*** Official Dave Aranda Thread ***

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Does anyone else think...

Post by SundayJam »

Broseph12 wrote:I don't understand some of our "fans"... it sounds like some of you hate Chow so much that you are rooting for Aranda to beat our Warriors. Aranda is a great coach, but he has moved on to bigger and better things (and besides, how do you guys know we would have been able to retain him? Coaches like that don't stay around mid majors too long and not to mention he's making more than he ever would coaching here). Should he have kept Aranda?... probably. Doesn't mean you hope for our team to fail against them.
I'm a fan of our opponents as much as I'm a fan of Hawaii football. Aranda is a pretty humble guy from everything that I've ever read about him. McMackin gave him his first big break at Hawaii, but in an interview for Wisconsin he credited Utah State and Gary Andersen for giving him a shot when no one else wanted him. So, yeah, I'd say Norm Chow pretty much whiffed that coach non-retention decision. When a Hawaii opponent has Hawaiian roots, I'm even more interested. I'm not gonna root for Wisconsin, but I'll be in awe of the craftsmanship and talent.

And I do expect to be in awe. I watched most of the Alabama/Wisconsin game. Some break-away runs by a monster running back sealed the deal for the Tide. As far as I can tell, we don't have monster running backs. Alabama scores in that game: 37 yard run by Derrick Henry, 17 yard pass, 56 yard run by Henry, 2 yard Henry run, and Drake 43 yard run. Oh, and Wisconsin's defensive leader suffered a concussion in the first half of that game.

I don't like Chow's coaching style and I didn't like his first two choices for offensive and defensive coordinator. I do like what I see of his 3rd (4th?) choices for offensive and defensive coordinator.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

The last time Hawaii played Wisconsin in December 5th, 2009... Its was a home game at Aloha Stadium and McMackin was the head coach. And the score was Wisconsin 51 Hawaii 10. The Wisconsin QB Scott Tolzien threw for 269 yards and the big O-line and stable of RB's rushed for 301 yards for a total of 554 yards of offense that game. Wisconsin had the ball for 22 minutes while Hawaii had the ball for 13 minutes and Wisconsin had 26 first downs and Hawaii 14 first downs. Hawaii had Bryant Moniz, Greg Salas, Pillares, Alex Green on offense and only put up 3 points until it was garbage time in the 4th quarter with the game already over Wisconsin 37- Hawaii-3 with around 5 minutes left in the game Hawaii scored a TD to get to 10 points. Losing by 41 points!

I know both teams have different head coaches and different players but recent history has shown that Hawaii has a uphill battle just to keep the game from not being blowout loss. Of course, every team has a chance to win, just like everybody that gambles has a chance to win the lottery. But the odds are stacked against you winning the lottery and the Hawaii Football Team against beating Wisconsin and Boise State this season.

Was Dave Arranda the Hawaii Defensive Coordinator for the 2009 season?

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

WarriorTyme wrote:The last time Hawaii played Wisconsin in December 5th, 2009... Its was a home game at Aloha Stadium and McMackin was the head coach. And the score was Wisconsin 51 Hawaii 10. The Wisconsin QB Scott Tolzien threw for 269 yards and the big O-line and stable of RB's rushed for 301 yards for a total of 554 yards of offense that game. Wisconsin had the ball for 22 minutes while Hawaii had the ball for 13 minutes and Wisconsin had 26 first downs and Hawaii 14 first downs. Hawaii had Bryant Moniz, Greg Salas, Pillares, Alex Green on offense and only put up 3 points until it was garbage time in the 4th quarter with the game already over Wisconsin 37- Hawaii-3 with around 5 minutes left in the game Hawaii scored a TD to get to 10 points. Losing by 41 points!

I know both teams have different head coaches and different players but recent history has shown that Hawaii has a uphill battle just to keep the game from not being blowout loss. Of course, every team has a chance to win, just like everybody that gambles has a chance to win the lottery. But the odds are stacked against you winning the lottery and the Hawaii Football Team against beating Wisconsin and Boise State this season.

Was Dave Arranda the Hawaii Defensive Coordinator for the 2009 season?
Not that year. Dave's inaugural year at Hawaii as DC was 2010.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Broseph12 wrote:I don't understand some of our "fans"... it sounds like some of you hate Chow so much that you are rooting for Aranda to beat our Warriors. Aranda is a great coach, but he has moved on to bigger and better things (and besides, how do you guys know we would have been able to retain him? Coaches like that don't stay around mid majors too long and not to mention he's making more than he ever would coaching here). Should he have kept Aranda?... probably. Doesn't mean you hope for our team to fail against them.

We have a guy that wanted to come back home to coach. He's born and raised here and things are starting to come together... shouldn't we be backing him up instead of wanting him to fail?

A little late but on a side note... can anyone tell me how that "chinese conspiracy" comment is not racist?
I'm part Chinese, and damn proud of it. And I also made a comment in that thread. My opinion - the thread was humorous. People get so PC nowadays. Sheesh. And for the record, I'm not rooting for Aranda. I'm rooting for the Warriors this Saturday. But I still don't like Chow.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

The area I'm most interested in, is to see if our Offense can move the ball against a solid defense and get into the red zone... and, maybe, even score. NOT by having the defense create a turover in the redzone... but can they make first downs? Move the chain from their own side of the field to the other side on their own? If they can do that at least twice, I'd be really encouraged.

BigAppleBucky
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by BigAppleBucky »

Egonator wrote:Does anyone else think that we have a chance at beating Wisconsin? I have some reasons as to why we have a chance this Saturday...
1.) Wisconsin can be contained. Wisconsin likes to run. Their first string running back is hurt. If UH can limit the run game it will put pressure on Joel Stave who does not do well on 3rd and long situations.
2.) Hawaii now has 2 solid running backs. If UH can use the run to set up the pass, it will put less pressure on Wittek.
3.) Wisconsins defense has a hard time with the spread offense. Since most big 10 schools run the ball, their defense is not used to teams who spread the field.
4.) Wisconsins offensive line is weak...it's been a problem that head coach Paul Chryst has talked about on numerous occasions. If Guys like Luke or Kennedy go into the game prepared, they can stop the run and rush the quarterback.
5.) Wisconsins streak will come to an end eventually. Since 2003, Wisconsin has not lost to a non BIG 10 School at home. That streak has to end eventually right?
Joel Stave, version 2015 is not the Stave of 2014. He's been making plays this season. He has a respectable QBR of 150 with 6 TDs and 2 Ints. The team has passed for over 700 yards and rushed for around 400.

You certainly are correct that the Wisconsin running game is no where near as good as it was last season. The offensive line is inexperienced and injured. Until the week before the Alabama game the starting 5 had never been able to practice together. Since then a starter has been replaced (Micah Kapoi from Kapolei replaced Walker Williams) which is very rare for Wisconsin. Usually we have a bunch of experienced guys who've played 15 or 30 games together. Not this season. Missing Clement and our best RB recruit who could not qualify academically, has hurt the talent level and depth at RB. The starting RB on Saturday was a DB in fall camp last year.

Actually, the Wisconsin defense has been redone to deal more with spread offenses. Smaller and quicker guys all around. Last year that defense held up really well when there weren't two of three starting linemen injured. Toward the end of the season we played Nebraska, Iowa and Minnesota to close out the regular season. All power rushing teams. We got so beat up that Ohio State just killed us in the championship game. Miami of Ohio used a spread offense to no avail two weeks ago.

Hawaii does get a break because the nickel defensive back will be required to sit out the first half due to a targeting penalty incurred against Troy.

In 2003 UNLV was a 20 point, or more dog and beat us. Not only won the game, but won by a big margin, 23-5. The game was played in the rain and fog and a bunch of strange things happened.

Edit in bold

Broseph12
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Broseph12 »

@my3cats...

i don't think people are too PC... I just don't think people are as afraid now days to say how they truly feel.

All you had to do was end with the humerous explanation and that would have answered my question just fine. And before you "sheesh" anyone let me ask you this... Would you have made the same type of comments if our coach and ad were say African-American? Just sayin'.

On a side note I don't normally post on forums... I read them to get info on the team, players, etc. I started posting because in general the number of negative opinions of the coaches and team seem to outweigh the positive ones. (although lately there has been a BIG increase in the number of positive fans voicing their opinions... Which I think is good) As for the game, if uh is willing to open the playbook in a non conference game, they have an uphill shot at winning. That Troy outcome (28-3) gives me a little more hope for the upset...

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Thank you BigAppleBucky for the informed contributions. Your loss of offensive linemen is almost as bad as the Warriors in 2011. The exception being we didn't have blue chip back ups at every position.

I look forward to a strong defensive matchup on both sides of the ball. Offensively....we'll see. Both quarterbacks look promising. There are an awful lot of injuries to star Hawaii receivers though.

BigAppleBucky
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Pure Bwa

Post by BigAppleBucky »

Have fun:
http://www.badgerpreview.com/2015/09/hawaii.html

The talk of Stave as a Heisman candidate is TIC. This is because the Heisman has become a quarterback only award. Even a running back like Melvin Gordon, who set the all time YPC record for a career and season and had the second highest season yards rush in NCAA history couldn't win, no non-QB can win.

or
http://buckyville.yuku.com/topic/81978/ ... ampionship

BTW, Piper is a Minnesota poster we like to tease. PIPERBOT is a shot at him.

You may have read Clement will be out another 4 to 6 weeks, or longer.

EDIT - Just in case anyone from this board is in Madtown:
http://buckyville.yuku.com/topic/81880/ ... mp-Randall
Last edited by BigAppleBucky on Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Looking at the stats we have a chance.

We do have to win the turnover battle, worse case..don't turn it over.

Their pass D did shut down Miami of Ohio but didn't do as well against Alabama and Troy. We will be able to pass on them. And we will be dangerous if we can get into play action situations. We have a clear size advantage over 5'11 and 5'9 corners. Wittek will be throwing high to put the ball where only our guys can get to it and exploit this height advantage. I am not sure what kind of D Wisconsin plays but it looks like 3 DBs and more line backers. They list one safety (former QB) at 6'6, 230lbs.....more like a LB or rover.

Wisconsin isn't running the ball as as well as past years. Translation to me: We have to stop the run game and force them to pass the ball. Our strength on D is our DBs. This is the best core group we have had in a long time. Long with speed and with depth. We will have take aways if we force them to pass.

CoconutKid
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by CoconutKid »

I don't think we do. Wisconsin will play power football. We simply can't match that for an hour. Matt Millen commented that OSU should have simply played BT football and ran the ball down our throats. I think that's exactly what Wisconsin will try to do. Perhaps if we had 5 Kennedy Tulimasealiis on our dline...

Yeah, I know that Corey Clement is out, and there is no Melvin Gordon type of runner waiting in the wings.

And Joe Stave has been very good this year, so stacking the box is a risk.

I'll wear my lucky Warriors caps and pray for some luck...

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

With Wisconsin's leading rusher, Clements, out for the game, this puts a bit of a new spin on the game. Wisconsin's ground game has been slightly over 66% of last season. Uncharacteristically, they've been gaining more through the air than on the ground this season. The loss of Trayvon Henderson hurts Hawaii's defense on this one, but there are ample backs that can cover for him, so, this could turn out interesting on Defense. Hawaii might be able to contain Wisconsin's Offense. BUT, can OUR Offense move the chains? That's the big question -- and, really, where I think many fans have been disappointed with Warrior football as of late.

Going to need some luck or breaking opportunities early on in the game ... some turnovers in our favor that lead to some early points.

BigAppleBucky
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by BigAppleBucky »

madeinhawaii wrote:With Wisconsin's leading rusher, Clement . . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=61&v=J95XhgbnNR4

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I am hoping for rain and fog and weird things happening.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I'm more worried about special teams. We can't afford to make the kinds of mistakes we have so far.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: