Field Turf and Lymphoma

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
browndog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Field Turf and Lymphoma

Post by browndog »

Not sure if anyone posted something about this already.

I was listening to ESPN 30 for 30 and there was a story on how the rubber beads on field turf may be linked to lymphoma, especially in kids.
The highest risk apparently may be soccer goalies because of time they spend on ground, diving, rolling.
Suspicion is that these carcinogenic beads (recycled tires) enters the body through cuts, inhalation, etc and causes lymphoma.

Eric Berry, chiefs safety, developed lymphoma as did some kid (RB) who plays for the university of pitt.

Pretty scary stuff since i believe aloha stadium has this. Not sure about Les Murakami stadium.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Field Turf and Lymphoma

Post by EITSwarrior »

Interesting. I went to St. Louis and the field there is field turf. Haven't been back on the field in years, but so far so good no lymphoma.

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

Speaking of field turf, the us women's soccer team just cancelled their gm at aloha stadium because the turf was ruled unsafe. Smh, such a shame and blown opportunity for the state! US player Alex Morgan was even quoted saying their practice field (Which was at UH) was horrible.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

reignjah11 wrote:Speaking of field turf, the us women's soccer team just cancelled their gm at aloha stadium because the turf was ruled unsafe. Smh, such a shame and blown opportunity for the state! US player Alex Morgan was even quoted saying their practice field (Which was at UH) was horrible.
Not surprised a bit. I remember a few years ago when there was that men's tournament at Aloha Stadium and the players then said the field was bad. Guess what, they haven't been back since. And earlier this year and last before the Women's World Cup, the players, not just the US team, were mad that they had to play on artificial turf while the men got to play on natural grass. So to hear they cancelled was not surprising. What was even more surprising was that they even scheduled this game at Aloha Stadium in the first place.

In a way I'm glad, because this gives a swift kick to the egos in the state legislature and the stadium authority that they can't half-okole things with Aloha Stadium anymore. I have a much longer rant on that subject that I believe I wrote somewhere else in this site, or maybe it was another one. I won't share it here though.

browndog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by browndog »

reignjah11 wrote:Speaking of field turf, the us women's soccer team just cancelled their gm at aloha stadium because the turf was ruled unsafe. Smh, such a shame and blown opportunity for the state! US player Alex Morgan was even quoted saying their practice field (Which was at UH) was horrible.

Why didn't the soccer send reps ahead of time to check out field BEFORE the state started selling $78 tickets to 25,000 people??????
Auwe.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

browndog wrote:

Why didn't the soccer send reps ahead of time to check out field BEFORE the state started selling $78 tickets to 25,000 people??????
Auwe.
Yep. That is what I was thinking.
ImageImage

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

browndog wrote:

Auwe.
True and a good question. Here's a better one, why doesn't the stadium authority have its poop together? Cause they and the state are incompetent.

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

Apparently the turf lymphoma connection is at this point just a group of chemophobes looking to blame some chemicals. There is a common mistake in thinking called the Texas Sharp shooter fallacy where people notice a group of diseases (or something else) but usually cancer and then claim that it must be due to something in the environment of those patients when it is just due to normal non uniform distribution of cases. For instance if you flip a coin there is a 50% chance it will be heads but if you get 5 heads in a row then claim that is due to chemicals in the environment or anything else other than random chance then you have fallen for the Texas Sharp shooter fallacy.
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller