*** Official Dave Aranda Thread ***

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
BigWave96744

Re: Aranda offered $2.6 mil

Post by BigWave96744 »

Fun facts about Dave Aranda. I'll add some Hawaii facts that will keep this in the UH Football forum :)

- Dave never played college football

- He began coaching at his HS Alma Mater's JV team as a Sophomore in college in 1995.

- By his junior year in college he began coaching at the college level as a GA at Cal Lutheran in 1996.

- First D1 experience was as a GA at Texas Tech in 1999

- First D1 position coach was with the LBs at Houston in 2002

- First D3 DC job was at Cal Lutheran in 2005

- First D2 DC job was at Delta St in 2007

- First D1 DC job was at Hawaii in 2010

- He has never been a winning defensive coach in the Hawaii Bowl
- 2003 Houston lost to Hawaii, LB coach
- 2008 Hawaii lost to Note Dame, DL coach
- 2010 Hawaii lost to Tulsa, DC

- In 2015, with Dave as the DC, Wisconsin shutout Hawaii 28-0

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

And he is someone Chow didn't think was good enough to be on his staff. That was Arnada's biggest break.
ImageImage

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

What luck not to have been retained by, and stained by Chow.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

I have mixed emotions about this. Aranda was OUR guy. Chow replaced him with some high school coach from Japan...of all places. Aranda credited Utah State with giving him a chance when no one else would. The rest is history. Super Nova happened and a really great, family man gets to write his ticket for life.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

BigWave96744 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:32 am
- He has never been a winning defensive coach in the Hawaii Bowl

- 2003 Houston lost to Hawaii, LB coach
- 2008 Hawaii lost to Note Dame, DL coach
- 2010 Hawaii lost to Tulsa, DC
2003 A linebacker coach could hardly be faulted for a loss to THAT TEAM.

2008 Golden Tate smoked Hawaii in 2008. Notre Dame has held a golden ticket to bowl games since time immemorial.. .like Gipper time....

Tulsa scored 24 points off of six UH turnovers in the first half, including two interception returns for touchdowns.
Bryant Moniz cost Hawaii many things.

Irse

Aranda finally gets a HC job

Post by Irse »

at Baylor. Congrats Dave. Can take him off the UH list :D

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... head-coach
ImageImage

johnny
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Aranda finally gets a HC job

Post by johnny »

Dave should have stayed at LSU ; He was the highest paid DC @2.5 Million. Ed O loved him and would do anything to keep him happy. I know the temptation of a Head Coaching gig is huge but still why Baylor? This is the Big 12 conference where offense is king. Outside of TCU nobody plays defense. Not saying he will fail but this conference is brutal for a defensive minded head coach. Hope he is the exception since he was one of the few defensive gurus in this modern age of high powered offenses. Wish him well and hope he has a long leash to put his style of football on display. This is the guy who keep Trevor Lawrence off balance by reworking his defensive guys into an unbelievable combination. Bear in mind Tilpit played hurt most of this season. The guys drafted by the NFL from LSU and Wisconsin are due to his efforts.

Irse

Post by Irse »

A former UH coach gets a P5 head coaching job and no mention in the newspaper. [-X
ImageImage

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

johnny wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:42 pm Dave should have stayed at LSU Bear in mind
Ogeron is quoted as saying Joe Burrow knew more football than all the football guys at his first meeting at LSU. I bet Coach Aranda knew more football as well. God blessed both Hawaii and LSU when they were landed with the unlikely instrument of His destruction. Defense wins championships.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Just realized that Dave Aranda:
- Was a GA under Mike Leach at Texas Tech
- While at Texas Tech he worked along side WR coach Art Briles
- The DC at Texas Tech was Coach McMakin
- He left Texas Tech to be the LB coach at Houston under HC Art Briles.
- Their first year at Houston, they play Hawaii in the Hawaii Bowl in the game that ended with the massive brawl

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

johnny wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:42 pm Dave should have stayed at LSU ; He was the highest paid DC @2.5 Million. Ed O loved him and would do anything to keep him happy. I know the temptation of a Head Coaching gig is huge but still why Baylor? This is the Big 12 conference where offense is king. Outside of TCU nobody plays defense. Not saying he will fail but this conference is brutal for a defensive minded head coach. Hope he is the exception since he was one of the few defensive gurus in this modern age of high powered offenses. Wish him well and hope he has a long leash to put his style of football on display. This is the guy who keep Trevor Lawrence off balance by reworking his defensive guys into an unbelievable combination. Bear in mind Tilpit played hurt most of this season. The guys drafted by the NFL from LSU and Wisconsin are due to his efforts.
Oklahoma and Texas both have monster defenses. What are you talking about? It's a moot point and I'm sorry for calling you out on it...but it's just the way I see things. Baylor was a top ten team that had no defense. It makes sense to me.

Good luck Dave. You were always my favorite at Hawaii. I rated him higher than Smith, Rolo, and even McMackin.

Irse

Post by Irse »

SundayJam wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:56 am

Good luck Dave. You were always my favorite at Hawaii. I rated him higher than Smith, Rolo, and even McMackin.
Me too. Besides JJ, I thought Dave was the smartest and best coach we've had.

I remember us playing Navy one year and they were running the ball on everyone, he came up with a scheme to stop them and it worked.
ImageImage

johnny
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by johnny »

Sunday Jam

By my math the Big 12 has 10 teams. Texas, Oklahoma and TCU play defense = 3 defense 7 offense. Seems like your own statement supports my claim that the Big 12 is more offense than defense. Bear in mind that we are saying the same thoughts: Dave is a great coach. My perspective is will he have the support for the long term to build a great defense? He already is trying to flip a LSU commit for 2021.

BigWave96744

Re: *** Official Dave Aranda Thread ***

Post by BigWave96744 »

Baylor Football Coach Dave Aranda’s Bizarre Approach To Practice Leaves His Team Exposed And Unprepared
Story by Grayson Weir • 1w

Dave Aranda took over as head coach of Baylor football four years ago. His short tenure with the program been a whirlwind and his approach to practice may play a big role.

Aranda does not give his young players an opportunity to develop while giving priority to 1s and 2s.

After a slow, unusual start, Aranda led Baylor to a 12-2 season with a Sugar Bowl win over a very talented Ole Miss team in 2021. There was all kinds of buzz around what the team could become.
It was an immediate upward trajectory that came crashing down with a 6-7 season and bowl loss in 2022. The Bears are 3-6 through the first nine games of 2023. Not ideal.

Dave Aranda was considered to be one of the rising superstars in the industry. His recent record and a new story from former tight end Christoph Henle might explain why that is quickly becoming a lost narrative.

From another source:

Team period at practice is where the 1’s run Baylor’s offense and face the 2’s who run opponent’s defense. The same goes for the other side of the ball.

There is no true scout team. 2’s do not run Baylor’s scheme. Half the team stands on the sideline.

— Drake C. Toll
NFL teams run practices with similar structure. However, creates a clear issue on the college football level.

Young athletes don’t get any reps until they are listed first or second on the depth chart. There is no opportunity for them to develop.

To make things worse, if a first-team defensive player gets injured during a game, his replacement spent the entire week running the opponent’s system. He didn’t get any reps in Aranda’s scheme.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... r-AA1jBSKt

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: *** Official Dave Aranda Thread ***

Post by SundayJam »

Dang...harsh criticism for a recent SEC National and Baylor Sugar Bowl Champion!!! Just how many Sugar Bowls have the Baylor Bears won? How many has Hawaii played? Answer: one. Oh, he was also responsible for an MWC championship for Hawaii. I Seriously doubt the Bears would let Aranda go after this season. He is a young head coach with successes at: Texas A&M, Hawaii, Utah St., Wisconsin, LSU, and Baylor.