major coaching staffs. UCF with Milton provided the enjoyment that was missing in Hawaii because of the dismal UH year.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Yeah UCF had talent. It's kinda like how Eran Ganot took over a talented team in 2015-16 and helped coach them to their strengths instead of just street Benjy Ball. But Frost did do a good job in bringing in a lot of talented underclassmen too.