*** Official Dave Aranda Thread ***

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
BigWave96744

Re: Does anyone else think...

Post by BigWave96744 »

UH should mimic Tulsa's win over Hawaii in the 2010 Hawaii Bowl. Aranda couldn't figure them out

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

BigWave96744 wrote:UH should mimic Tulsa's win over Hawaii in the 2010 Hawaii Bowl. Aranda couldn't figure them out
So...you question Aranda's ability, but Hawaii's rivals and top 25 teams disagree with your assessment?

Aranda did figure out a lot of other teams that year. We were Nevada's only loss that year...and that was due largely to our defensive effort. He did such a great job for us, Utah State hired him as their defensive coordinator and Andersen took him along to Wisconsin. Wisconsin's new coach didn't kick him to the curb when Andersen left last year.

I'm looking forward to a lot of great things happening on the road this week, but winning isn't one of them. This defensive line of ours is just amazing among other things. However, I wouldn't be surprised by another shut out.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Egonator wrote:Does anyone else think that we have a chance at beating Wisconsin? I have some reasons as to why we have a chance this Saturday...
1.) Wisconsin can be contained. Wisconsin likes to run. Their first string running back is hurt. If UH can limit the run game it will put pressure on Joel Stave who does not do well on 3rd and long situations.
2.) Hawaii now has 2 solid running backs. If UH can use the run to set up the pass, it will put less pressure on Wittek.
3.) Wisconsins defense has a hard time with the spread offense. Since most big 10 schools run the ball, their defense is not used to teams who spread the field.
4.) Wisconsins offensive line is weak...it's been a problem that head coach Paul Chryst has talked about on numerous occasions. If Guys like Luke or Kennedy go into the game prepared, they can stop the run and rush the quarterback.
5.) Wisconsins streak will come to an end eventually. Since 2003, Wisconsin has beaten a non BIG 10 School at home. That streak has to end eventually right?
Issue with point 3 as UH doesn’t run a true spread.

Any game is winnable, but it takes execution, limited mistakes/turnovers and big plays to win. I am hopeful that the OC will open the O more and NC (aka Grinch) will remove the leash. As far as the D, the LBs need to be better at recognizing the run play, fill gaps, shed blocks and tackle well. These Big 10 RBs won't be tackled with arm tackles and lunging tackles. Hoping Warriors can pull off an upset.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

Manoa
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Manoa »

Big 10 teams run the spread offense as much as in any league. Ohio State, Indiana, Northwestern, Illinois are the purest spread offense teams, but others mix spread and pro style- Michigan State, and Nebraska are examples. And it varies year by year as teams switch back and forth with coaching changes. So Wisconsin has to play against spread offense teams.

The recipe for winning has to be our ability to stop the run enough to force passing situations where we can attack the quarterback which is one of our strengths using our stunts and blitzes. If Wisconsin can run, then our chances drop greatly. Our pass defense is way better than our run defense which not very good. On offense, we need to be able to run enough to keep Arranda's attacking D from getting after Wittek in too many forced passing situations like third and long. This is a big challenge which will require our offensive line both block for the run and block for the pass.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

Dave Aranda will have a point of contention to prove this Saturday, relating to not being retained by Coach Chow. His Badger defense will be prepared for the Warriors. He also has Coach Daronte Jones, their defensive back coach to assist him in preparing their defensive strategy.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote:Dave Aranda will have a point of contention to prove this Saturday, relating to not being retained by Coach Chow. His Badger defense will be prepared for the Warriors. He also has Coach Daronte Jones, their defensive back coach to assist him in preparing their defensive strategy.
I dunno. I never sensed anything in Dave's character when he was here that would hold any grudge like that. Moving on from UH has led to substantial career advancement and professional development. He is a professional - I expect Wisconsin's defense to be prepared as it should be for every game. As for Daronte, he knows a bit about our personnel but the schemes have changed, so I think he'd be focused more on what we do than who we have.

Egonator
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: Brewers/Rays
NBA: Jazz/Timberwolves
NFL: Vikings/Bills

Post by Egonator »

I did not know that those teams run the spread offense...my bad. I always thought of the BIG 10 as big, physical football players who run the ball 50 times a game but I guess the spread has become popular in College Football over the past 10 years... On Wisconsin's website, it states that Paul Chryst runs the pro style offense... even Wisconsin is opening up the field!

Yes, Hawaii does not run a "true," spread offense. Their running game involves blocking schemes relating to the pro style offense (especially the 2yd Runs up the middle) but Hawaii does open up the field more than teams who run other schemes such as the triple option or smash mouth.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

SundayJam wrote:
BigWave96744 wrote:UH should mimic Tulsa's win over Hawaii in the 2010 Hawaii Bowl. Aranda couldn't figure them out
So...you question Aranda's ability, but Hawaii's rivals and top 25 teams disagree with your assessment?

Aranda did figure out a lot of other teams that year. We were Nevada's only loss that year...and that was due largely to our defensive effort. He did such a great job for us, Utah State hired him as their defensive coordinator and Andersen took him along to Wisconsin. Wisconsin's new coach didn't kick him to the curb when Andersen left last year.

I'm looking forward to a lot of great things happening on the road this week, but winning isn't one of them. This defensive line of ours is just amazing among other things. However, I wouldn't be surprised by another shut out.
Do we have a Damaris Johnson? I believe that he was the X Factor on offense that led Tulsa to victory in that Hawaii Bowl.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

Duster wrote:
wailukuwarriorfan wrote:Dave Aranda will have a point of contention to prove this Saturday, relating to not being retained by Coach Chow. His Badger defense will be prepared for the Warriors. He also has Coach Daronte Jones, their defensive back coach to assist him in preparing their defensive strategy.
I dunno. I never sensed anything in Dave's character when he was here that would hold any grudge like that. Moving on from UH has led to substantial career advancement and professional development. He is a professional - I expect Wisconsin's defense to be prepared as it should be for every game. As for Daronte, he knows a bit about our personnel but the schemes have changed, so I think he'd be focused more on what we do than who we have.
I'm not attacking Dave Aranda's character, not at all. But he was not retained to coach at UH by Norm Chow. I'm not saying he holds a grudge either, just a point of contention to prove. He has developed professionally and is now a DC at Wisconsin, with a successful professional coaching resume. Having Daronte Jones as an Assistant Coach to help him scheme their defensive strategy is a definite advantage as Daronte knows our players and their capabilities well.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

How many points in total have teams scored against Wisconsin this year?
Lemme see..
Alabama beat them and scored 37
Miami Ohio lost to them and scored 0
Troy also lost to them and scored 3
... I think they fixed what was wrong with their defense after the Alabama game...

How did they do on offense?
17, 58, 28 = 34 points per game
Their offense is still not all that impressive... but, they don't go scoreless.

I think our Warriors might be able to hold them slightly below 34....but I don't think our offense will get all that many points on the road at Camp Randal Stadium surrounded by a sea of red.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

Sorry BW, I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. I think the 62 points scored had a lot more to do with the 5 interceptions Hawaii threw against the, "worst passing defense in the nation!", than Aranda's defense.
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

Broseph12
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Broseph12 »

I don't understand some of our "fans"... it sounds like some of you hate Chow so much that you are rooting for Aranda to beat our Warriors. Aranda is a great coach, but he has moved on to bigger and better things (and besides, how do you guys know we would have been able to retain him? Coaches like that don't stay around mid majors too long and not to mention he's making more than he ever would coaching here). Should he have kept Aranda?... probably. Doesn't mean you hope for our team to fail against them.

We have a guy that wanted to come back home to coach. He's born and raised here and things are starting to come together... shouldn't we be backing him up instead of wanting him to fail?

A little late but on a side note... can anyone tell me how that "chinese conspiracy" comment is not racist?

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

there's always a chance, but it is very unlikely. Our offense has to prove that it can consistently move the ball against a legit FBS defense, and it has yet to do so. But, you never know...

I also think that you should put the whole question into the subject line. I don't like these cutesy half-questions as subjects, but that's just me...

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

There is always a chance. What do we have going against us? They do have better talent and they have 5 time zones. Winning at a 5 time zone advantage is VERY DIFFICULT.

Wisconsin's backup RB is a backup RB for wisconsin. Translation there will not be that much of a drop off.

How can we win? We need to take care of the ball and Wisconsin needs to turn it over. The D needs to play the way it has been. We cannot give up big plays. Our WR need to beat man coverage. If they can beat man coverage Wittek will complete the passes. And three the WRs cannot drop the ball. They have to make plays.

We can win if we can execute the above.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Broseph12 wrote:I don't understand some of our "fans"... it sounds like some of you hate Chow so much that you are rooting for Aranda to beat our Warriors. Aranda is a great coach, but he has moved on to bigger and better things (and besides, how do you guys know we would have been able to retain him? Coaches like that don't stay around mid majors too long and not to mention he's making more than he ever would coaching here). Should he have kept Aranda?... probably. Doesn't mean you hope for our team to fail against them.

We have a guy that wanted to come back home to coach. He's born and raised here and things are starting to come together... shouldn't we be backing him up instead of wanting him to fail?

A little late but on a side note... can anyone tell me how that "chinese conspiracy" comment is not racist?
It has less to do about Aranda as it does with the football culture there in Wisconsin. Aranda being there is coincidental and his coaching roots to Hawaii make him a subject of conversation. BUT Wisconsin's football culture is so deep, so rich that every year, they are pretty much always discussed as being in the mix of things for the playoffs. That's the kind of talent they attract, the kind of depth they have we can only dream of .. the kind of team they will bring to the table with the right coach should be national contenders more often.

In 86, Hawaii surprised them with Al Noga leading the charge on defense. The next 5 times they dominated. I saw them the last time they were here, and they threw around our linemen like they were men toying with boys. I thought they were on steroids. On the road, I find it difficult to believe we stand a chance. I anticipate a very decent performance by our Warriors through the first half, but a win? the percentage of doing that is extremely low. If we had won more than half of our games last season and were returning our QB and half the Offensive line and weapons, I'd be more optimistic.

As for Chow wanting to come home? I don't buy that. He wanted to be head coach before retiring. His wife is still up in California. He's here just temporary.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com