Little League -vs- Cal Ripken

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
prideperiod
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Little League -vs- Cal Ripken

Post by prideperiod »

We had a local team of twelve year olds that won the world championship in the Cal Ripken World series. And now we have a 11/12 year old team from Ewa who is playing in the Semis of the Little League world series.

But it seems to me that the LL team gets all of the press, and Cal Ripken team was kind of put on the back of the sports pages.

What is the difference between the two leagues. Is the LL WS really that much better, and hence all of the coverage from ESPN.

wayoutwest
Play Maker
Play Maker
MLB: Orioles

Post by wayoutwest »

little league is more established, has higher participation rate. i don't think the cal ripken league has been around for more than five years or so.

flipen
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Mariners
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Seahawks

Post by flipen »

One word: ESPN. :lol:

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

I don't know if Little League stress team work (ie everyone plays no matter what) while some of the other leagues (Cal Ripken, Babe Ruth, Pony, etc) are more competitive (ie the better players play get more playing time)....

This is not baseball but similar thinking:
A friend has kids that plays both soccer leagues in Hawaii (AYSO and HISA)... In the AYSO anyone who signs up gets placed on a team and plays, regardless of who their opponents are..
In HISA coaches hand pick the players they wish to invite on their team and some players play all game.. Plus the parents of the HISA kids must commit to having their kids travel off island and practices are more intense.

prideperiod
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by prideperiod »

Thanks for all of your input. I think that I have a better idea now how it works.

Gatorade
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by Gatorade »

Anyone know what happened to PAL Baseball?

Back in the day PAL baseball used to be “the league” in Hawaii baseball. Fielding teams from age 8-17. The little league wasn’t as big as it is now back then, with different rules starting from t-ball. Good players came out of the PAL leagues players E.G. Derek Tatsuno, Gerald Ako and Mosi Tatupu.

Both leagues had participation rules, little league required one inning and one at bat, PAL required two innings of playing time. Since then I haven’t heard of PAL baseball and Little League has grown into the worlds largest youth league baseball program. with 2.7 million participants in all 50 states and more than 80 other countries.

What I liked better in the PAL leagues, is that starting at a young age the base runners were allowed to steal bases, and at the bronco level 11-12 curve balls were allowed, little league doesn't. Both leagues had strict protocol concerning games pitched per week, with concern for injury. To allow runners to take a lead and stealing bases, allows the pitchers at a young age to work on pitching from the stretch and working on pick offs. Base runners learn at a young age to recognize weak tendencies of the pitchers, and to steal off. Catchers honed their skills on catching and release plus arm strength to second base and accuracy is also developed.

I think, the Little league’s world series is better because the teams, if they make it, competes amongst international teams while PAL competes just U.S.

I’m sure PAL is still around but haven’t heard much about it, every year teams starting at 11-12 would go up and compete in the west regional and if successful compete in the world series (US teams only). Hawaii has won championships in PAL.

DaGreat1
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by DaGreat1 »

Little League and Cal Ripken Baseball are very similar in how the game is played. Both have 60 ft. bases, 46 ft. pitching distance, and no leads for the base runner. Difference is in particpation rules, Little League you must play everybody (1 at bat, 3 defensive outs) were Cal Ripken has no restrictions on player participation. Cal Ripken has a rule were each team must have, correct me if I'm wrong, four 11-yr old players with the rest being 12-yr old players.

PAL baseball was revitalized 5-6 years ago. Not sure if the league is still in existence. Had teams from Moilili, Kalihi, Moanalua, etc. Cal Ripken baseball also made its debut back in 2001 and may have squeezed PAL for players. Back in the 70's PAL baseball was going strong. Hawaii did in fact win a national championship.

Little League is the oldest and most recognized organization for youth baseball. However, if you want to play the stiffest competition, USSSA Elite baseball is the tournament to play in. Teams are essentially travel teams who play year round baseball. Players usually tryout for spots on the team, annual fees are paid ($2000), many teams are sponsored by companies such as Mizuno, Easton, Rawlings, etc. USSSA also ranks each team on a national website. Checkout http://www.travelballselect.com, they have an all-american listing of players for various age groups 8-17 yrs. I'm sure some of the Ewa Beach kids would be on these lists if they participated. Several years ago, a friend's kid participated in one of these 11/12 yr old tournaments, and this Hawaii team knocked off some nationally ranked teams #2 Florida (Tampa), #4 Nebraska (Omaha), San Diego Stars.

AAU and CABA are also strong organizations. Hawaii 9-yr old CABA team won the national championship this summer. I believe Dunn Muramaru's son was with this group. It's good to see the local teams make a strong showing in these tournaments. Lucky we live in Paradise!

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

Are there any American Legion teams there in Hawaii? I know it's slightly off-topic since American Legion teams have high school kids but, still...

American Legion baseball is BIG back home. So is Babe Ruth baseball.

wayoutwest
Play Maker
Play Maker
MLB: Orioles

Post by wayoutwest »

yes, we have legion. typically for the local high school teams to play during the summer.

DaGreat1
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by DaGreat1 »

American Legion baseball is strong in Hawaii. The number of teams this year was down compared to past years. AAU ran a high school league this past summer which consisted of 15 teams. Kalani represented the state of Hawaii in the American Legion Regionals and they fell one game short of qualifying for the Amercian Legion National Tournament. Team was comprised of players from Kalani, Punahou, and Iolani. Nevada beat the Hawaii boys in the final.

Hawaii was also represented in the Babe Ruth World Series (13-15) by Punahou School. Majority of the players will be sophmores this coming school year. Team made it to the championship game and was beaten by Louisiana. Last year, this Hawaii team won the Babe Ruth 14U World Series.

noasark2x2
Starter
Starter
MLB: Braves
NFL: Ravens

Things I learned from a 7th grader yesterday

Post by noasark2x2 »

I am a teen director at a YMCA here and one of our boys Wilkins Kato played wit the team that won the Cal Ripken. One of my staff asked him if he was mad because they are World Champions and pretty much were put on the back burner. He also asked Wilkins if he thought that hi team could beat the Little League Team here was his reply:

No I am not mad in fact I hope that they win it all. The more times they are ESPN the more Hawaii Baseball get recognition. We are all just playing the game we love. I am mad at them for one thing though. Their tournament has allowed them to miss the begining of school and have a longer summer.

Could we beat them? Why would we want to. If they win it all then there would be 2 World Champs from 1 little island. If we played them then there would be only one and that is not so fun.

This from a 7th grader. Man I was blown away. How a 7th grader can have so much depth. he is really out there for the fun of the game. All I can say is coach trap if you are still around we need these boys at UH!!!
Let's Go Bows

prideperiod
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Kato's Remarks

Post by prideperiod »

noasark...thanks for sharing those remarks with us. Well, I guess Mr. Kato is a champion in more ways than one. Awesome.

noasark2x2
Starter
Starter
MLB: Braves
NFL: Ravens

Post by noasark2x2 »

I wish I could say I taught him that but let's not lie it is his parents that have raised him so well. I am just happy that I got to meet him and that he is a part of our progra and can be a positive friend to the others
Let's Go Bows

alfredalfred
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Little League -vs- Cal Ripken

Post by alfredalfred »

The more times they are ESPN the more Hawaii Baseball get recognition. We are all just playing the game we love. I am mad at them for one thing though. Their tournament has allowed them to miss the begining of school and have a longer summer????

leather jacket
Last edited by alfredalfred on Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Re: Little League -vs- Cal Ripken

Post by reignjah11 »

alfredalfred wrote:The more times they are ESPN the more Hawaii Baseball get recognition. We are all just playing the game we love. I am mad at them for one thing though. Their tournament has allowed them to miss the begining of school and have a longer summer????

== www.solitairechamp.biz ==
Not really LL fault though, with more schools goin to a year round schedule schools are starting earlier than they used to.