Broken Bats during World Series

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
cousin
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Broken Bats during World Series

Post by cousin »

Well, I thought it was an enjoyable series, although I can understand opinions to the contrary. Great defense, not a ton of hitting, and fantastic pitching, especially by Bumgarner of SF, who was the winning pitcher in THREE games. (I think I heard he's the only pitcher to have ever done that, but I'm not completely sure.)

I have never in my life seen so many bats break like they did in this series. By both teams.

When I was a kid we learned to bat keeping the brand or label up, that is, facing up when you held the bat over the plate. The bat mfgs placed the label so that the strongest part of the wood grain made contact with the ball. Bats didn't break too often, and we kept the brand up because we didn't have money to keep buying new bats. Also, if you had a favorite bat, it was hard to find an identical replacement for it if it broke. Happened, natch.

Bats have continually changed over time. What's the deal with the breakable bats they're using now?

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Re: Broken Bats during World Series

Post by 808Hawaii »

When we grew up using wood bats, the bats were made of white ash. When bats broke, they'd crack at the handle. But now days, bats are made of maple. These are the ones that shatter.
I am the one who knocks.

cousin
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by cousin »

Thanks for the answer, 808. Still seems strange they'd use wood that broke like that.

JWarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NFL: Atlanta Falcons

Post by JWarrior »

Just glad they don't use balsa! Mahalo for the info 808.
ImageImageImage

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

8)
I am the one who knocks.