Galdeira to Forego Final Season, Turn Pro

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

Great Read!

PULLMAN, Wash. – Washington State University women’s basketball player Lia Galdeira has decided to forego her final season of eligibility and pursue professional opportunities in Europe, it was announced Friday. Galdeira has signed a contract with sports agent Elmirea Draskicevic and will begin her professional career this fall.

“I’d like to thank Washington State University for allowing me to be a part of the Cougar family, it has been an honor to represent the women’s basketball program,” said Galdeira. “I am very thankful and blessed for being a part of such an amazing program and playing for one of the most respected and down to earth coaches, June Daugherty, and her staff.

“I have made the decision to pursue my lifelong dream and play professionally, this year in Europe and then in the WNBA,” Galdeira continued. “To all the Cougar fans, your support has been very much appreciated by me and my teammates. Please continue to support them, as I will. Go Cougs!”

Galdeira led the Cougars to their second-straight postseason appearance last season as she averaged 20.0 ppg, second in the Pac-12 Conference and 25th nationally. She led the Pac-12 and tied for fifth in the country with 105 steals, second-most in WSU single-season history, while also recording 6.1 rpg and a team-best 83 assists en route to her second-straight All-Pac-12 First Team selection.

"Lia has made the decision after much contemplation to pursue her professional basketball career overseas,” said WSU Head Coach June Daugherty. “She has had a record-setting and great career as a member of the Cougar women's basketball family and now feels it is time to take her talents to the next level. It has been a pleasure to coach her. We thank her and wish her much success and happiness as a professional player."

In her three seasons in a Cougar uniform, Galdeira ranks second in career scoring (1,710 points), three-point field goals made (160), field goals made (621) and steals (271), first in three-point field goal attempts (576) and total field goals attempts (1,645), fourth in free throws made (308) and fifth in free throws attempted (432). She was a three-time All-Pac-12 player and a three-time All-Pac-12 Defensive Team honoree.

Last season Galdeira scored 20-plus points 18 times, second-most in WSU single-season history, and notched three 30-point games. She was at her best against ranked teams, as she had 21 points and eight boards in a season-opening win over No. 22 Dayton, 14 points and six rebounds against No. 16 Nebraska, and a game-high 33 points, five rebounds and three steals in an upset-win over No. 8 Maryland at the San Juan Shootout in Puerto Rico.

--wsucougars.com--

Bill Stevens ‘87

Associate Director of Athletics

Athletic Communications

Washington State University

195 Bohler Athletic Complex

Pullman, WA 99164
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com