Greg McElroy, Sr.

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
warrioram
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
MLB: Seattle Mariners
NFL: Los Angeles Rams

Greg McElroy, Sr.

Post by warrioram »

Just heard an interesting fact during the Alabama/Texas game. The Alabama QB is the son of former UH lineman Greg McElroy, Sr ('77-'78).

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 74de1.html

Do you remember him?

PuaLane
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Re: Greg McElroy, Sr.

Post by PuaLane »

Greg McElroy Sr was a starting offensive guard under Dick Tomey in 77 &78. He was a JC transfer from California. Not very big by today's standards, around 6.2 230 lbs, but he was a good, steady player. Teamed up with Punahou grad Jack Wright at the other guard who was around 6.0 220 lbs or so. Greg senior, as mentioned in the article, met his wife at UH.

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

Congrats to their family. Glad to see people with UH ties do well.

Habu
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Habu »

I was watching the game yesterday and saw that as well. I think I was in the same class with him & Jeff Duva.

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Post by Haynr8dr »

Yeah, I just learned this on the news tonight myself - very interesting.

OldBamaGuy
All-American
All-American

Post by OldBamaGuy »

Sr. is famous as the ultimate party animal / salesman across the NFL, NHL and MLB. Hawai'i taught him well!!! (Wish I could still go to work in the morning after entertaining clients into the wee hours!)
ROLL TIDE - GO WARRIORS - ALL BLACKS

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

OldBamaGuy,

That comment about a sweet job struck a chord.

Twenty or so years ago,one of my co-workers left for a public relations job with an oil company in Texas. I heard from him about a year after he left. He said he loved his job....he said he basically got paid to play golf with clients for about 70K a year..mind you,this was 70K back in the Eighties!

OldBamaGuy
All-American
All-American

Post by OldBamaGuy »

For sure - I think a lot of us have run into the golf pro posing as a corporate VP. However, a friend of mine who is an exec with the NHL tells me Greg Sr is equally formidable in the office or in the social setting (bar, golf course - take your pick).

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

When we played Alabama in 2006, there was a lot about the McElroy's connection to UH. Here's one article.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/artic ... 80350.html

I met Greg Jr. during my trip to Tuscaloosa in 2006 when he was redshirting as a freshman. He was a nice young man who knew all about UH and was very complimentary about UH.

OldBamaGuy
All-American
All-American

Post by OldBamaGuy »

uhwarriors wrote:When we played Alabama in 2006, there was a lot about the McElroy's connection to UH. Here's one article.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/artic ... 80350.html

I met Greg Jr. during my trip to Tuscaloosa in 2006 when he was redshirting as a freshman. He was a nice young man who knew all about UH and was very complimentary about UH.
There was a rumor that Hawai'i was his safety school for football but I'd have a hard time tracing it at this point. Given his grades I would be surprised if a couple of Ivies or Stanford weren't on his list. Not unlike Drew Brees who was headed to Yale before Purdue knocked on his door at the last minute.