Nice article about Jason Elam and a little about Hawaii

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
fuzzylogic
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Nice article about Jason Elam and a little about Hawaii

Post by fuzzylogic »

http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/spor ... _0416.html

Falcons' Elam getting his kicks at home
Former Brookwood star returns after long career with Broncos

By THOMAS STINSON
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 04/16/08

Halfway around the world, kicking for a team no one ever saw, Jason Elam was stewing about a major college rule change. The field goal tee had been banned.

But by coincidence, not only was the NFL Pro Bowl coming to town, but the NFC team was going to work out at fields at the University of Hawaii, where Elam was a power-legged sophomore. Morten Andersen would be there.

Jason Elam (right, with punter Michael Koenen) was considered the best available free agent kicker by the Falcons.

"I kind of made my way through the crowd and asked him, 'Hey, I'm the kicker here at UH. You got any tips for me kicking off the ground?'?" Elam said.

"And he said, 'Well, you got your stuff with you? I'll stay out here and kick with you for a little while.' I mean, who does that? He stayed out for 45 minutes, missed the bus. He said, 'Forget about it. I'll take a cab.'?"

Thus began in 1990 Jason Elam's long trip home. Signed by Hawaii out of Brookwood High School — the team's offensive coordinator was a former Georgia Southern assistant named Paul Johnson who recruited him — Elam has finally come full circle. An eventual All-American at Hawaii, then one of the finest kickers in the NFL with Denver, he has come back to town with the Falcons, the team of his youth, 20 years after graduating from high school.

And who would he talk to Monday night about his first day at Falcons minicamp? Andersen, the Great Dane whose job he has taken, another torch passed between them.

"It's been awesome," he said. "I grew up a Falcons fan. I remember Tim Mazzetti and Mick Luckhurst, Steve Bartkowski and William Andrews, that whole group. This is a dream come true for me."

Since Jay Feely left town as a free agent in 2004, the Falcons have tried three kickers in the past three years, settling on Andersen the past two seasons as an option of last resort. Viewing last winter's crop of free agents — Rob Bironas, Josh Brown, Olindo Mare, among them — the Falcons considered Elam's consistency the past two seasons (54-for-60, .900) and determined his age (38) not so important.

"We looked at the list and we felt Jason is a guy who can kick the ball in pressure situations," coach Mike Smith said. "He's been very, very successful for a long time doing that. We felt as a staff he was the best option."

He agreed to kick for the staff — a tryout for a 15-year man — on March 20, without having touched a ball since the Broncos' season ended. His contract was ready the next day.

His leg doesn't act like it's 38. Despite the erratic weather conditions in Denver, Elam over the past five years kicked eight field goals of 50 yards or more in 14 tries (.571). In the same period, Atlanta has gone 2-for-11 (.182).

If anything, Elam has grown better as he approaches middle age. Some five years ago, he read Jack Nicklaus' estimation that during an average round 75 percent of his shots were mis-hit. The trick, he said, was controlling the 75 percent to go straight.

"The average kick for me, for any NFL kicker, is about 35 yards. So why does a 35-yard field goal have to go 50 yards?" Elam said. "I kind of switched some things around. I just wanted to be more controlled, and all of a sudden my percentage went way up.

"I think I'm coming off two of my better years. If I need the extra yardage, I just go back to my old style and bring a little more momentum to the ball. But usually, you don't need that."

Elam was one of the line of standout kickers to come out of the metro Atlanta area. Avondale's Kim Braswell, who still holds the national high school record for consecutive PATs (134), became an All-SEC kicker at Georgia (1970 season), as did Marietta's Rex Robinson three times (1978-80).

Kevin Butler (Redan High; UGA, 1981-84) became the first kicker admitted to the College Football Hall of Fame. Redan also produced Chris Gardocki, who handled punting and placements for Clemson (1988-90) before becoming a two-time All-Pro punter.

Now, Elam is back among them, the No. 5 all-time leading scorer among NFL kickers. His mother still lives in Snellville. His brother, who is in the military, was just re-stationed at Fort Gillem.

"It's a huge homecoming," Elam said. "All of a sudden, this stuff happens to me."