Good writeup on the Basketball team

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Good writeup on the Basketball team

Post by H20 »

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/artic ... sp07p.html
Newcomers try to learn system, earn playing time

By Dayton Morinaga
Advertiser Staff Writer

For starters, there are no starters on the University of Hawai'i men's basketball team.

After one week of practice, the Rainbow Warriors are still a long way from establishing an identity for the 2004-05 season.

One reason is because there are so many newcomers on this season's team. Of the 16 players currently on the roster, 10 are in their first season at UH (five scholarship recruits and five walk-ons).

"I'm not even thinking about a lineup right now," Hawai'i head coach Riley Wallace said. "I'm just thinking that I need to get everybody familiar with our offense and our defense before we can even start putting a lineup into place."

But another reason is because each position has several candidates battling for a starting spot.

"I would say every position has two or three guys who can start," said returnee Jeff Blackett, who is challenging for a starting forward spot. "We're all working hard and helping each other out, but we also know that it's a competition every day to become that guy who starts."

Here is a position-by-position look at the starting candidates:

Point guard

Candidates

Ht. Wt. Cl.

Kris Groce 5-10 140 So.

Deonte Tatum 6-3 165 Jr.

Rundown

Groce and Tatum are junior college transfers, and Wallace said it is crucial for them to be quick learners. "That's the one spot where we don't have any experience, so we need both those guys to learn our stuff," Wallace said. Groce is the better outside shooter, but Tatum is stronger and better at penetrating defenses. "It's just important for me to keep working hard, because I'm still learning every day," Tatum said. "As long as I keep working hard, the rest will take care of itself."

Early edge

Tatum's size and strength make him a better fit for now. What's more, Tatum has been a menacing defender through the first week of practice. Groce could fill the "energizer" role played by Jason Carter last season.

Shooting guard

Candidates

Matt Gibson 6-5 170 So.

Bobby Nash 6-6 190 So.

Jake Sottos 6-4 180 Sr.

Rundown

The shooting guard spot has often been the showcase position of Wallace's teams. Chris Gaines, Phil Lott, Trevor Ruffin, Alika Smith, Predrag Savovic, Carl English, and Michael Kuebler all flourished in the system. Who's next in line? "The years we didn't have a shooter were the years we weren't good," Wallace said. "We'll need somebody to step up, and all those guys are capable. They can all shoot it; it's a matter of being consistent and doing other things." Nash and Sottos were reserves last season, but both came back stronger this season. In the first week of practice, both players have been impressive from 3-point range. Gibson is a high-scoring junior college transfer and a fiery competitor.

Early edge

Nash clearly put in extra work during the summer, and he looks to be the most improved player from last season. Gibson has superstar potential if he can grasp the intricacies of the offense.

Small forward

Candidates

Vaidotas Peciukas 6-7 205 Sr.

Julian Sensley 6-9 235 Jr.

Ryan Schmidt 6-6 215 Jr.

Rundown

Sensley is the only returning starter from last season's 21-12 team. He started all 33 games, finishing with averages of 12.3 points, 7.3 rebounds and 3.4 assists per game. Wallace said all five starting positions are up for grabs this season, but it's a safe bet that Sensley will be in the first group as long as he's healthy. He sustained a sprained ankle during yesterday's practice, and it could sideline him for a few days. Peciukas has also been sitting out of practice because of a knee injury, but Wallace expects him to be a key contributor this season. "He does things on offense that not too many guys can," Wallace said. "We'll need him in there." Among the walk-ons, Schmidt appears to be the only one with a shot at playing time.

Early edge

The entire edge may be Sensley's for the season. He averaged 35.1 minutes per game last season, and might get more than that this season because of his overall value.

Power forward

Candidates

Jeff Blackett 6-8 225 Sr.

Matt Gipson 6-9 220 Jr.

Rundown

Phil Martin held the starting role for the last four seasons, yet the 'Bows are expected to improve at the "4" spot. Blackett was the team's sixth man last season, averaging 7.9 points and 3.3 rebounds per game. "Of course, I'd like to start; I think everyone wants to," Blackett said. "But starting or not, a lot of guys should get an opportunity to play." Gipson has all-around skills similar to Sensley, and is considered the top new recruit. "I like what I see out of that spot," Wallace said. "And both those guys can move around and play other spots as well."

Early edge

Blackett's experience would put him in the starting lineup today. By the time the season actually starts next month, both players should be major contributors.

Center

Candidates

Chris Botez 7-0 220 Jr.

Milos Zivanovic 6-11 230 Jr.

Rundown

Botez and Zivanovic have similar stature, and may be interchangeable this season. Botez, a junior college transfer, has an effective left-handed hook shot and appears to be mobile enough to create problems for opposing centers. "We didn't do this much stuff on offense in junior college, so I'm still learning and I still need to figure out what I can do to help this team," he said. Zivanovic is in his fourth season at Hawai'i (he redshirted one year), and has made improvements every year. "We've been big the last few years and won a lot of games because of it," Wallace said. "The thing I think we have more of this year is depth. That should help all our big guys to stay rested."

Early edge

Botez has been the fastest learner among the newcomers, in part because he got extra reps last week. Zivanovic missed four practices because of the flu.